Which program for unedited printing?

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 20, 2005 11:42:04 PM

Hi,

I want to print some pictures as they come out of my A95, at home. Usually I
send them out for my small prints but I want a few A4s at home, as I have
read that the 5MP files are good for up to that size. I don't do any post
processing at all, so I don't have photoshop.

What program should I use to print them ? Which one do you normally use ?

Thanks
Kostas
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 11:42:05 PM

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 19:42:04 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Belgos"
<kostas@pandora.be> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I want to print some pictures as they come out of my A95, at home. Usually I
>send them out for my small prints but I want a few A4s at home, as I have
>read that the 5MP files are good for up to that size. I don't do any post
>processing at all, so I don't have photoshop.
>
>What program should I use to print them ? Which one do you normally use ?

If you'd like a program, which can automatically scale, crop and/or
sharpen, take a look at Qimage. Free demo available at
http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
July 20, 2005 11:42:05 PM

Didn't some photo software come with the camera?
July 21, 2005 1:50:03 AM

The software with my Canon printer works fine for this, what printer are you
using?

"Belgos" <kostas@pandora.be> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I want to print some pictures as they come out of my A95, at home. Usually
> send them out for my small prints but I want a few A4s at home, as I have
> read that the 5MP files are good for up to that size. I don't do any post
> processing at all, so I don't have photoshop.
>
> What program should I use to print them ? Which one do you normally use ?
>
> Thanks
> Kostas

July 21, 2005 1:51:25 AM

"Belgos" <kostas@pandora.be> wrote in
> Hi,
>
> I want to print some pictures as they come out of my A95, at home. Usually
> send them out for my small prints but I want a few A4s at home, as I have
> read that the 5MP files are good for up to that size. I don't do any post
> processing at all, so I don't have photoshop.
>
> What program should I use to print them ? Which one do you normally use ?
>
> Thanks
> Kostas

Look at the Irfanview, it's great for quick viewing and printing, and it's
much, much better than the price would indicate (it's free!):
http://www.irfanview.com/
/per
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 2:14:15 AM

> The software with my Canon printer works fine for this, what printer are
you
> using?

A humble HP, model 1213...
Which application do you use?

Thanks
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 3:40:43 AM

> "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote in message
>> The software with my Canon printer works fine for this, what printer are
> you
>> using?
>>

> A humble HP, model 1213...
> Which application do you use?
>
> Thanks

I use the supplied Easy-PhotPrint that Canon supplies, if the HP printer is
a photo printer HP should have supplied some printing software. Also have a
look on the HP site.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 3:44:23 AM

I looked up that printer on the HP web site and failed to get a hit, more
info needed.

> "Belgos" <kostas@pandora.be> wrote in message
>>
>> "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote in message
>>> The software with my Canon printer works fine for this, what printer are
>> you
>>> using?
>>>

>> A humble HP, model 1213...
>> Which application do you use?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> I use the supplied Easy-PhotPrint that Canon supplies, if the HP printer
> is a photo printer HP should have supplied some printing software. Also
> have a look on the HP site.

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 1:21:56 PM

Belgos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to print some pictures as they come out of my A95, at home. Usually I
> send them out for my small prints but I want a few A4s at home, as I have
> read that the 5MP files are good for up to that size. I don't do any post
> processing at all, so I don't have photoshop.
>
> What program should I use to print them ? Which one do you normally use ?
>
> Thanks
> Kostas

If you have a recent version of Windows it should have a simple photo
editor that comes with it that should work okay.
July 21, 2005 10:35:40 PM

"Don Stauffer" <stauffer@usfamily.net> skrev i meddelandet
> Belgos wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to print some pictures as they come out of my A95, at home.
>> Usually I
>> send them out for my small prints but I want a few A4s at home, as I have
>> read that the 5MP files are good for up to that size. I don't do any post
>> processing at all, so I don't have photoshop.
>>
>> What program should I use to print them ? Which one do you normally use ?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Kostas
>>

> If you have a recent version of Windows it should have a simple photo
> editor that comes with it that should work okay.

But the free irfanview is more useful, imho,
per
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 2:48:57 AM

Thanks, I'll try the irfanview.
Yes, I do have software that came with the camera, I was just wondering if
there is something better that I don't know of.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 12:15:36 PM

Belgos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to print some pictures as they come out of my A95, at home. Usually I
> send them out for my small prints but I want a few A4s at home, as I have
> read that the 5MP files are good for up to that size. I don't do any post
> processing at all, so I don't have photoshop.
>
> What program should I use to print them ? Which one do you normally use ?
>
> Thanks
> Kostas

you could try gimp. http://www.gimp.org/

it's pretty good photo editor for free. you can also install PS plug
ins. not the best user interface but pretty powerful.

neatimage is a very good clean up tool. it's also a freeware program.
http://www.neatimage.com/

not sure if this answers your question though as these are both photo
processing programs. if your meaning you want to just send the image to
the printer and print... most OS's have some form of print manager. so
i'm assuming you mean you want to do some processing of some form. if
that is the case gimp does just about anything PS will do. just the
interface looks very DOS like. but free is free and it's a pretty good
program. just make sure you get the one for your operating system. it
was originally written for linux. (hense the dos'ie look)

cheers
kat
!