ICM = ICC? (color calibration trouble w/ Adobe Gamma)

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
July 20, 2005 2:31:00 PM

i upgraded my photo processing pc, buying a Hynundai L90D+ digital LCD
panel, which i have plugged in to my geforce4 via a DVI cable. after
reading a text oncolor management, i thought i would do some poor-man's
calibration, via Adobe's Gamma tool. (id rather hold off on buying
monitor calibration hardware/software until after i see results from
the AG tool, which is better than doing nothing at all). i am running
windows xp.

trying to use Adobe Gamma to calibrate the monitor. from the book ive
read, the first step is to begin by loading the monitor's provided ICC
profile as a starting point, and tweak it from there using the utility.
Hyundai provides this file:

L90DPD.ICM
(L90DPA.ICM too, which i assume is for the analog cable use)

....however when i load it, AG kicks me this message:

"The selected profile is not a legal RGB display profile"

i am sure this is related to another error i get when i load CS2 and
have the same profile set as my default (via windows):

The monitor profile "Colorific: PnP VESA DDC - HYUNDAI ImageQuest L90D
Digital" appears to be defective. Please rerun your monitor calibration
software.

any idea whats up? is it because this is a ".ICM" and not a ".ICC"
file? are they the same things?

thanks
matt

--
Matt Del Vecchio
Anonymous

> Matt Del Vecchio writes ...
>
>is it because this is a ".ICM" and not a ".ICC"
>file? are they the same things?

..icc and .icm are both legal suffixes so that's not the problem.

>"The selected profile is not a legal RGB display profile"

There are several different classes of profiles, with different tags
etc required ... basically both Windows and AG are saying that this is
not a valid monitor profile, for whatever reason. This is not uncommon
:)

>trying to use Adobe Gamma to calibrate the monitor. from the book ive
>read, the first step is to begin by loading the monitor's provided ICC
>profile as a starting point

I would just go with whatever profile is available to start with, even
if it's a default, and not worry about trying to load this supplied
profile. As soon as Gamma finishes it will default to using the Gamma
generated profile anyway so it's not a big deal. You might run Gamma
twice in succession since the second time thru you should be pretty
well all setup right from the first pass.

>i thought i would do some poor-man's
>calibration, via Adobe's Gamma tool

As Celcius points out, Gamma isn't especially accurate for LCD monitors
so you should be better off than with nothing but it's unlikely to give
an exact match. Even with CRT monitors Gamma has some problems, mainly
because a couple of the key measurements are done by eye-balling
instead of more accurately with a colorimeter or puck. But it's worth
a shot, you can't really mess anything up.

Bill
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 6:00:32 PM

Matthew,
I think that the Adobe Gamma isn't meant for LCD screens, although I might
be mistaken. I managed by trial and error to get good results, but it isn't
as good as with a CRT.
Marcel

<Matthew.DelVecchio@CapitalOneAuto.com> wrote in message
> i upgraded my photo processing pc, buying a Hynundai L90D+ digital LCD
> panel, which i have plugged in to my geforce4 via a DVI cable. after
> reading a text oncolor management, i thought i would do some poor-man's
> calibration, via Adobe's Gamma tool. (id rather hold off on buying
> monitor calibration hardware/software until after i see results from
> the AG tool, which is better than doing nothing at all). i am running
> windows xp.
>
> trying to use Adobe Gamma to calibrate the monitor. from the book ive
> read, the first step is to begin by loading the monitor's provided ICC
> profile as a starting point, and tweak it from there using the utility.
> Hyundai provides this file:
>
> L90DPD.ICM
> (L90DPA.ICM too, which i assume is for the analog cable use)
>
> ...however when i load it, AG kicks me this message:
>
> "The selected profile is not a legal RGB display profile"
>
> i am sure this is related to another error i get when i load CS2 and
> have the same profile set as my default (via windows):
>
> The monitor profile "Colorific: PnP VESA DDC - HYUNDAI ImageQuest L90D
> Digital" appears to be defective. Please rerun your monitor calibration
> software.
>
> any idea whats up? is it because this is a ".ICM" and not a ".ICC"
> file? are they the same things?
>
> thanks
> matt
>

> --
> Matt Del Vecchio

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 10:22:53 PM

The profile is "bad" as far as Adobe Gamma and PS is concerned. Same
thing happens with every Samsung 17x lcd profile the last 3 or 4 years
(I've tried them all, and all give the same error). So I experimented
using various free/trial monitor profile generators as well as the
ones provided with PS and XP. I found starting with a standard sRGB
profile worked fine, so I have not needed to purchase a professional
profile generator package, yet.

You should have a sRGB profile so use that with Adobe Gamma, if using
XP it would be named something like
sRGB Color Space Profile.icm
.... and would be located in
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\color

Note that Adobe has a newsserver at adobeforums.com ... you can search
the adobe.colormanagement ng for more info about color management
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 4:24:39 PM

thanks for the feedback. my new understanding is, the manu's supplied
monitor profile is only marginally useful, but if you plan to use AG to
tweak things at all then it's really a moot point.

ill try the rgb as a base.

but on AG and lcds....this seems strange. seeing as so many non-pro
users (especially mac) use lcds, why wouldnt adobe want to provide
non-crt users w/ a similar tool?

matt
!