Sign in with
Your question

Dumb Question: New Build won't come up on Plasma TV

Last response: in Systems
June 6, 2012 7:17:25 AM

This is a SUPER dumb question but I want to make sure everything is working normally. :ange: 

So I just put together a fresh new build that includes the GTX 670. It's currently hooked up via HDMI to my Plasma TV. NOTHING is loaded on the PC. I turned the switch on, hoping to see the POST and be able to play with the BIOS. However, nothing comes up except the blue standby screen on my Plasma.

Am I correct to understand that I'll need a computer monitor in the interim since the Plasma can't display low resolutions (either because it can't handle those resolutions or because of HDCP/HDMI handshake issues)?

Or perhaps I have to go get a DVi-to-VGA adapter and an old school VGA cable to hook up to the TV - at least during this initial setup phase?

Sorry again...haven't built a PC in almost a decade! :ange: 
June 6, 2012 7:34:52 AM

There's no daft questions here at tom's! - were learning ALL the time :) 

Is you tv set to the connected hdmi lead? (damnit, it's not a daft question - many tvs have, like, billions of connections lol)

Does your 670 have multiple hdmi out's - try another (one might be the default)

Try connecting to a standard pc monitor - just to prove everything's ok and you can actually see the bios boot info.

I'm not aware of any problems in using plasma's with pc's (I'm fairly sure there's none).
m
l
June 6, 2012 4:14:32 PM

Hmm... the HDMI is connected to my Receiver. The same port/plug was previously connected to my Xbox 360.

Is it strange that I didn't get a video signal via HDMI? I could see the GTX 670 fan going, so clearly it's getting power from the 2 PCI-E 6-pin connectors. Again, there's no OS or anything on there so I don't know if that plays a factor.

I actually don't own a traditional computer monitor...all laptops/tablets in the house. However, I think my Plasma TV (Panasonic GT25) has a VGA connector in the back. I will try that using the DVI-to-VGA adapter tonight... but please let me know if you still think that no image via HDMI is strange.
m
l
!