windows startup problems

Hi,
Ive been having problems recently when I log in to windows. When I log on
my taskbar always returns to having the search assistant and quick launch
toolbars no matter how many times I take them off. Also, My documents always
pops-up when I log on and my internet explorer is often closing by itself.
Does anyone have any suggestions to solve these problems???
Thanks
Debs.
2 answers Last reply
More about windows startup problems

    "debs" wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Ive been having problems recently when I log in to windows. When I log on
    > my taskbar always returns to having the search assistant and quick launch
    > toolbars no matter how many times I take them off. Also, My documents always
    > pops-up when I log on and my internet explorer is often closing by itself.
    > Does anyone have any suggestions to solve these problems???
    > Thanks
    > Debs.

    This may be outdated by now but just in case it isn't
    http://www.lavasofthelp.com/articles/v6/04/06/0901.html
    it goes with "Taurarian's" post

    http://www.winxptutor.com/wsaremove.htm
    Quick Launch settings are not saved; Search Assistant Toolbar in Taskbar

    Line 255 Right column "My Documents Folder Opens..."

    Information about malware:
    http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars

    The below links assist you in checking your system for parasites:-
    http://aumha.org/a/noads.htm
    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/parasite.htm
    Please note that some malware may kill the internet connection when it is removed,
    the program on the link below will enable you to regain the internet connection.
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

    Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by third-party software
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;827315

    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/default.mspx
    Fight Spyware – articles by Microsoft

    Spyware Programs links:-
    www.lavasoftusa.com Ad-Aware
    www.security.kolla.de Spybot

    SpywareBlaster

    Dealing with Unwanted Spyware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

    Downloadable McAfee AVERT Stinger:
    Stinger: http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
    stand-alone utility used to detect and remove specific viruses. It is not a
    substitute for full anti-virus protection, but rather a tool to assist
    administrators and users when dealing with an infected system. Stinger utilizes
    next generation scan engine technology, including process scanning, digitally
    signed DAT files, and scan performance optimizations.

    Perhaps an online security/virus check
    Symantec
    http://security.norton.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym
    Trend Micro House Call:
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    Panda ActiveScan;
    McAfee FreeScan:
    Kaspersky Labs On-line Virus Checker:
    BitDefender Online Scan:

    Free anti virus programs
    http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl7.php

    "debs" <debs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > Ive been having problems recently when I log in to windows. When I log on
    > my taskbar always returns to having the search assistant and quick launch
    > toolbars no matter how many times I take them off. Also, My documents always
    > pops-up when I log on and my internet explorer is often closing by itself.
    > Does anyone have any suggestions to solve these problems???
    > Thanks
    > Debs.

Configuration Customization Windows XP