Nokia 6310 - any way to get > 9.6k data?

Hi,

I currently use the phone on Orange PAYG which gives me 9.6k data
also, which I use (via a bluetooth connection) with a Toshiba E800 PDA
to get normal internet access. It works pretty well at the 640x480
resolution, but is very slow.

I heard there is some way to get 14.4k in the basic data mode on these
phones. Does anyone know how?

I know about HSCSD and GPRS but they are very expensive for my
occassional use and I need something that works abroad also.

Peter.
E-mail replies to peter4400@peter2000XY.co.uk but remove the X and the Y.
More about nokia 6310 data

    "Peter" <nowhere@anon.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I currently use the phone on Orange PAYG which gives me 9.6k data
    > also, which I use (via a bluetooth connection) with a Toshiba E800 PDA
    > to get normal internet access. It works pretty well at the 640x480
    > resolution, but is very slow.
    >
    > I heard there is some way to get 14.4k in the basic data mode on these
    > phones. Does anyone know how?
    >
    > I know about HSCSD and GPRS but they are very expensive for my
    > occassional use and I need something that works abroad also.

    HSD isn't available on PAYG, AFAIK.

    I think 9600 is the fastest you're going to get.

    Ivor

    Peter wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I currently use the phone on Orange PAYG which gives me 9.6k data
    > also, which I use (via a bluetooth connection) with a Toshiba E800 PDA
    > to get normal internet access. It works pretty well at the 640x480
    > resolution, but is very slow.
    >
    > I heard there is some way to get 14.4k in the basic data mode on these
    > phones. Does anyone know how?

    AFAIK, Orange support 14.4, perhaps try 156, I think thats the data line.

    > I know about HSCSD and GPRS but they are very expensive for my
    > occassional use and I need something that works abroad also.

    HSCSD is 28.8Kbps

    GPRS is 115Kbps (I think) and is billed for data transferred, so it
    shouldn't be expensive for occasional use - unless they bung on a monthly
    fee.

    Oh, GPRS is not available on PAYG, dunno about HSCSD.

    Ben

    "Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Peter wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I currently use the phone on Orange PAYG which gives me 9.6k data
    > > also, which I use (via a bluetooth connection) with a Toshiba E800 PDA
    > > to get normal internet access. It works pretty well at the 640x480
    > > resolution, but is very slow.
    > >
    > > I heard there is some way to get 14.4k in the basic data mode on these
    > > phones. Does anyone know how?
    >
    > AFAIK, Orange support 14.4, perhaps try 156, I think thats the data
    line.

    Not on PAYG.

    > > I know about HSCSD and GPRS but they are very expensive for my
    > > occassional use and I need something that works abroad also.
    >

    > HSCSD is 28.8Kbps

    Again, not on PAYG.

    > GPRS is 115Kbps (I think) and is billed for data transferred, so it
    > shouldn't be expensive for occasional use - unless they bung on a
    monthly
    > fee.
    >
    > Oh, GPRS is not available on PAYG, dunno about HSCSD.

    GPRS is, but HSD isn't.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > Not on PAYG.
    > Again, not on PAYG.
    > GPRS is, but HSD isn't.

    OK.

    (that told me)

    :-p

    Ben

    Well, not so fast, it depends on where you are:

    GPRS is available (as of last year) on PAYG on:

    Movistar ES Activa
    Orange UK PAYG
    Orange NL PAYG

    albeit, in some cases at, well, *elevated* charges.

    Orange FR does not nor does SFR FR offer GPRS on PAYG. That strikes me
    as predatory. If you have the bucks to pay for a service, and the
    service exists, why should you be coerced into signing a contract.

    But whatevah, they don't get my business.

    Cheers, Andy

    Ben Pope wrote:
    > Ivor Jones wrote:
    >
    >>Not on PAYG.