Jun 5, 2012
Parts:

ASUS P8Z77-V motherboard
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W PSU
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz CPU
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO HSF
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Memory
EVGA Geforce GTX 670
Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2CCA 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Corsair Obsidian Series 550D Case

So I built a brand new PC about a month ago, and it has been running great with no problems at all until recently.
I booted into windows one day, walked away for a few minutes. When I came back, my PC was turned off and I haven't been able to turn it on since.

Removed the mobo from the case to breadboard it. Removed GPU. The green LED lights up when plugged in.

1. When I try to power on with both the main power AND the 8-pin CPU power cable plugged in to the mobo:
Absolutely nothing happens. No beeps from internal speaker, no PSU fan.

2. When I power on with ONLY the main power leaving the 8-pin CPU power cable unplugged:
A red light flashes for a split second, then nothing.

At first I thought PSU issue, but the PSU works fine when I use it in another computer and it passes the paper clip test. Also, the exact same thing happens when I used an old working 250w PSU instead, so I really don't think this is a power supply issue.

Did my motherboard just randomly die on me after a month with no problems? Seems unlikely... but what else could it be?

Solution
Yeah.. sounds to me like your MoBo just died. You should contact Asus Customer Service and get it RMA'd.

You can try contacting the manufacturer's tech support for advice on what to do next to diagnose the problem. Honestly though, it is most likely that the things they would tell you you have already done.

l0v3rboi

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Yeah.. sounds to me like your MoBo just died. You should contact Asus Customer Service and get it RMA'd.

You can try contacting the manufacturer's tech support for advice on what to do next to diagnose the problem. Honestly though, it is most likely that the things they would tell you you have already done.

Solution

Cezzix

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012

Thanks for the reply.

I am currently trying to RMA the mobo through the ASUS website with the "RMA request form", but they haven't replied after 2 days. I'm gonna try calling them tomorrow. I just wanted to make sure that the mobo was actually the problem and I wasn't wasting my time.

ih8mydroid

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Cezzix, did you never find out what happened with this? I am having the exact same issue with my new MSI board. It just stopped booting, with the 8pin cpu connector and 24 pin power connector attached, I get bubkis. If I run with just the 24 pin connector, I get a small bit of power for a second(fans will start to spin up) and then I get nothing.

Skwint

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012

I've just experienced the exact same symptoms when I tried to upgrade from a cheap 550W PSU to a Zalman ZM600W HP. Every time I tried to boot it ran for just a few seconds and then died. I took it out and replaced it with the old and supposedly less powerful and reliable one and it's running perfectly again. So maybe it's not your mobo that's gone south, it could be your PSU.
I'm going to stick with the 'If it ain't broke don't fix it' rule in the future.

Skwint

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012

Good luck with it.
I bought the PSU on ebay and the seller has agreed to accept it back and give a refund, but it's going to cost 10 pounds/15 dollars in postage. :(