windows startup problems

January 25, 2005 5:49:02 PM

Hi,
Ive been having problems recently when I log in to windows. When I log on
my taskbar always returns to having the search assistant and quick launch
toolbars no matter how many times I take them off. Also, My documents always
pops-up when I log on and my internet explorer is often closing by itself.
Does anyone have any suggestions to solve these problems???
Thanks
Debs.
January 26, 2005 1:59:05 AM

"debs" wrote:

> Hi,
> Ive been having problems recently when I log in to windows. When I log on
> my taskbar always returns to having the search assistant and quick launch
> toolbars no matter how many times I take them off. Also, My documents always
> pops-up when I log on and my internet explorer is often closing by itself.
> Does anyone have any suggestions to solve these problems???
> Thanks
> Debs.

This may be outdated by now but just in case it isn't
http://www.lavasofthelp.com/articles/v6/04/06/0901.html
it goes with "Taurarian's" post
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 4:15:16 PM

http://www.winxptutor.com/wsaremove.htm
Quick Launch settings are not saved; Search Assistant Toolbar in Taskbar

Line 255 Right column "My Documents Folder Opens..."

Information about malware:
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars

The below links assist you in checking your system for parasites:-
http://aumha.org/a/noads.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/parasite.htm
Please note that some malware may kill the internet connection when it is removed,
the program on the link below will enable you to regain the internet connection.
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by third-party software
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;827315

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/defaul...
Fight Spyware – articles by Microsoft

Spyware Programs links:-
www.lavasoftusa.com Ad-Aware
www.security.kolla.de Spybot

SpywareBlaster

Dealing with Unwanted Spyware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Downloadable McAfee AVERT Stinger:
Stinger: http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
stand-alone utility used to detect and remove specific viruses. It is not a
substitute for full anti-virus protection, but rather a tool to assist
administrators and users when dealing with an infected system. Stinger utilizes
next generation scan engine technology, including process scanning, digitally
signed DAT files, and scan performance optimizations.

Perhaps an online security/virus check
Symantec
http://security.norton.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&...
Trend Micro House Call: