Sign in with
Your question

Need help picking a Case & Power Supply

Last response: in Systems
June 6, 2012 9:31:22 AM

Hey all.

I am in the process of buying parts towards building my first PC and am happy with everything but I need help picking a case and power supply.

I currently have the BitFenix Merc Alpha listed and I like the look of this case but it is only $49. Is this too cheap? Am I getting a good case for this price or are they low quality?

If not, then can you please recommend a better case?

Also, this is a bit of a noob question but will everything fit in any case that I go with?

Next is the Power Supply, I currently have the OCZ ZT Series 650W listed but they do not stock these locally. What are other good Power Supplies that I can get for a good price?

Thank-you.
June 6, 2012 10:24:49 AM

I don't know a whole lot as I am in the process of building my own pc for the first time but I do know that some parts wont fit in to some cases. Graphics cards for example vary in length and width so if you are going with dedicated graphics as opposed to integrated graphics you will need to make sure your case can fit the card you will be purchasing.

As for your power supply we will need to know your planned system specs to see how much power you need for your pc.

This review of the case you are looking at seems useful, it lets you know how big of a graphics card you can fit and some other info. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Bitfenix-Merc-Al...

Hope this helps a bit, sorry i couldnt fully answer your questions!
June 6, 2012 10:34:27 AM

No worries, here is the spec list:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($32.12 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($142.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($419.99 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Merc Alpha ATX Mid Tower Case ($36.22 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: OCZ 750W ATX12V Power Supply ($79.96 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1021.12
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-06-06 06:34 EDT-0400)
Related resources
June 6, 2012 11:06:06 AM

That case is pretty good especially for the price. Everything should fit in there. I would suggest getting filters though for the fans (according to the linked review, it does not come with dust filters). It will get very dusty very quickly inside your PC if you don't.

For your PSU question, I would suggest the xfx core edition 750W.
June 6, 2012 11:12:05 AM

steve695 said:
Hey all.

I am in the process of buying parts towards building my first PC and am happy with everything but I need help picking a case and power supply.

I currently have the BitFenix Merc Alpha listed and I like the look of this case but it is only $49. Is this too cheap? Am I getting a good case for this price or are they low quality?

If not, then can you please recommend a better case?

Also, this is a bit of a noob question but will everything fit in any case that I go with?

Next is the Power Supply, I currently have the OCZ ZT Series 650W listed but they do not stock these locally. What are other good Power Supplies that I can get for a good price?

Thank-you.

Corsair AX 650W should be a good replacement for that OCZ ZT 650W. Best quality you can have.
June 6, 2012 12:46:39 PM

l0v3rboi said:
That case is pretty good especially for the price. Everything should fit in there. I would suggest getting filters though for the fans (according to the linked review, it does not come with dust filters). It will get very dusty very quickly inside your PC if you don't.

For your PSU question, I would suggest the xfx core edition 750W.

Will the one fan that the case comes with be enough or should I buy a few extra 120mm fans?

What exactly are filters? I have never actually heard of such a thing, are they expensive? How much does dust matter?

Thanks for the tip on the XFX Core 750W, I am pretty sure that my local shop sells them :) 
June 6, 2012 1:19:39 PM

steve695 said:
Will the one fan that the case comes with be enough or should I buy a few extra 120mm fans?

What exactly are filters? I have never actually heard of such a thing, are they expensive? How much does dust matter?

Thanks for the tip on the XFX Core 750W, I am pretty sure that my local shop sells them :) 

Dust will have the same affect as a blanket. It will trap heat. Dust is BAD.

Check out these fans http://www.corsair.com/us/cpu-cooling-kits/air-series-fans/air-series-af120-performance-edition-high-airflow-120mm-fan.html
June 6, 2012 5:16:11 PM

steve695 said:

Dust filters, as the name implies, filters out dust from the air going into your system. It is important to keep your system as dust free as possible because it causes an increase in heat which leads to more issues down the road (reduced lifespan of components, decrease in performance, etc.). They should not be expensive. Probably around $5-$10.

I would hold off on buying fans at the moment. Your system will not produce a significant amount of heat anyway. Also, in you MoBo package, there should be MoBo utilities included where you can monitor temperatures. Just check temps and see how hot it gets in there. If it gets hotter than you would like, buy the extra fans (they're cheap anyway). If it does not, then I don't see the need.
June 6, 2012 5:20:37 PM

See if you can find a TX650 v2.
June 6, 2012 11:52:38 PM

azeem40 said:
See if you can find a TX650 v2.

My local shop doesn't stock them. It sticks Corsair, XFX, Thermaltake, Cooler Master, Antec & Entermax Power Supplies.

I will go with a decent Corsair 650w I think.
June 7, 2012 8:03:12 AM

steve695 said:
My local shop doesn't stock them. It sticks Corsair, XFX, Thermaltake, Cooler Master, Antec & Entermax Power Supplies.

I will go with a decent Corsair 650w I think.

That is why I suggest the Corsair AX 650W Gold, made by Seasonic which is top of the line in terms of quality.
June 7, 2012 11:14:59 AM

The Corsair TX series is also made by Seasonic (if I'm not mistaken) so if you want something cheaper, you can get that.
!