Pentium D 945 and 8800gt 512mb

blitzspecial

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
So I have a dell dimensions 5100 right now cause i'm a 16 year old high school student and that's all that's with in my budget. It has a 3.0 ghz P4 in it that i'm going to swap out for a pentium D 945 3.4 ghz. This is the best cpu that this motherboard supports according to all the articles I've looked at. I also currently have a EVGA 8800gt 512mb in my machine and it gets a hugely noticeable bottleneck with the P4. What I really want to know is if with the pentium D 945 3.4 ghz how much performance boost will i see and if it'll be bottlenecking the 8800gt still and if so how noticeable would this bottleneck be.

Thanks and get back to me as soon as possible.

Solution
Games will see a small increase in performance if they are only capable of using a single core, those that can use a dual-core might see an even less increase as the D wasn't the best dual-core, so don't spend a lot of cash on it.
Games will see a small increase in performance if they are only capable of using a single core, those that can use a dual-core might see an even less increase as the D wasn't the best dual-core, so don't spend a lot of cash on it.

Solution

blitzspecial

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
So i installed the new cpu and things are slow and when I open my games and what not the cpu fan freaks out i think i'm having power issues as i'm only on a 300 watt psu. Any thoughts.