Nokia 6310 - any way to get > 9.6k data?

Last response: in Brands
Share
June 10, 2004 7:35:06 PM

Hi,

I currently use the phone on Orange PAYG which gives me 9.6k data
also, which I use (via a bluetooth connection) with a Toshiba E800 PDA
to get normal internet access. It works pretty well at the 640x480
resolution, but is very slow.

I heard there is some way to get 14.4k in the basic data mode on these
phones. Does anyone know how?

I know about HSCSD and GPRS but they are very expensive for my
occassional use and I need something that works abroad also.

Peter.
E-mail replies to peter4400@peter2000XY.co.uk but remove the X and the Y.

More about : nokia 6310 data

Anonymous
June 10, 2004 9:17:36 PM

"Peter" <nowhere@anon.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I currently use the phone on Orange PAYG which gives me 9.6k data
> also, which I use (via a bluetooth connection) with a Toshiba E800 PDA
> to get normal internet access. It works pretty well at the 640x480
> resolution, but is very slow.
>
> I heard there is some way to get 14.4k in the basic data mode on these
> phones. Does anyone know how?
>
> I know about HSCSD and GPRS but they are very expensive for my
> occassional use and I need something that works abroad also.

HSD isn't available on PAYG, AFAIK.

I think 9600 is the fastest you're going to get.

Ivor
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 12:49:19 AM

Peter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I currently use the phone on Orange PAYG which gives me 9.6k data
> also, which I use (via a bluetooth connection) with a Toshiba E800 PDA
> to get normal internet access. It works pretty well at the 640x480
> resolution, but is very slow.
>
> I heard there is some way to get 14.4k in the basic data mode on these
> phones. Does anyone know how?

AFAIK, Orange support 14.4, perhaps try 156, I think thats the data line.

> I know about HSCSD and GPRS but they are very expensive for my
> occassional use and I need something that works abroad also.

HSCSD is 28.8Kbps

GPRS is 115Kbps (I think) and is billed for data transferred, so it
shouldn't be expensive for occasional use - unless they bung on a monthly
fee.

Oh, GPRS is not available on PAYG, dunno about HSCSD.

Ben
June 11, 2004 12:49:20 AM

"Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Peter wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I currently use the phone on Orange PAYG which gives me 9.6k data
> > also, which I use (via a bluetooth connection) with a Toshiba E800 PDA
> > to get normal internet access. It works pretty well at the 640x480
> > resolution, but is very slow.
> >
> > I heard there is some way to get 14.4k in the basic data mode on these
> > phones. Does anyone know how?
>
> AFAIK, Orange support 14.4, perhaps try 156, I think thats the data
line.

Not on PAYG.

> > I know about HSCSD and GPRS but they are very expensive for my
> > occassional use and I need something that works abroad also.
>

> HSCSD is 28.8Kbps

Again, not on PAYG.

> GPRS is 115Kbps (I think) and is billed for data transferred, so it
> shouldn't be expensive for occasional use - unless they bung on a
monthly
> fee.
>
> Oh, GPRS is not available on PAYG, dunno about HSCSD.

GPRS is, but HSD isn't.

Ivor
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 3:31:23 AM

Ivor Jones wrote:
> Not on PAYG.
> Again, not on PAYG.
> GPRS is, but HSD isn't.

OK.

(that told me)

:-p

Ben
June 12, 2004 2:44:07 AM

Well, not so fast, it depends on where you are:

GPRS is available (as of last year) on PAYG on:

Movistar ES Activa
Orange UK PAYG
Orange NL PAYG

albeit, in some cases at, well, *elevated* charges.

Orange FR does not nor does SFR FR offer GPRS on PAYG. That strikes me
as predatory. If you have the bucks to pay for a service, and the
service exists, why should you be coerced into signing a contract.

But whatevah, they don't get my business.

Cheers, Andy

!