Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Old llano chip for cheap or new trinity chip?

Last response: in CPUs
October 3, 2012 11:19:56 PM

Hey,

I am looking to build a budget system for general use. I will mostly be using the computer for word processing, excel, statistical software like STATA, HD streaming (Netflix), and web surfing. For my CPU I intended to get a AMD A series A8. My question is if the new trinity A8-3600k going to be substantially better than the old A8-3670k? I have just noticed some of the old A8-3670k chips popping up on ebay for around $60, and was thinking I could save $50 if the newer chip isn't going to make any difference in performace. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Best solution

a b à CPUs
October 4, 2012 12:11:07 AM

they are roughly the same in their cpu power, graphic wise the new trinity is considerably better A8 and A10.

If your not overclocking, you might want to consider the non K versions. the K are a 100W part, the non k are 65W. Their clock speed are not that different, they were binned for better efficiency. Depending on what your energy costs are, you have to take that into consideration.

The other question is if you would even consider upgrading the "CPU" later down the road. If thats the case, the A8 3870's FM1 motherboard has no future cpus.
a c 177 à CPUs
October 4, 2012 12:52:44 AM

Trinity all the wall beside the fact the igpu is better there based off pile driver and should overall be better even llano A8 vs trinity A8, but id prefer spend the extra $20 or so and go for the A10
m
l
Related resources
a c 152 à CPUs
October 4, 2012 1:08:54 AM

I wouldn't bother with the Llano APU's. All they are is a crappy Athlon II equivelant with good integrated graphics. The newer APU's have better CPU power and updated graphics based on the 7000 series of video cards.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2012 3:09:29 AM

Get the Trinity A10 chips,
1) Coz they have much better CPU as well as GPU performance than llano (around 20% and 35% roughly)
2) They are socket FM2 based, which AMD will support for another generation of APU's. Llano's socket FM1 is already dead.

There's a reason why llano chip's have become so dramatically cheap; now that trinity is here, no one wants to buy llano !!! :) 
m
l
October 8, 2012 11:11:56 PM

noob2222 said:
they are roughly the same in their cpu power, graphic wise the new trinity is considerably better A8 and A10.

If your not overclocking, you might want to consider the non K versions. the K are a 100W part, the non k are 65W. Their clock speed are not that different, they were binned for better efficiency. Depending on what your energy costs are, you have to take that into consideration.

The other question is if you would even consider upgrading the "CPU" later down the road. If thats the case, the A8 3870's FM1 motherboard has no future cpus.

I hadn't thought of the possibility of upgrading before, but I think upgrading the cpu instead of rebuilding the whole system would definitely be a consideration down the line. Also I am not planning on overclocking so I guess i might as well save the power. I was mostly considering the 3870k because for some reason on average it is cheaper than the 3850.
m
l
October 8, 2012 11:16:09 PM

lazyboy947 said:
Trinity all the wall beside the fact the igpu is better there based off pile driver and should overall be better even llano A8 vs trinity A8, but id prefer spend the extra $20 or so and go for the A10

I have also been considering that since its not too much more $$$. If I am not planning on overclocking will I really see a difference between the a10-5700 @ 3.2 ghz and the a10-5800k @3.8 ghz ? the a10-5800k is actually cheaper on amazon right now.
m
l
a c 480 à CPUs
October 8, 2012 11:38:57 PM

Based on what you plan on doing you should not see any difference between the A10-5700 and the A10-5800k OC'ed. The only exception would be Stata since it is a CPU intensive program.
m
l
October 13, 2012 5:19:22 PM

Best answer selected by dagsyo.
m
l
!