Windows Explorer

January 26, 2005 4:29:12 AM

In earlier versions of Windows Explorer, it automatically totaled the number of KB when selecting
multiple files. I copy files to CDs and floppies for back up and it is much easier for the PC to
make that total instead of me using a pocket calculator. I know the PC will stop once the CD or
floppy is full, but I try to keep these files in groups. Is there a method to make Windows Explorer
give me the total KB of many selected files and, if so, how do I do it?

Thank you,
Jim Y

More about : windows explorer

Anonymous
January 26, 2005 4:28:13 PM

Jim Y,

I just experimented and found that if I select a group of files and then
right click|Properties it shows the number of files and total size of all
files

Is this what you want?
--
Cheers,
Trevor L.

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 7:01:22 AM

You could try enabling the status bar.

View-->Status Bar

I can't remember exactly how to make it stay there by default though...

Shiv
"Jim Y" <j.s.yablonsky@NOSPAM.att.net> wrote in message
> In earlier versions of Windows Explorer, it automatically totaled the
> number of KB when selecting multiple files. I copy files to CDs and
> floppies for back up and it is much easier for the PC to make that total
> instead of me using a pocket calculator. I know the PC will stop once the
> CD or floppy is full, but I try to keep these files in groups. Is there a
> method to make Windows Explorer give me the total KB of many selected
> files and, if so, how do I do it?
>
> Thank you,
> Jim Y

January 27, 2005 7:01:23 AM

The View-->Status Bar is what I prefer, but how to make it remain/hide at my choosing is another
matter.

My thanks to both of you ,
Jim Y

"Milamber³" <milamber@email.com> wrote in message
> You could try enabling the status bar.
>
> View-->Status Bar
>
> I can't remember exactly how to make it stay there by default though...
>
> Shiv
> "Jim Y" <j.s.yablonsky@NOSPAM.att.net> wrote in message
>> In earlier versions of Windows Explorer, it automatically totaled the number of KB when selecting
>> multiple files. I copy files to CDs and floppies for back up and it is much easier for the PC to
>> make that total instead of me using a pocket calculator. I know the PC will stop once the CD or
>> floppy is full, but I try to keep these files in groups. Is there a method to make Windows
>> Explorer give me the total KB of many selected files and, if so, how do I do it?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Jim Y

Anonymous
January 27, 2005 12:08:29 PM

Hi Jim,

The properies page is ok for small dirs but doesn't work once the dir goes
beyond around 3Gig. Here's a free program for you that will add the
functions you're looking for to the rightclick context menu...

http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

Andy

"Jim Y" <j.s.yablonsky@NOSPAM.att.net> wrote in message
> In earlier versions of Windows Explorer, it automatically totaled the
number of KB when selecting
> multiple files. I copy files to CDs and floppies for back up and it is
much easier for the PC to
> make that total instead of me using a pocket calculator. I know the PC
will stop once the CD or
> floppy is full, but I try to keep these files in groups. Is there a
method to make Windows Explorer
> give me the total KB of many selected files and, if so, how do I do it?
>
> Thank you,
> Jim Y

Anonymous
January 27, 2005 7:40:23 PM

That does not appear to be what I want. My interest is strictly in the sum total of KB of those
Files selected from a folder to be copied or moved to a floppy or CD. Most times, that involves a
scattered selection, not the entire folder. My total number of KB is seldom more than 10 MB at a
time, usually less than 5 MB.
Thanks for the comments,
Jim Y

"Andrew Bailey" <andy.j.bailey@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi Jim,
>
> The properies page is ok for small dirs but doesn't work once the dir goes
> beyond around 3Gig. Here's a free program for you that will add the
> functions you're looking for to the rightclick context menu...
>
> http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml
>
> Andy
>
> "Jim Y" <j.s.yablonsky@NOSPAM.att.net> wrote in message
>> In earlier versions of Windows Explorer, it automatically totaled the
> number of KB when selecting
>> multiple files. I copy files to CDs and floppies for back up and it is
> much easier for the PC to
>> make that total instead of me using a pocket calculator. I know the PC
> will stop once the CD or
>> floppy is full, but I try to keep these files in groups. Is there a
> method to make Windows Explorer
>> give me the total KB of many selected files and, if so, how do I do it?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Jim Y

Anonymous
January 28, 2005 12:08:17 AM

I think once you hgave enabled it then you got to Tools-->Folder Options,
then select the "View Tab" and click the "Apply to all folders" Button
(thats from memory as I am on a Linux machine at the moment). The only
problem this might cause for you is it will set ALL you7r folders to have
the same view settings as the one you are in. So all your folders would have
list/thumbnail/icon view depending on the settings for the folder you are
in.

Cheers,

> The View-->Status Bar is what I prefer, but how to make it remain/hide at
> my choosing is another matter.
>
> My thanks to both of you ,
> Jim Y
>

> "Milamber³" <milamber@email.com> wrote in message
>> You could try enabling the status bar.
>>
>> View-->Status Bar
>>
>> I can't remember exactly how to make it stay there by default though...
>>
>> Shiv
>> "Jim Y" <j.s.yablonsky@NOSPAM.att.net> wrote in message
>>> In earlier versions of Windows Explorer, it automatically totaled the
>>> number of KB when selecting multiple files. I copy files to CDs and
>>> floppies for back up and it is much easier for the PC to make that total
>>> instead of me using a pocket calculator. I know the PC will stop once
>>> the CD or floppy is full, but I try to keep these files in groups. Is
>>> there a method to make Windows Explorer give me the total KB of many
>>> selected files and, if so, how do I do it?
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Jim Y

Anonymous
February 2, 2005 7:47:23 PM