Can HPp6695a handle Radeon HD7770?

Solution

Hi Aqpig - The consensus seems to be if you want to run an hd7770 (& not 7750) you should not chance it with ur current psu.
I'm chiming in because I had to go the route I think you need to go, ie upgrade PSU 1st if u can't afford both at the same time
and then upgrade GPU later.

Tom

bucknutty

Distinguished
That pc only has a 250 watt PSU. The i5 draws around 90 watts. The 7700 draws around 80 watts. So if we add them up thats 170 watts of draw at max load. Remeber we still need some room for the motherboard, ram, drives, and fans.

I think your cutting it close but my thought is even at max load that computer will only draw around 200watts, so you should be ok. Did you install any extra fans, hdds, or cards that will use electricity?

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

Do you want to see if some crap HP 250W PSU can handle that? I bet on it not going well.

bucknutty

Distinguished
I would be willing to bet that it will work fine... But it’s not my equipment, so the question is would the OP be willing to make that bet.

Here we see a 7770 with an i5 that has a healthy over clock that has a total power draw of 155. http://www.custompcreview.com/reviews/sapphire-hd7770-ghz-edition-vapor-x-review/9381/3/

I have every confidence that the HP PSU will hold up to 65% to 75% of its advertised capacity without blowing up.

Modern media and PSU advertisements have fooled us to over building and over spending on PSUs. If you look at the real numbers and do the math most times your using far less power than you think you are.

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

How can I do the math when OP's PSU doesn't have the rated +12V amperage on the specs at the web site?!

Beyond that, you forget that most of that power draw in your link is +12V whereas we have no idea what OP's PSU is capable of. Maybe OP can open up his/her computer case and see if the sticker has this info.

I never overspend on PSUs. I am extremely tight about this and have been criticized for going too low, so when I say that this PSU is probably not enough, I mean it. Chances are that it doesn't even have more than 10 to 13 amps rating on the 12V rail and even if it could go that high, that'd probably be near maxing it out with an i5 and a 7770, something that's very unsafe to do on such a PSU.

bucknutty

Distinguished
True, we really have no idea what the HP PSU is good for. Of course I’m speaking in generalities. In my experience the Best-Tec labeled PSUs in most HPs are not very good, but then again they are not terrible either.

It really is a crap shoot.

Hi Aqpig - The consensus seems to be if you want to run an hd7770 (& not 7750) you should not chance it with ur current psu.
I'm chiming in because I had to go the route I think you need to go, ie upgrade PSU 1st if u can't afford both at the same time
and then upgrade GPU later.

Tom

Solution