Solved

Gaming PC for $500- 600?

Hello! I am building a PC from scratch for the first time (although I am no stranger to PCs and swapping out parts).

Approximate Purchase Date: In the next two/three weeks

Budget Range: $500 - 600 After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, video editing, surfing the internet, watching movies

Parts Not Required: MSI NVidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti, Antec Neo Eco 520C 520W RT PSU (although I could buy another one if it limits my part selection), monitor, keyboard, mouse, WiFi card, HDD

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, amazon.com, tigerdirect.com

Parts Preferences: I lean towards Intel CPUs, but if AMD is more powerful for a lower price, then that works.

Overclocking: I would certainly like this to be possible

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe in the future

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Preferably, I'd like it to be somewhat quiet and look nice. Also, please include the OS in the price (Windows 7, $99) and if you could also add in a headset with a mic, that would be great.

If I am asking too much for such a low price, tell me what I can change from the above list to make it more powerful for the same price.
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gaming
  1. Here's a build suggestion but goes slightly overbudget. Have a look :

CPU & Optical Drive: $226- i5 2500K & Samsung(CPU has $15 off with promo)

Motherboard & RAM: $148- Asrock Z68 Gen3 & Corsair Vengeance 8GB

CPU Cooler: $30- CM Hyper 212 ( For your overclocking needs)

HDD :$75- WD Cavier Blue 500GB

Case: $35- Xclio 320(Cheap , if you don't like it select any other)

Total(Excluding Rebates): 614 USD
  2. I like the suggestions, but let's say that I take away the HDD (because I just found out I have one that can be used). Where can the PC be made better? (like, say, the case)
  3. Best answer
    I think that the best budget case is probably the Antec ThreeHundred Illusion. It goes on sale often for around $49.
    I'm an Asus guy, when it comes to motherboards.
    I think GSkill has some great value in their RAM.
    I like the Xigmatek Loki a bit better than the Hyper 212+
    All the other stuff from z_4 i included.
    In @ $ 608

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231548
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131837
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233081
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.972810
  4. That looks nice, but that cooler seems to be for AMD. Will it work with the Intel CPU?
  5. It will, it's universal. It says

"Socket K8 / AM2 / AM2+ / AM3, Intel LGA 775 / LGA 1155 / LGA 1156 / LGA 1366"
  6. All right, thanks. I'm new to actually building a PC and whatnot. I think that your parts will be what I'm buying, but I'm still open to suggestions if anyone else wants to inform me of better parts.
  7. Best answer selected by diegoisawesome.
  8. Good luck with the build, remember to stay grounded and don't build directly on the carpet.
  9. Glad I have hardwood flooring then. :)
  10. One more question: I am taking the hard drive out of my current PC (with files, an OS, and everything) and putting it into the new build. Will that cause problems in the future? Should I just go with a fresh install?
  11. You need to do a fresh install. All of the drivers and the hardware configuration will be totally different. The system will boot then never stop blue screening.

There's a small chance that if you were able to delete the PCI bus from device manager before you power down, that you could come back up. But it'd be a mess and thrash your registry.

So do a clean install. Back up all your files first.
  12. Is there any way to do a fresh install of Windows 7 without formatting the HDD? I have almost 1TB of files and nowhere else to put them. Also, the copy of Windows 7 is OEM (the PC was pre-built) but I am planning on buying Windows 7 retail. Trying to see how I'm supposed to go about this all without losing my files.
  13. You should be able to download an image of Windows 7 that matches your build, then use the same key. You might need to call the Windows validation line, but usually you can transfer an OEM license a few times.

You might consider buying another HDD, like a 320GB or a 120GB SSD and using that for your OS then your 1TB as a storage drive.
  14. I don't have any room in my budget for an SSD right now, so I think I'm going to shrink my current partition, make a new one with the free space, and then install a fresh copy of Windows there. Sound like it could work?
  15. It should, I would shrink it before you remove it. Using windows Disk Part is a lot easier than using command line to do it.
  16. Hah yeah, that's what I'm planning on doing. Thanks!
  17. Parts are purchased (although all the great deals and rebates expired before I was actually able to secure the money). Ah well, the parts should be arriving sometime Wednesday and I will get started on the build!

Also, deciding to use sysprep to change my Windows 7 install into a generalized OOBE install without losing (much) data. If that fails, Paragon should be able to use Adaptive Restore.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product