Phenom ii x4 965 at 3.8 ghz vs i5 3450

Which one will perform better in gaming? Specifically recording games. I realize the i5 is probably better. If it is, how much of an fps increase would I see with the 3450 vs 965 OC?
If its only going to be 5 fpsor so, I might as well stick with with the far cheaper option. But if its gonna be 15 fps or more of an increase, I will probably get the i5.
8 answers Last reply
More about phenom 3450
  1. That entirely depnds on the Graphics card and games played

EG

3450 + 550 ti would do worse than Phenom with a GTX670 in most titles

both with a 670 the i5 wins the amount it wins by varies by game
  2. like wr6133 said it would depend on the graphic card.
    but i would recommend an i5 over phenom ii x4 just beacuse it's faster, but if your on a budget get an phenom ii x4 because its ALOT cheaper, it's a good processor and you will be able to play games and multitask with ease if you had a decent graphic card.

i would pick i5 just because its faster and more future proof, try and stretch to a i5 2500 or 2500k.

good luck.
  3. wr6133 said:
    That entirely depnds on the Graphics card and games played

EG

3450 + 550 ti would do worse than Phenom with a GTX670 in most titles

both with a 670 the i5 wins the amount it wins by varies by game

For now, just a measly 7770. I'll be using it has a placeholder for some light/medium amounts of gaming until next year when I'll switch it out for a 7950, maybe 7970.

Also, I am definitely on a budget and the more money I can save the better. I would like to stay below 700 and the i5 with 7770 puts me right at 700.
  4. TheScarecrow97 said:
    For now, just a measly 7770. I'll be using it has a placeholder for some light/medium amounts of gaming until next year when I'll switch it out for a 7950, maybe 7970.

Also, I am definitely on a budget and the more money I can save the better. I would like to stay below 700 and the i5 with 7770 puts me right at 700.

Right Now on Newegg an HIS 7770 runs 130 with a 15 dollar MiR. Figure 230 for an I5 3570k, 160 for a motherboard, and 60 for 8gb of decent RAM, that only adds up to 580 or so. I personally am using an am2+ Phenom 940 oc'ed lightly at 3.4ghz and it runs just fine for anything I throw at it. However I plan on upgrading to the I5 next spring. Spend a little more money now, and future proof your cpu as opposed to saving money on what is essentially dead architecture.
  5. 700 dollors or 700 pounds?

umm get an i5 then. or you could get the phenom ii x4 and get an ssd.
  6. Swordkd said:
    Right Now on Newegg an HIS 7770 runs 130 with a 15 dollar MiR. Figure 230 for an I5 3570k, 160 for a motherboard, and 60 for 8gb of decent RAM, that only adds up to 580 or so. I personally am using an am2+ Phenom 940 oc'ed lightly at 3.4ghz and it runs just fine for anything I throw at it. However I plan on upgrading to the I5 next spring. Spend a little more money now, and future proof your cpu as opposed to saving money on what is essentially dead architecture.

I should have clarified. This is my first build so I need a case and an OS and I don't want to pirate. Sorry, I should have mentioned that.
  7. samuelohagan said:

Only reason I don't want an i3 is that I'm looking to record games with fraps. I don't think an i3 would handle that very well, so I'm looking at true quad cores. The i5 is seeming very likely at this point.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Gaming Intel i5 FPS Phenom Product