Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can I Run Military Sim ARMA 3?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 7, 2012 10:51:53 PM

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05/19/arma-3-system-require...

Above are the system requirements for a game im going to play a lot when it comes out. I just bought a new computer and im very, very, concerned that it might not be able to run it. The computer specs are:

8GB (4GB x2) DDR3-SDRAM-1333 750GB (7200rpm) hard drive Intel® Core™ i7-2760QM quad-core processor (2.40GHz / 3.50GHz with Turbo Boost) Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M (1GB) dedicated graphics

can I run it?

More about : run military sim arma

a c 161 Î Nvidia
April 7, 2012 11:02:39 PM

You probably can on lowered settings with the GPU being the biggest problem.
m
l
April 7, 2012 11:09:06 PM

ARMA games are pretty graphical. That 540 will run it on low. Laptops arent made for gaming.
m
l
Related resources
April 7, 2012 11:16:18 PM

i know but i need it for school as well so portability is importnat. what kind of render distance am i looking at?
m
l
April 8, 2012 2:16:33 AM

Not really sure if I can say how far, but most likely youll be running stuff on low settings for most any modern game.
m
l
April 8, 2012 2:31:09 AM

vrumor said:
Laptops arent made for gaming.

Clarification; some laptops aren't made for gaming. Just like some desktops aren't made for gaming. And each laptop GPU provides a different gaming experience, just like each desktop GPU provides varying degrees of gaming success.

To the OP, here is a site that provides some expectations regarding games using the GPU you have:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-540M.417...

Quote:
Performance

In general, the performance of the 540M lies between the Radeon HD 5650 and 5730 in our first benchmark tests. Therefore, the 540M is about 10% faster than the GT 435M using DDR3 graphics memory.

Paired with a fast CPU, demanding games of 2010 should run fluently in medium to high details and SXGA (1280x1024) resolution. In our tests, for example, Call of Duty: Black Ops and StarCraft 2 ran fluently in high details and 1360x768. More gaming benchmarks can be found below. Demanding games released in 2011 like Anno 2070 or Skyrim will only run fluent in low to medium detail settings.

Note that the HD 5650 and 5730 mentioned above are below the recommended specs for the game you are looking to run. This doesn't mean that the experience won't be possible. You may be OK running that game on low or even medium with some things turned down a bit. You do not provide your screen resolution, it plays a big part in the performance of the graphics card. It could make a big difference in playability.
m
l
April 8, 2012 2:42:36 AM

Clarification, at his price point laptops arent made for gaming. Is that better?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
April 8, 2012 3:08:55 AM

You can't play that game on high as said.

There are still many great games out there that are either older, but newer with lower specs that you can run, such as:

- Deus Ex #1
- Sam and Max series
- Angry Birds
- Trine
- Left 4 Dead 2 (maybe)
etc.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
April 8, 2012 3:11:28 AM

Listen you two, no need to get "Peachy" with eachother. The admins have spoken with most of the members already about attitudes toward other members. So keep it clean and PG alright?, no hostility towards other members ok?.

Now original Poster..... Like they said your gonna be running the game at Low settings most likely. Bottom line, other than the CPU being epic, the rest of the laptop is rather weaksauce for full on visual gaming. Also just speaking from Experience, Hardcore gaming isn't fully for laptops. gaming Laptops are for those kind of people who don't want to lugg a 30-35 pound gaming to lan partys, or just want something they can pop out and play Portal 2 in their hotel room while on vacation. So i am gonna help you out here. I am a student as well and a Laptop is supremely recommended for "College". Now since you have already gotten the laptop, i had to go back and edit my post. My thoughts are, your gonna handle the game fine frame rate wise. It would help if you would post a product link of the Laptop So i could have more details but far as i can tell, you will handle it ok. Just don't expect to max it out. Try the game on medium first without any other eye candy stuff. Distance wise, its not gonna matter either because as big as Arma is.... Just trust me, you will do ok
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
April 8, 2012 4:03:11 AM

Yea.... You should have done a little more re-search. I could have gotten you a Much better laptop for less.. And i am talking Dual GPU laptop with 3gb of vram 1080p
m
l
April 8, 2012 4:05:38 AM

adhdpimp said:
thank you, and here is the computer

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Categor...

my specific customizations are listed in the op and to the other person taking this serious its 1080p

Yeah, you most likely will not push that game at 1080p resolution and get acceptable results. However, you can lower the resolution in game to provide a more playable framerate. Sometimes even going down to 1050 can help since the card has to process fewer pixel output.

Is lower resolution ideal? That is up to you and your expectations. It may very well be passable experience. You may be able to trade off bleeding edge graphics for the overall gaming experience on the machine you have available to you. I pulled up Diablo II earlier today and played for a couple of hours at 800x600, I believe it was. I was very happy with it because I was seriously digging the game experience.
m
l
April 8, 2012 4:12:02 AM

lets see it?
m
l
April 8, 2012 4:15:25 AM

Rockdpm said:
Yea.... You should have done a little more re-search. I could have gotten you a Much better laptop for less.. And i am talking Dual GPU laptop with 3gb of vram 1080p

I am in the market for a dual GPU laptop if one could be snagged for ~1100.00. Dual mobile GPUs = goodness! Can you point me a direction for this type of deal?

(And no, desktops do not work for me. I have a few of those that never get used. The TSA seems to frown upon dragging desktop computers on flights. They are jerks like that.)
m
l
April 8, 2012 4:19:51 AM

yes i am as well very interested in how you do it. the computer i ordered hasn't even arrived yet and i would certainly send it back if you showed me how to get a, by what your describing, much better computer for less
m
l

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
April 8, 2012 4:34:07 AM

adhdpimp said:
yes i am as well very interested in how you do it. the computer i ordered hasn't even arrived yet and i would certainly send it back if you showed me how to get a, by what your describing, much better computer for less

Dang, its 12 am and i got Clients lol. hang on.

I hope you don't expect 1080p on the laptop (Seperate monitor not included)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (even refurb its a beast laptop. your getting a deal.

Another Laptop you may be interested in is the new Acer Timeline Ultrabook running the GT 640m, while some say its weak sauce (personally idc) it can handle BF3 at max settings and get smooth gameplay.
April 8, 2012 4:57:00 AM

ARG! You had me excited for dual GPUs! :p 

Eh, my current single 6970M will have to suffice for now. Nothing wrong with it, but hey... if you can come across a deal jump on it, right? I will keep on the prowl.

And yes, OP... those machines will provide a better gaming experience and well above the recommended specs for your game in question.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
April 8, 2012 1:57:12 PM

adhdpimp said:
your the man rockdpm

just found this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ITS CHEAPER, BETTER AND I THE SYSTEM REQUIRMENTS DONT EVEN FAZE ME NOW!!!!

Glad i could help, Enjoy your new Machine!> that laptop i guarantee you will smoke Arma on atleast high settings (may not max it out...but it will still smoke it)
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
April 8, 2012 1:58:30 PM

po1nted said:
ARG! You had me excited for dual GPUs! :p 

Eh, my current single 6970M will have to suffice for now. Nothing wrong with it, but hey... if you can come across a deal jump on it, right? I will keep on the prowl.

And yes, OP... those machines will provide a better gaming experience and well above the recommended specs for your game in question.

I did have one, it was the ASUS Laptop i showed but apparently i have showed it to too many people before and its out of stock. They should have more come in stock tho. the Non refurb edition is still up for grabs and is the same price as that MSI one
m
l
April 13, 2012 4:59:37 PM

Best answer selected by ADHDPIMP.
m
l
!