Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Gaming PC for $500- 600?

Last response: in Systems
June 6, 2012 2:19:44 PM

Hello! I am building a PC from scratch for the first time (although I am no stranger to PCs and swapping out parts).

Approximate Purchase Date: In the next two/three weeks

Budget Range: $500 - 600 After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, video editing, surfing the internet, watching movies

Parts Not Required: MSI NVidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti, Antec Neo Eco 520C 520W RT PSU (although I could buy another one if it limits my part selection), monitor, keyboard, mouse, WiFi card, HDD

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, amazon.com, tigerdirect.com

Parts Preferences: I lean towards Intel CPUs, but if AMD is more powerful for a lower price, then that works.

Overclocking: I would certainly like this to be possible

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe in the future

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Preferably, I'd like it to be somewhat quiet and look nice. Also, please include the OS in the price (Windows 7, $99) and if you could also add in a headset with a mic, that would be great.

If I am asking too much for such a low price, tell me what I can change from the above list to make it more powerful for the same price.

More about : gaming 500 600

June 6, 2012 8:45:47 PM

I like the suggestions, but let's say that I take away the HDD (because I just found out I have one that can be used). Where can the PC be made better? (like, say, the case)
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

June 6, 2012 9:09:11 PM

I think that the best budget case is probably the Antec ThreeHundred Illusion. It goes on sale often for around $49.
I'm an Asus guy, when it comes to motherboards.
I think GSkill has some great value in their RAM.
I like the Xigmatek Loki a bit better than the Hyper 212+
All the other stuff from z_4 i included.
In @ $ 608

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
June 7, 2012 12:18:58 AM

That looks nice, but that cooler seems to be for AMD. Will it work with the Intel CPU?
m
l
June 7, 2012 3:07:53 AM

It will, it's universal. It says

"Socket K8 / AM2 / AM2+ / AM3, Intel LGA 775 / LGA 1155 / LGA 1156 / LGA 1366"
m
l
June 7, 2012 3:30:24 AM

All right, thanks. I'm new to actually building a PC and whatnot. I think that your parts will be what I'm buying, but I'm still open to suggestions if anyone else wants to inform me of better parts.
m
l
June 7, 2012 3:32:41 PM

Best answer selected by diegoisawesome.
m
l
June 7, 2012 4:45:40 PM

Good luck with the build, remember to stay grounded and don't build directly on the carpet.
m
l
June 7, 2012 7:25:44 PM

Glad I have hardwood flooring then. :) 
m
l
June 8, 2012 5:41:57 AM

One more question: I am taking the hard drive out of my current PC (with files, an OS, and everything) and putting it into the new build. Will that cause problems in the future? Should I just go with a fresh install?
m
l
June 8, 2012 3:49:53 PM

You need to do a fresh install. All of the drivers and the hardware configuration will be totally different. The system will boot then never stop blue screening.

There's a small chance that if you were able to delete the PCI bus from device manager before you power down, that you could come back up. But it'd be a mess and thrash your registry.

So do a clean install. Back up all your files first.
m
l
June 8, 2012 3:58:59 PM

Is there any way to do a fresh install of Windows 7 without formatting the HDD? I have almost 1TB of files and nowhere else to put them. Also, the copy of Windows 7 is OEM (the PC was pre-built) but I am planning on buying Windows 7 retail. Trying to see how I'm supposed to go about this all without losing my files.
m
l
June 8, 2012 4:02:36 PM

You should be able to download an image of Windows 7 that matches your build, then use the same key. You might need to call the Windows validation line, but usually you can transfer an OEM license a few times.

You might consider buying another HDD, like a 320GB or a 120GB SSD and using that for your OS then your 1TB as a storage drive.
m
l
June 8, 2012 4:44:24 PM

I don't have any room in my budget for an SSD right now, so I think I'm going to shrink my current partition, make a new one with the free space, and then install a fresh copy of Windows there. Sound like it could work?
m
l
June 8, 2012 5:15:38 PM

It should, I would shrink it before you remove it. Using windows Disk Part is a lot easier than using command line to do it.
m
l
June 8, 2012 5:17:30 PM

Hah yeah, that's what I'm planning on doing. Thanks!
m
l
June 10, 2012 3:45:13 AM

Parts are purchased (although all the great deals and rebates expired before I was actually able to secure the money). Ah well, the parts should be arriving sometime Wednesday and I will get started on the build!

Also, deciding to use sysprep to change my Windows 7 install into a generalized OOBE install without losing (much) data. If that fails, Paragon should be able to use Adaptive Restore.
m
l
!