soft images

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
July 20, 2005 9:46:22 PM

I usually use automatic settings on cameras (due to lack of superior
knowledge) and often find photos are soft around the edges and not sharp.
What do I need to know to make my pictures sharper?
If there is an in-depth answer does anyone know of a tutorial I can have a
look at please?

More about : soft images

July 20, 2005 10:22:44 PM

"Beck" <my_bulkmail@btopenworld.invalid> wrote in message
>I usually use automatic settings on cameras (due to lack of superior
>knowledge) and often find photos are soft around the edges and not sharp.
> What do I need to know to make my pictures sharper?
> If there is an in-depth answer does anyone know of a tutorial I can have a
> look at please?

either

1. Check for a sharpening setting on your camera and enable it
2. Use some photo processing software eg Paint Shop Pro, Abode Elements etc
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 5:10:32 AM

Almost all the lenses, even the most expensive and mostly the wide angles
are sharper in the middle than in the edges. This is worst with zooms and
worst with cheap zooms.

It becomes better when you use not wide-open apertures. Significantly
better. As a rule of thumb, you must expect the best definition in the area
of F5,6 to F11, depending of the lens and about 2 or 3 stops down from the
widest. For ex, a F4 lens, will be expected to have his best definition in
the F8 to 11 and a F2,8 from 5,6 to 8.

So, if you want to achieve the best definition, you can use in your camera
the "Aperture priority" mode, setting the aperture to that area and monitor
the speed to be in reasonable area.
--
Dimitris M

> I usually use automatic settings on cameras (due to lack of superior
> knowledge) and often find photos are soft around the edges and not sharp.
> What do I need to know to make my pictures sharper?
> If there is an in-depth answer does anyone know of a tutorial I can have a
> look at please?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 21, 2005 5:10:33 AM

Dimitris M wrote:
> Almost all the lenses, even the most expensive and mostly the wide
> angles are sharper in the middle than in the edges. This is worst
> with zooms and worst with cheap zooms.
>
> It becomes better when you use not wide-open apertures. Significantly
> better. As a rule of thumb, you must expect the best definition in
> the area of F5,6 to F11, depending of the lens and about 2 or 3 stops
> down from the widest. For ex, a F4 lens, will be expected to have his
> best definition in the F8 to 11 and a F2,8 from 5,6 to 8.
>
> So, if you want to achieve the best definition, you can use in your
> camera the "Aperture priority" mode, setting the aperture to that
> area and monitor the speed to be in reasonable area.
>
>> I usually use automatic settings on cameras (due to lack of superior
>> knowledge) and often find photos are soft around the edges and not
>> sharp. What do I need to know to make my pictures sharper?
>> If there is an in-depth answer does anyone know of a tutorial I can
>> have a look at please?

Thankyou for the advice Dimitris. My next project is to work on aperture
priority and see what the score is :-)
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 1:13:03 PM

3. upgrade to a lens [or camera] that has better sharpness on the edges.

=bob=

news:D bm197$pgq$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...

!