Which Professional Graphics Cards Should I Get?

Black-Bird

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Hey everyone i am building a computer for a friend, and when it comes to building gaming computers, it's easy for me but i have no clue what "Professional Graphics Cards" to get, i don't know what should i be looking for and also for a monitors. I don't care about price at this point just need a idea, snice this feels like a whole new ball game.

Thanks To All :hello:

Solution
Hey, if he uses OpenGL programs - buy quadro, but if he uses Direct3D software - buy gaming card.

for AutoCAD - quadro 600(or similar priced FirePro) will be enough
for 3ds Max - quadro 4000 and geforce 460 together will be enough

those are enough for most users, but ask him about his previous rig and if it was enough for him.

AutoCAD uses OpenGL as I know, so Gaming card will be useless(gaming cards have blocked true OpenGL performance, or pro cards have somehow accelerated, so difference is big)

3ds Max uses Direct3D, due to this good gaming card should be enough, but now and then he'll encounter a lot of crashes(I'm 80% sure you can solve this by installing Quadro driver(you can search how to)), and for this you should buy...

Black-Bird

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012

AutoCAD, SolidWOrks, 3DS MAXS and lightwave, what's what i have on paper he gave me

maxinexus

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
Here is quite useful info on the subject...however the price of these cards is staggering...close to 2k or more
www.nvidia.com/object/quadro_geforce.html
The pro software require pro hardware and pro pay so price should not be an issue.

Black-Bird

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
CPU: AMD FX8150 with a heatsink "Thermaltake Frio"

MB: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR 3 1600

SSD: Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe SATA 3 120GB

HDD: WD 1TB Caviar Black 7200RPM Sata 6GB 64MB Cache

PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850 GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply.

Antec Eleven Hundred Black Super Mid Tower Computer Case Full Upgraded Fans, With 6 Fan Controller

LG Blu-Ray Burner

So This is what i have so fair, but when reading forums i also heard that you need to look into finding a right monitor and again what monitor and GPU

runswindows95

Distinguished
Far as GPU, see what the programs require / recommend. Far as monitor, it's a question of budget. The Dell 2412 is around $400, and is a great monitor. Again, see the system requirements for each program to get an idea of what GPU to get. Also, for CAD and such, I would suggest 16GB of RAM.

janiashvili

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Hey, if he uses OpenGL programs - buy quadro, but if he uses Direct3D software - buy gaming card.

for AutoCAD - quadro 600(or similar priced FirePro) will be enough
for 3ds Max - quadro 4000 and geforce 460 together will be enough

those are enough for most users, but ask him about his previous rig and if it was enough for him.

AutoCAD uses OpenGL as I know, so Gaming card will be useless(gaming cards have blocked true OpenGL performance, or pro cards have somehow accelerated, so difference is big)

3ds Max uses Direct3D, due to this good gaming card should be enough, but now and then he'll encounter a lot of crashes(I'm 80% sure you can solve this by installing Quadro driver(you can search how to)), and for this you should buy Quadro 4000, quadros below it are useless and above it costs too much, so also buy cheaper Geforce card, then SLI them(compatible ones) - you'll basically get faster Quadro card(especially good for GPU rendering)

For monitor - it should be good quality one(e.g. display good quality images, have good contrast ratio. just check pro. monitor http://www.necdisplay.com/p/desktop-monitors/pa301w-bk ; then compare much cheaper monitor to something like this)

and, as someone said, buy 16GB memory, some people even have 64GB, but that much is useless, that can even slow down performance of PC.

Solution