Task menu changed by itself

I had a virus that appears to have altered my task menu, and now I can't get
the old one back. It has changed to classic view (along with open windows),
but I liked the XP themes. I tried changing the properties of the task menu,
but it stays the same. How can I get the XP theme back??

zulu

System Restore?

"lady_aerin" <lady_aerin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had a virus that appears to have altered my task menu, and now I can't
>get
> the old one back. It has changed to classic view (along with open
> windows),
> but I liked the XP themes. I tried changing the properties of the task
> menu,
> but it stays the same. How can I get the XP theme back??

Make sure that the Themes service is started and running. Click Start/Run
and type Services.msc

Double-click Themes
Set it's startup mode to Automatic
Start the service manually.

-and/or-

Right-click an empty area of the desktop, and then click Properties
In the Themes tab, select Windows XP
Click OK

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"lady_aerin" <lady_aerin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had a virus that appears to have altered my task menu, and now I can't
>get
> the old one back. It has changed to classic view (along with open
> windows),
> but I liked the XP themes. I tried changing the properties of the task
> menu,
> but it stays the same. How can I get the XP theme back??

I tried both; neither worked. What I really want is the task menu to have the
XP theme (blue and 'bubble' look).

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Make sure that the Themes service is started and running. Click Start/Run
> and type Services.msc
>
> Double-click Themes
> Set it's startup mode to Automatic
> Start the service manually.
>
> -and/or-
>
> Right-click an empty area of the desktop, and then click Properties
> In the Themes tab, select Windows XP
> Click OK
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "lady_aerin" <lady_aerin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I had a virus that appears to have altered my task menu, and now I can't
> >get
> > the old one back. It has changed to classic view (along with open
> > windows),
> > but I liked the XP themes. I tried changing the properties of the task
> > menu,
> > but it stays the same. How can I get the XP theme back??

never mind--system crashed and I had to reinstall windows and now its back.
The XP theme for appearance had been missing, but I've got it now. Thank you
for your help.

"lady_aerin" wrote:

> I tried both; neither worked. What I really want is the task menu to have the
> XP theme (blue and 'bubble' look).
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
> > Make sure that the Themes service is started and running. Click Start/Run
> > and type Services.msc
> >
> > Double-click Themes
> > Set it's startup mode to Automatic
> > Start the service manually.
> >
> > -and/or-
> >
> > Right-click an empty area of the desktop, and then click Properties
> > In the Themes tab, select Windows XP
> > Click OK
> >
> > --
> > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> > Windows XP Shell/User
> > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >

> > "lady_aerin" <lady_aerin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I had a virus that appears to have altered my task menu, and now I can't
> > >get
> > > the old one back. It has changed to classic view (along with open
> > > windows),
> > > but I liked the XP themes. I tried changing the properties of the task
> > > menu,
> > > but it stays the same. How can I get the XP theme back??

No problem. Glad you got this resolved.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User