$1200 build -- seeking feedback

extremenovice

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: today

Budget Range: $1200 after rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, video editing (for wife), surfing.

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon would be nice, but I have no particular preference

Parts Preferences:by brand or type none in particular

Overclocking: 10% perhaps -- I am a novice and need to research this

SLI or Crossfire: NO

Monitor Resolution: not sure, it's a 21" -- I plan to upgrade in a few months

Additional Comments: Here is a preliminary parts list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9wQh

I would like feedback on the motherboard -- that was a pretty random choice.

Also, I did ask for feedback on an earlier build, but decided to go for a cheaper build.

Finally, right now, I have a 7850 video card in the build. I will see if there is room to get the 670, but I am budget conscious. I play WoW, was sent BF3 as a gift from my brother (and a few other games). If anyone has other GPU suggestions, I'd be open and much appreciative.

Thank you for your time.

Solution
That's a good build but I'd ditch the SSD and put that into upgrading your GPU to a Radeon 7870, and then swapping your case for the Corsair Carbide 400R or NZXT Phantom 410 and then you're good to go.

extremenovice

Honorable
May 29, 2012
I wanted to thank everyone again and get the go ahead on the latest build. I took into consideration the suggestions and decided to push the budget and include the 670 GPU.

I do have a question about the SSD I chose: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB. It's nicely priced w/ the rebate. Is there any reason I should consider a different model?

I also changed out the Antec 900 in favor of the Corsair 400R. Just out of interest, why did you all suggest moving away from the Antec 900? I'm just curious.

Here's the latest build. Any thoughts / feedback would be much appreciated:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9ALq

g-unit1111

Titan

The reason why I'd suggest a different SSD is because of the Sandforce controller used is known to have lots of issues and errors associated with said drives - which is also why I hesitate to recommend similar drives like the Corsair Force 3 and Patriot Pyro.

And as far as the case goes the Antec 900 is old and outdated - it lacks USB 3.0, eSATA, and has no cable management whatsoever. The 900V2 does but the Carbide will be a better choice in the long run because it has one of the easiest cable management systems on the market to work with.