Sign in with
Your question

7850 vs 7870

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
April 8, 2012 7:51:43 AM

Heello.
I think this my second time asking this question, is the 7870 worth the extra $100?
I see benchmarks showing a mere 5 fps difference in most games, and a 10fps difference on BF3 @1080p Ultra+FXAA. Ive heard MSAA is bad for AMD cards...besides the point. Does anyone think it is worhwhile to get the 7870? You could probably overclock the 7850 to get 7870 speeds and overclock the latter to get near 7950 speeds..hmm...

Dunno, what do you guys think?

P.S. i could get a good 120GB SSD with that 100 bucks...btw is an SSD worth it? lol.

regards, :) 

More about : 7850 7870

April 8, 2012 7:57:59 AM

You can OC the 7850 to same speed as a stock reference 7870 and the 7850 is a much better deal for sure they are gouging the customer for the 7870 but thats how she goes with the latest GPUs. IMO if I where you I would just go for a 6870x2 for the same price as a 7870 and it will rape on the 7870 as far a performance goes otherwise the 7850 it is.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
April 8, 2012 8:01:48 AM

Hmm...i have never seen but only heard about micro-stuttering (maybe i should head to youtube right now) but is it bad and does it occur all the time for every game? considering i will be playing BF3 would it happen on that? I'm assuming you have crossfire, so when does micro-stuttering occur. I am a noob. LOL.
m
l
Related resources
April 8, 2012 8:12:24 AM

oddlyinsane said:
Hmm...i have never seen but only heard about micro-stuttering (maybe i should head to youtube right now) but is it bad and does it occur all the time for every game? considering i will be playing BF3 would it happen on that? I'm assuming you have crossfire, so when does micro-stuttering occur. I am a noob. LOL.

To be honest I have ran a many CF/SLI rigs since 09 and I have never had issues with my over 100 steam games. It's seems to me to only people causing a hype about microstuttering is the people whom are to scared, poor, or both to even try it out so they cry and wine about something they can't never afford is about the lot of it. The 6870x2 is a dual GPU board with it's own Crossfire chip embedded on the board which makes performance and scaling much better. This beast will match a 7970 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
April 8, 2012 8:20:24 AM

I read the customer reviews and they complain about a variety of problems, which includes micro-stuttering.
m
l
April 8, 2012 8:21:56 AM

oddlyinsane said:
I read the customer reviews and they complain about a variety of problems, which includes micro-stuttering.

Noobs they know nothing I have no problems.

First bad comment was from an Nvidia Bigot whom said "I say go with a daul nvidia gpu instead"

m
l
April 8, 2012 8:27:37 AM

oddlyinsane said:

When you put Vsynch on then microstuttering is a non issue.
m
l
!