Can't rename Icons on Desktop

Well, actually I can, but I can't do it by Right Click | Rename or by F2.
If I try either of these, the rename-box opens very briefly and then closes
by itself.

I can still rename desktop icons by Right Click | Properties | General and
then changing the name in the first subwindow.

I can also rename desktop icons by using Windows Explorer to navigate to my
desktop folder and then changing the name there with any of the usual
methods.

But I can't just rename a desktop icon the old fashioned way.

The system is Windows XP Pro with SP1 and some additional security updates
but not the entire SP2. This crazy behavior started about a week ago and
doesn't AFAICR coincide with any program installation.

I'll appreciate any suggestions, hints, URLs and expressions of sincere
sympathy.

TIA
Norm

Norm Dresner rambled on in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:

> Well, actually I can, but I can't do it by Right Click | Rename or by F2.
> If I try either of these, the rename-box opens very briefly and then
closes
> by itself.
>
> I can still rename desktop icons by Right Click | Properties | General
and
> then changing the name in the first subwindow.
>
> I can also rename desktop icons by using Windows Explorer to navigate to
my
> desktop folder and then changing the name there with any of the usual
> methods.
>
> But I can't just rename a desktop icon the old fashioned way.
>
> The system is Windows XP Pro with SP1 and some additional security
updates
> but not the entire SP2. This crazy behavior started about a week ago and
> doesn't AFAICR coincide with any program installation.
>
> I'll appreciate any suggestions, hints, URLs and expressions of sincere
> sympathy.
>
> TIA
> Norm

There shouldn't be any box trying to open on rename

| Norm Dresner:
|
| > Well, actually I can, but I can't do it by Right Click | Rename or by F2.
| > If I try either of these, the rename-box opens very briefly and then
| closes by itself.
| >
| > I can still rename desktop icons by Right Click | Properties | General
| and then changing the name in the first subwindow.
| >
| > I can also rename desktop icons by using Windows Explorer to navigate to
| my desktop folder and then changing the name there with any of the usual
| > methods.
| >
| > But I can't just rename a desktop icon the old fashioned way.
| >
| > The system is Windows XP Pro with SP1 and some additional security
| updates but not the entire SP2. This crazy behavior started about a week ago and
| > doesn't AFAICR coincide with any program installation.
| >
| > I'll appreciate any suggestions, hints, URLs and expressions of sincere
| > sympathy.
| >
| > TIA
| > Norm

"Black Baptist":
| There shouldn't be any box trying to open on rename

What about the rectangle surrounding the text during rename?

a nonymous rambled on in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:

> | Norm Dresner:
> |
>| > Well, actually I can, but I can't do it by Right Click | Rename or by
F2.
>| > If I try either of these, the rename-box opens very briefly and then
closes by
>| > itself.
>| >
>| > I can still rename desktop icons by Right Click | Properties | General
and then
>| > changing the name in the first subwindow.
>| >
>| > I can also rename desktop icons by using Windows Explorer to navigate
to my
>| > desktop folder and then changing the name there with any of the usual
methods.

>| > But I can't just rename a desktop icon the old fashioned way.
>| >
>| > The system is Windows XP Pro with SP1 and some additional security
updates but
>| > not the entire SP2. This crazy behavior started about a week ago and
doesn't
>| > AFAICR coincide with any program installation.
>| >
>| > I'll appreciate any suggestions, hints, URLs and expressions of
sincere
>| > sympathy.
>| >
>| > TIA
>| > Norm
>
> "Black Baptist":
> | There shouldn't be any box trying to open on rename
>

> What about the rectangle surrounding the text during rename?

yea that I thought you ment a popup box

"Black Baptist" <pray@the.church.com> wrote in message
> a nonymous rambled on in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
>

> > | Norm Dresner:

> F2.
> closes by
> >| >
> >| > I can still rename desktop icons by Right Click | Properties |
General
> and then

> to my
> methods.

> updates but
> doesn't

> sincere

> > "Black Baptist":
> > | There shouldn't be any box trying to open on rename
> >

> > What about the rectangle surrounding the text during rename?
> >

> yea that I thought you ment a popup box

What I meant -- as BB suggested -- was the little box surrounding the name
when you highlight the icon and hit F2 (or right click and select rename).
On this pc -- and only on this pc recently, as soon as it opens, it closes
itself. I've tried hitting the "Del" key very fast and it seems to have no
effect at all, as does any other desktop maneuver I can try.

Norm

Norm Dresner:
| Well, actually I can, but I can't do it by
| Right Click | Rename or by F2.
|
| If I try either of these, the rename-box opens
| very briefly and then closes by itself.
|
| I can still rename desktop icons by
| Right Click | Properties | General and then
| changing the name in the first subwindow.
|
| I can also rename desktop icons by using
| Windows Explorer to navigate to my desktop folder and
| then changing the name there with any of the usual methods.
|
| But I can't just rename a desktop icon the old fashioned way.
|
| The system is Windows XP Pro with SP1 and some additional
| security updates but not the entire SP2.
|
| This crazy behavior started about a week ago and doesn't
| AFAICR coincide with any program installation.
|
| I'll appreciate any suggestions, hints, URLs and
| expressions of sincere sympathy.
|
| TIA Norm

"Black Baptist":
| There shouldn't be any box trying to open on rename

a nonymous:
| What about the rectangle surrounding the text during rename?

"Black Baptist":
| yea that I thought you ment a popup box

"Norm Dresner":
| What I meant -- as BB suggested -- was the little box surrounding the name
| when you highlight the icon and hit F2 (or right click and select rename).
| On this pc -- and only on this pc recently, as soon as it opens, it closes
| itself. I've tried hitting the "Del" key very fast and it seems to have no
| effect at all, as does any other desktop maneuver I can try.
|
| Norm

It was not BB who suggested that.

Do you have an active touchpad, or are you running in X-Mouse mode?

"a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Norm Dresner:
> | Well, actually I can, but I can't do it by
> | Right Click | Rename or by F2.
> |
> | If I try either of these, the rename-box opens
> | very briefly and then closes by itself.
> |
> | I can still rename desktop icons by
> | Right Click | Properties | General and then
> | changing the name in the first subwindow.
> |
> | I can also rename desktop icons by using
> | Windows Explorer to navigate to my desktop folder and
> | then changing the name there with any of the usual methods.
> |
> | But I can't just rename a desktop icon the old fashioned way.
> |
> | The system is Windows XP Pro with SP1 and some additional
> | security updates but not the entire SP2.
> |
> | This crazy behavior started about a week ago and doesn't
> | AFAICR coincide with any program installation.
> |
> | I'll appreciate any suggestions, hints, URLs and
> | expressions of sincere sympathy.
> |
> | TIA Norm
>
> "Black Baptist":
> | There shouldn't be any box trying to open on rename
>
> a nonymous:
> | What about the rectangle surrounding the text during rename?
>
> "Black Baptist":
> | yea that I thought you ment a popup box
>
> "Norm Dresner":
> | What I meant -- as BB suggested -- was the little box surrounding the
name
> | when you highlight the icon and hit F2 (or right click and select
rename).
> | On this pc -- and only on this pc recently, as soon as it opens, it
closes
> | itself. I've tried hitting the "Del" key very fast and it seems to have
no
> | effect at all, as does any other desktop maneuver I can try.
> |
> | Norm
>
> It was not BB who suggested that.
>
> Do you have an active touchpad, or are you running in X-Mouse mode?

No to both, though I have thought about trying the X-Mouse option
occasionally since I use Linux almost as much as I do Windows. In fact, it
took me a few minutes to even find the X-Mouse option in TweakUI because I
couldn't remember where it was. Anyway, no, I'm not using either any kind
of touchpad nor AFAIK any special mouse mode.

Norm