Upgrading Graphics Card

AustinA

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
Hey there, I am upgrading my graphics card tomorrow, or soon after, and I was wondering whats a good card for gaming in the price rage of 300-350$?

I was looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150608

I have a 500 W power supply which is also the minimum recommended. Would this run on my computer?

Here is my motherboard model. It is AMD.

Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Model GA-A75M-D2H (Socket M2)
Chipset Vendor AMD

My CPU is AMD A6-3650 Quad Core

8GB of RAM if it matter :eek:

Thanks. :bounce:

Also, is there a better card out there in that price range I said above?

I am looking to upgrade because I am on a Radeon 3600 lol... not going to cut it anymore.

Im gonna guess that your power supply isnt very good since you state its a 500 w one that meets minimal requirements. Thats a good way to blow out your PC. Generally low end PSUs have a tendency when they go, to take everything with it. Get a quality PSU, Seasonic, XFX, Corsair before you buy any GPU. Not a piece of crap.

andrewcarr

Distinguished
He is saying that because it is the minimal requirement listed for the card on manufacturers website although asking the brand is a good idea.

Posted without refreshing.
The XFX brand is one of the best so yes it's fine.

AustinA

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
It is a 500W Turbolink, came with my PC. would I buy a cheap 90$ 650W one? I really dont know how to mess with all the cords that come with the higher end ones

AustinA

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
Thanks for all the tips, just one more thing then I know what I need and I'm done, is the extra money worth the performance boost with the 7850 vs 7870 ?

and how hard is it to replace your PSU? I have never done it before

andrewcarr

Distinguished
I personally don't believe it is that hard replacing the PSU because I have done it quit a few times. With that 550w modular one it should be pretty easy. Your HDD have one SATA power connector along with the Optical drives. Your motherboard has one main connector (20/24 pin connector) and another one for your CPU cooler fan (4/8 pin connector). Depending on your case you may also have some fans connected to the PSU by molex/peripheral connectors. Lastly the GPU will have one or two (one for 7850 two for 7870) PCI-E connectors.

You can decide if you think the 7870 is worth the increase in price over the 7850. The 7870 performs close to the 580 and the 7850 performs similar to the 570.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-review-benchmark,3148.html