Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New-built PC crashing when gaming

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Gaming
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
June 6, 2012 1:26:02 PM

I build my first rig about a month ago, everything was set up fine but after a few days it started crashing whilst gaming. It isnt just a desktop crash, the entire computer freezes up and i am forced to restart, and it makes a loud glitchy/screechy noise through my surround sound (very scary when unexpected). The timing of it is very unpredictable, sometimes I can play for 3-4 hours without problem, and some times it only takes 10 minutes! :fou: 

It definitely isn't anything to do with the GPU, as the temps are around 50 on load, and i have tried using onboard graphics (same thing happens). This may also rule out my cpu.

I have tried; underclocking the GPU, running in windowed mode, turning off intel speedstep and testing the memory, lowering the graphics and other small tweeks, which leads me to think it might be a faulty psu or piece of hardware.

I can upload a video of what happens to youtube ( i am unsure of this forum's policy on external links ) if needed.

SPECS-

i5 Sandybridge 2500k (not overclocked)
Asus gtx560 Ti (top)
Corsair TX850M (psu)
Asus P8Z68 pro/gen3
G-skill Ripjaws-x (8GB)
NZXT phantom

Any help at all would be appreciated :) 

More about : built crashing gaming

June 6, 2012 4:25:17 PM

Tommoule said:
I build my first rig about a month ago, everything was set up fine but after a few days it started crashing whilst gaming. It isnt just a desktop crash, the entire computer freezes up and i am forced to restart, and it makes a loud glitchy/screechy noise through my surround sound (very scary when unexpected). The timing of it is very unpredictable, sometimes I can play for 3-4 hours without problem, and some times it only takes 10 minutes! :fou: 

It definitely isn't anything to do with the GPU, as the temps are around 50 on load, and i have tried using onboard graphics (same thing happens). This may also rule out my cpu.

I have tried; underclocking the GPU, running in windowed mode, turning off intel speedstep and testing the memory, lowering the graphics and other small tweeks, which leads me to think it might be a faulty psu or piece of hardware.

I can upload a video of what happens to youtube ( i am unsure of this forum's policy on external links ) if needed.

SPECS-

i5 Sandybridge 2500k (not overclocked)
Asus gtx560 Ti (top)
Corsair TX850M (psu)
Asus P8Z68 pro/gen3
G-skill Ripjaws-x (8GB)
NZXT phantom

Any help at all would be appreciated :) 


Hi TomMoule,

Does your PC crashes (or freezes) only when gaming? Does your PC freezes on every game you play or a particular one? What happens when the PC freezes? I mean does any type of error reads on the screen. Did your screen gets totally blue in the process or your PC just freezes on the screen you were on without any errors?

Regards,
SmartGeek
a b 4 Gaming
June 6, 2012 4:35:07 PM

Well you could try another power supply, that would be pretty easy.

I like to keep a backup anyways. You could always return it.
Related resources
June 7, 2012 1:04:02 AM

SmartGeek said:
Hi TomMoule,

Does your PC crashes (or freezes) only when gaming? Does your PC freezes on every game you play or a particular one? What happens when the PC freezes? I mean does any type of error reads on the screen. Did your screen gets totally blue in the process or your PC just freezes on the screen you were on without any errors?

Regards,
SmartGeek


ive only ever experienced the problem when gaming, and when it crashes it freezes on the screen i was on, with a really loud glitch noise, no errors
June 7, 2012 1:05:05 AM

geekapproved said:
Well you could try another power supply, that would be pretty easy.

I like to keep a backup anyways. You could always return it.


yeah as its my first build i cant afford to buy another psu to test, but i might have an old one around that is powerful enough, i might give that a go :p 
June 7, 2012 5:57:51 AM

Tommoule said:
ive only ever experienced the problem when gaming, and when it crashes it freezes on the screen i was on, with a really loud glitch noise, no errors


The freezes you're facing while gaming indicate that there is a software problem. You earlier said that you have tried using OnBoard Graphics but your PC still got freezed show that your PSU is not faulty. There is some kind of conflict between the drivers (or softwares).

You can try these steps to rule out any possible software-related problems---
1. Update your GTX 560 Ti to latest drivers. (Outdated drivers are known to cause issues.)
2. Update your Sound drivers to latest version.
3. Run a Full System Scan. (Some viruses impact the stability and performance of a PC.)

Do you experience freezes only on a particular game or on every game you play?
Which version of Windows are you running?

Regards,
SmartGeek
June 10, 2012 1:00:34 AM

SmartGeek said:
The freezes you're facing while gaming indicate that there is a software problem. You earlier said that you have tried using OnBoard Graphics but your PC still got freezed show that your PSU is not faulty. There is some kind of conflict between the drivers (or softwares).

You can try these steps to rule out any possible software-related problems---
1. Update your GTX 560 Ti to latest drivers. (Outdated drivers are known to cause issues.)
2. Update your Sound drivers to latest version.
3. Run a Full System Scan. (Some viruses impact the stability and performance of a PC.)

Do you experience freezes only on a particular game or on every game you play?
Which version of Windows are you running?

Regards,
SmartGeek

I've done a couple of scans and it seems to be clean. The drivers appeared to be up to date, but i went to the asus website and tried the latest one from there. It seemed as though the problem was resolved but i experienced another crash, but it took a lot longer than usual, and i haven't had a problem since then.

Updating the driver has appeared to slow the rate of crashes? Definitely a significant difference...
June 10, 2012 3:21:32 AM

Tommoule said:
I've done a couple of scans and it seems to be clean. The drivers appeared to be up to date, but i went to the asus website and tried the latest one from there. It seemed as though the problem was resolved but i experienced another crash, but it took a lot longer than usual, and i haven't had a problem since then.

Updating the driver has appeared to slow the rate of crashes? Definitely a significant difference...


I knew that there is some software-related problem. I think if you format your HDD and install Windows 7 on it, then you'll get no freezes at all. But if updating the drivers have solved the problem to your satisfaction, then it is fine.

Regards,
SmartGeek
July 4, 2012 1:57:05 PM

SmartGeek said:
I knew that there is some software-related problem. I think if you format your HDD and install Windows 7 on it, then you'll get no freezes at all. But if updating the drivers have solved the problem to your satisfaction, then it is fine.

Regards,
SmartGeek


Thanks for your help, i was away for a while but im back now, and my pc seems to be playing up once again. Im going to reinstall Windows 7 (once again, i did this a few times when building, argh)

Ill post again when ive done that (at work right now)

regards,
TomMoule
July 4, 2012 1:57:17 PM

SmartGeek said:
I knew that there is some software-related problem. I think if you format your HDD and install Windows 7 on it, then you'll get no freezes at all. But if updating the drivers have solved the problem to your satisfaction, then it is fine.

Regards,
SmartGeek


Thanks for your help, i was away for a while but im back now, and my pc seems to be playing up once again. Im going to reinstall Windows 7 (once again, i did this a few times when building, argh)

Ill post again when ive done that (at work right now)

regards,
TomMoule
!