Rate my Build! (First Timer)

TkTk

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Hey all :) I'm new to the forums here, and need a little bit of advice concerning my first ever PC build. It'll be a mid/entry level computer powerful enough for gaming, but my primary concerns are ensuring good performance in cooling and just keeping things under control (paranoid technology owner).

SPEC LISTING UPDATED MUCH FURTHER DOWN PAGE!!

TkTk

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Editing not allowed yet and I accidently submitted! Woops!

Here is the spec listing all over again!

System Usage: Gaming / Programming / Emulating Linux

Overclocking: Yes, but only in a safe way.

SLI or Crossfire: No

Components:

Case - Corsair Carbide 300R
PSU - OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W
GPU - AMD HD 6850
CPU - Intel i5-3570k
Fan - Zalman CNPS-9900 Max
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H 115 Socket
HDD - Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 7200RPM
Ram - 8GB (2x4GB) Ripjaws DDR3 1600mhz

I have no idea which Optical Drive to get! And are anti-static pieces of equipment like bracelets etc vital when constructing a PC?

Thanks in advance for all the help! :)

The gpu is definitely the weak link in that system. What resolution are you running?

The psu is an older model OCZ and iffy. I would suggest a better quality 500-550w psu. I recommend one of these.

http://www.dabs.com/products/xfx-550-watt-core-edition-full-wired-80--bronze-psu-7NSW.html?refs=55420000&src=3 5yr warranty

http://www.dabs.com/products/antec-520w-high-current-gamer-80plus-bronze-psu-7QST.html?refs=55420000&src=3 3yr warranty

For a DVD-RW, go for whatever is cheapest. Lite-on, LG, Asus, Sony or Samsung.

You don't need an anti-static band. Just don't work on carpet and don't walk across carpet when working on it.

Always touch the case or power supply before touching each component to discharge any static. Handle your components by the edges, meaning don't touch the chips, capacitors, traces, etc.

Lay any components your about to install or just uninstalled on a anti-static bag, don't just set it on the counter. The mobo bag or video card anti-static bag is good.

The case is decent, also consider the Antec 302.

TkTk

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

I'm not sure if you were aware, but I am running on a budget :( Trying to stay under £720-ish.

Well I'm running a laptop currently, yet I intend to use a (roughly) 19inch by 10inch monitor so 1920x1080 I'm guessing. I thought the 6850 was quite a cost-effective graphics card, yet I understand the one I hunted down was incredibly budget (and slightly dodgy). Suggestions? :??:

Thanks for the PSU suggestions, they look great. I'm aware this rig wouldn't require high wattage, yet I was under the impression if even considering overclocking or holding onto the pc for a while (and upgrading), that it was worth going over-the-top on power. Hence the 700watt initially! But if you're confident in those two, I guess that's good enough for me.

Oh and just a final question... I'm obviously going to be running a HDD as my boot drive, rather than investing in a SSD. As I intend to purchase OEM windows, I'm not entirely familiar with the OEM installation process, but would it favour going with a SSD as boot drive right from the go even if it's costly?

Thanks a bunch,
TkTk :)

Your lecturing me about your strict budget, yet your asking me if you should go with a SSD right off the bat...........that's funny, and quite contradictory.

Oem installation process? Windows is Windows.

Why are you guessing your resolution? You can't look and see? My 22" is only 1680x1050, but today they are all standard 1920x1080.

TkTk

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Well there is obviously some flexibility, and if it seems vital to go with a SSD at this moment in time, then obviously it's worth the cost. And I was just ensuring you were aware of budget, not battering on about it :p So.... Thoughts?

It doesn't actually say on the monitor and I can't check by turning it on as this laptop is so ancient using dual monitors is a no-no. After looking it up, finally found out it has a max of 1920*1080. As suspected.

Sorry if I'm making you angry, I'm still new to things and there are so many questions running through my mind!

TkTk

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

I'm assuming if I take off the SSD I should definitely upgrade HDD to a 7200rpm and maybe 64 cache? Also, I'm aware of the differance in overclocking capabilities between sandy/ivy bridge, but does this motherboard provide good overclocking features at such a low cost?

Still, brilliant build suggestion! Thanks very much indeed for the effort!
I'm impressed, it looks like it is very high performance for the cost (I guess I don't work very cost effectively).

TkTk

TkTk

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Here it goes, another bash at the build!

I would greatly appreciate some help with the PSU and HDD and GPU.

GPU : I'm really pushing my budget, and wondered if stepping down from the GTX 480 to an AMD would mean dropping serious frames?

PSU : I feel unhappy going below 600W with the future in mind, and with potential overclocking.... So I've chosen a 650W, not so sure about it tbh. If you think 550W will definitely cut it, that'd be good, shaving an extra 20 bob or so.

Storage : Also in terms of HDD. What is the best way to go.... 750GB-1TB 5900RPM kind of thing + cheap SSD OR high performance 1TB 7200RPM 64mb cache etc?

Specs

PSU : Corsair TX650-V2 OR XFX 550W Core 80+ Bronze

GPU : Nvidea GTX 480 OR XFX HD 6950

Mobo : Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 1155 Set

Case : Antec Three Hundred Two

Fan : Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo

CPU : Intel i5-2500k

Optical : Liteon-ihas123

RAM : G-Skill Ripjaws 8gb (2x4gb) 1600

HDD + SSD : 1TB Seagate Barracuda 5900 RPM 32mb Cache + 120gb OCZ Agility 3 SSD (went with 120gb as more cost effective following ocz price cuts)

OR

HDD : Hitachi Deskstar 7200RPM 1TB 32mb Cache

Gallarian

Distinguished
Seeing as youre in the UK - I would suggest just taking the easy route and getting these:

Tower: http://3xs.scan.co.uk/ShowSystem.asp?SystemID=1346

Screen: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/215-acer-s221hqlbid-led-monitor-full-hd-hdmi-dvi-vga-1920x1080-120m1-250cd-m2-5ms

Scan are a brilliant PC store and their 3XS systems are built very well - my brother and one of my friends have just bought the things I have linked. Delivered to the door within 2 days and all you'll have to do it choose a spot and power it up.

Gallarian

Distinguished
Note: You get a 500w Corsair PSU FREE with the case - so if youre that worried about power (which you shouldnt be really), all youd have to do is buy a PSU separately and just install it.

TkTk

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Thanks for linking the build, I had considered 3XS. The only issue I'm having, is that I'm not happy paying more for a pre-built PC which will have lower specs. Obviously for the price I'm getting a worst psu/case/gpu/fan! Also, I feel like building a PC is a necessary skill I should have :p

I would have considered more, if it wasn't over ~750.

Gallarian

Distinguished

To bo honest, I dont see where youd be paying more for less - only thatd youd be paying less for less (but you could easily just get the next pre-built system up from the G30) - remember that all previously linked builds have not included a screen, an operating system or a CD drive which would increase their total cost by ~200.

But, as you said theres nothing like building your own PC to get your skills and knowledge up, so fair play :)

Good luck with your build and hopefully all goes well!

TkTk

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Well I already have two monitors, I have taken OS costs into account (shame its so expensive to get WP7) and the optical I think I may have linked above! So all is well :)

Thanks very much for the help! :)