Review my build I5 3570k

ohados

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2012
i've been buying new hardware mainly for studding purpose (vmware)
but iam not if my PSU is strong enough

here are the specifics:

cpu:

Intel® Core™ i5-3570K Processor

mobo:

GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3

ram:

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3

gpu:

Radeon HD 4770

psu:

powerlite 450w thermaltake

since iam going to use like 4 to 6 vmwares (svr08, win7,win xp) i would probably use OC
and iam wondering if iam gonna have to buy a new stronger PSU of 650W

thx in advance
ohad .m.

ohados

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2012
i didnt quite get that... you're saying that the z68 chipset isnt compatible with the ivy bridge unless i do a bios update?
if thats the case then why spend more money buying a z77 when i can purchase a less expensive mobo and just do an update?

and about the psu iam more worried about cpu OC than gpu

That's usually the case yes.

Z77 doesn't cost more than Z68.

How are you going to update the bios if the computer won't boot??

I already told you the psu will be fine with that video card. If you upgrade the video card you'll need a better psu especially if your overclocking.

Like I care what some random posters opinion is. Phases do matter in overclocking or they wouldn't bother putting more phases in higher end boards. Not in all cases because higher quality phases can beat out quantity of phases. There's a reason that boards with 4+1 are cheaper.

Here's from Overclock.net, pay attention to the last 2 lines:

The importance of power phase count
Now, does amount of phases have everything to do with a motherboard? Usually, but this is where brand name gets taken into account. For example, The majority of 2010-released MSI AMD motherboards with 4+1 phase or similar, heatsinked or not, were far from good quality. This is due to the utilisation of transistors that may not be properly rated, and driver chips not properly rated. However, take the Biostar TA890FXE, it comes with a similar 4+2 power phase. High amperage rating per transistor; completely rock-solid. It should be noted that an 8+2 phase system may not necessarily provide any more current than a 4+1 phase if the amount of amperage available to the transistors per phase is the same; however, the 8+2 phase system would still do so with more efficiency, stability, and with less heat output. 4+1 systems or less on CPUs can be particularly risky due to the fact that each transistor must be capable of outputting more current and heat. Sometimes these will also use cheaper transistors as well. This is why you normally see motherboards with low phase count failing (i.e. catching fire, frying, overloading), often on motherboards from only certain manufacturers or certain particular motherboards.Now, mosfet quality can be hard to understand.

Phase count can still matter. Most of the culprits for VRM failures are the lower end 4+1 phase and 3+1 phase motherboards that aren't equipped to handle processors that consume lots of power and may be overclocked. Failures on motherboards with higher phase counts have been relatively infrequent - so infrequent that it can be called rare.

More reading for you:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661821

Even video cards:
http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/ENGTS450DI1GD5/

That's great, there's a lot of people uneducated on the subject doing that.

Be sure to post back and let us know when you VRM's burn out, I'm sure it won't be long.

I would recommend you stop recommending other people do things that experts advise against, just because you do.