Hey Guys

Just built my first gaming pc, the spec is as follows:

CPU: AMD FX 4100
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3
Memory: 16gb 1333
GPU: Asus GTX 560ti 448 cores
PSU: Corsair TX750
HDD: 1Tb Seagate

When playing games like skyrim I'm getting about 60fps, but it keeps dipping down to 22 then back to 60.

Also on Assassins Creed 2, when there is lots of action on the screen it slows down dramatically.

Any ideas on what I could upgrade to elimate this would be greatly appreciated?

Some of those games have a tendency to stream textures from the hard drive rather than keep them resident in video memory. This is a symptom of a game being developed for both PC and console. The Assassin's Creed games even slow down on my computer but Skyrim is usually pretty good.

One solution to deal with games that stream data is to install them to an SSD

CPUs don't bottleneck graphics cards and graphics cards don't bottleneck CPUs. However, they both impact game performance such that one of the two will be a limiting factor.

With that said, the FX-4100 isn't horrible and should perform at about 80% to par with a Intel i3 2100

Here's a Tom's review between the two

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-4100-core-i3-2100-gaming-benchmark,3136-7.html

The 560ti 448 is no wimpy card and should be on par with the 6950 at least. If it seems like you should be getting better performance than you are then you might want to try a few tweaks such as turning VSync off and/or limiting the framerate to the refresh rate of your monitor (usually 60fps). Some game engines do not respond well to sharp changes in the framerate.

There's not much you can do about Assassin's Creed, the game isn't optimized at all. Skyrim shouldn't give you many troubles though

Switching to Intel is a good idea if you don't mind paying the price premium. Bulldozer's per thread performance is seriously lacking.