Keep my gtx 1gb 460 sli or upgrade to a gtx 680

davemaster84

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Hi guys. Since the new kepler appeared I have been reading articles, benchmarks and all the stuff around it, I've no doubt that it's the ultimate single graphic card (for gaming) but I still have some doubts. I own a gtx 460 and I couldn't be more pleased, of course I wish I could have more performance but here are my questions.

1. Would be wise to wait for more powerful versions of the gtx 680? Gigabyte already released the gtx 680 OC, maybe I could wait for the 4gb version.
2. Jumping from the sli to the gtx 680 would give such improvement? Or just 10 fps average
3. Would my rig get the best from the 680? Here are my specs

Gigabyte Mobo fxa ud3
8 gb 1600mhz G skill ripjaws ram
Thermaltake though power 750w
AMD Phenom ii 955 overclocked to 3.6

Please help me chose! Thank you

Solution
<30 FPS
very limited gameplay

30-40 FPS
average yet very playable

40-60 FPS
good gameplay

>60 FPS
best possible gameplay

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-sli-review/1

In this review the 460 sli was benchmarked in a suite of games and with the exception of Metro 2033 which brings most video cards to thier knees all of the games were at 60 fps or better in 1920x1200 resolution and high settings.
I think that you know yourself what the gameplay is on your setup and if you could stand that setup for much longer and wait for the really good cards to come out.
I'm running the GTX 580's right now and am tempted with the 680's but I know there are much better cards coming so I can wait. I jumped on the cards I have now...
If you are currently running two 460's in sli then you are getting some very good gameplay and jumping to the 680 while it is an exciting prospect because of it being so hyped will not give you that wow factor because of the sli setup you have now. If you were going from a single 460 to a 680 then yes definetly make the jump. I would wait and see what comes out , you certianly are not struggeling for fps or gameplay lag. These card manufacturers have a way of releasing cards piecemeal so that once you buy one a different more powerful model is released. A good example is to look at the GTX 580's and what the different models are that the company Evga has released over the time since the first 580 was released.
I think that there will be a release by the end of the year that will be worth getting even it you have a 580.

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
460 SLI isn't so powerfull, i was with this questioning myself about a 560 ti SLI, but from 460 sli of course there will be a lot of difference jumping to a 680.

1-About the 2gb if you are playing on only one screen i don't think you would need to wait for the 4gb version, 2gb is more than enough for 1 screen under 2560 x 1600.

2- it will increase a lot your performance, not just in FPS but graphically wise, will allow you to use more Anti-Aliasing etc.

3- the rig should do it, good enough power supply, good CPU, mobo with pci x16, look ready to go.

also you will consume more energy and get much more graphical power, so it is plus in all the ways going to a 680

<30 FPS
very limited gameplay

30-40 FPS
average yet very playable

40-60 FPS
good gameplay

>60 FPS
best possible gameplay

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-sli-review/1

In this review the 460 sli was benchmarked in a suite of games and with the exception of Metro 2033 which brings most video cards to thier knees all of the games were at 60 fps or better in 1920x1200 resolution and high settings.
I think that you know yourself what the gameplay is on your setup and if you could stand that setup for much longer and wait for the really good cards to come out.
I'm running the GTX 580's right now and am tempted with the 680's but I know there are much better cards coming so I can wait. I jumped on the cards I have now and then a couple months later better cards came out. So this time I'm waiting for the 4gb and the super model to come out before I make a move. I think you are in a position to do the same.

Solution

davemaster84

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Thank you guys you both made good points. The gtx 680 is a beauty , low power consumption, excellent game performance and it runs cool, but it's pricey (as always) and I'll actually rather see how the rest of the 600 series perform, maybe a gtx 660 sli can take out a gtx 680 who knows, or maybe gigabyte or msi will release an awesome oc 4gb version of the 680. I'll duck a bit with my 460's. Thanks guys!

MMO Fan

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

Like you say no need to upgrade when 60fps is already being attained unless you like wasting your hard earned cash just to say you have a new card LOL.