Sign in with
Your question

Custom Rig won't turn on

Last response: in Systems
June 6, 2012 9:40:52 AM

Back in October 2011 I built a gaming rig on a tight budget. In mid-March 2012 the motherboard went kaput due to an electrical brown-out.

I spent a month arguing with ASUS before they sent me a DoA board and another month before they replaced that which arrived a few days ago. I got it in and things seemed to run fine until just 40 minutes ago (as of this post).

What happened? It turned itself off while I was browsing the web. A game was running in the background too but that was the only other stressful thing it was doing (Half-Life 2). After its random shutoff, it promtply turned back on but it only stayed on for a couple of seconds before shutting off again.

I've pulled a couple tricks to no effect, it would just shut itself back off and not even POST. And now? it won't even react when I push the front panel power button. Sure the MOBO's lights are on and it is receiving power, it just won't power up.

I've even done a couple other tricks like disconnecting periphreals (except the monitor and keyboard) and removing all the ram cards (it won't even give me a POST error beep sequence when I do that). I'm thinking either the board died or the PSU did, or both. Specs to follow.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 980 BE
HDD: Segeate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM
Video: XFX Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5
PSU: Visiontek 650W Dual Rail
MOBO: Asus M4A88T-V Evo/USB3
Monitor: Acer S231HL (1920x1080)
Optical: LG DVD/CDRW 16x combo drive

Anyone have any ideas what happened for it to just shut off in the middle of what I was doing and then wind up in this comatose state? I did make a backup of my drive (and a system image too) just the day before, so if I have to do something pretty extreme, I have the drive ISO and the backup folders as a fallback.

More about : custom rig turn

a b B Homebuilt system
June 6, 2012 10:12:59 AM

if the power supply still under warranty i would rma it. the problem right now is how much damage was done from the brown out from last year. the power supply may have been fine with light loads but when you loaded the power supply down when playing a video game that part that might have taken a hit in the brown out failed. the other issue is if the power supply is fine then it looks like the mb they sent you failed...most time a failure like that it the power section of the mb. i would start be seeing if someone had a spare ps that you could use to bread board the mb and see if it powers on.
June 6, 2012 3:26:59 PM

smorizio said:
if the power supply still under warranty i would rma it. the problem right now is how much damage was done from the brown out from last year. the power supply may have been fine with light loads but when you loaded the power supply down when playing a video game that part that might have taken a hit in the brown out failed. the other issue is if the power supply is fine then it looks like the mb they sent you failed...most time a failure like that it the power section of the mb. i would start be seeing if someone had a spare ps that you could use to bread board the mb and see if it powers on.

The brown-out was this past March around the 12th. So it was as recent as 2 months ago. And the only other PSU I have is an older one that came with my case which itself is 6 years old and a lower output to boot (300 watts I think, or maybe 500. I can't recall).

Update: I had to do a little jiggering with the PSU and made 10 more attempts to get my system to start. It has a small slider switch in the back that most older PSU's have for selecting the voltage of the outlet it's plugged into. I was getting it to power on the first three times before it would shut off before POST.

The 4th time it powered on and did a POST but told me my CPU couldn't use the ASUS Core Unlocker and I should run the BIOS setup again. In this attempt it stayed on for a full minute while I was configuring the BIOS before it shut off.

Attempt 5 through 8 were the "unresponsive power button" issues.

Attempt 9 turned out similar to attempts 1 through 3.

Finally attempt 10. It came on, it did a POST check said power surges were detected and my PSU was unstable. Again it asked me to run BIOS setup but this time because overclocking failed on my CPU (it was set to be 2% OC). Did a quick config and it went all the way to the Windows Desktop this time. Even my CPU is using all 4 cores like it should be right now.

Does this help any? Does it point out the problem as being with the PSU or the MOBO? Or is the CPU potentially going kaput too?

Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
June 6, 2012 7:08:11 PM

the mb is working fine..right now your killing it with a bad power supply. the mb bios at boot told you there was power issues.
flipping the 110-220v switch is not smart. i rma the power supply as i posted before.
June 6, 2012 9:56:33 PM

smorizio said:
the mb is working fine..right now your killing it with a bad power supply. the mb bios at boot told you there was power issues.
flipping the 110-220v switch is not smart. i rma the power supply as i posted before.

It wouldn't turn on /unless/ I gently fiddled with that little switch. I'm going to see if Visiontek has an RMA system.

EDIT: They do but the receipt from the store is required. The UPC code doesn't qualify. Going to have to scour for it and if I can't find it I'll have to buy a new PSU outright.
!