Sign in with
Your question

Advice me on my graphics situation

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 8, 2012 6:52:31 PM

Hi I have an interesting graphics situation that has come up.
The problem is I already have a new Amd Radeon Hd6670 card. I also have a monitor, Samsung Syncmaster 940b. I am going to get an Ivy Bridge 3770 new build, and still use the monitor. There is a built in Gpu I believe.
Bottleneck, yes.

Starcraft 2, upcoming expansion. 3D editing. Graphic painting and maybe another game or two.
What do I do, what is the level of card that minimizes the bottleneck?
a b U Graphics card
April 8, 2012 7:31:54 PM

the 6670 you have is better than the built in intel graphics. So you would use it and not the integrated.

As for bottleneck, yes. Not too big of a problem with SC though. I have a machine at home running a 6670 and a core2quad which runs SCII just fine @ 1600x1050.

That said, there are much better cards if you want to shell out some money. Games like bf3 don't run well on a 6670.

With that cpu, the gpu will always be the bottleneck (excluding sli/cf). Which means anything from a $150 card to a $600 card would work. What's your budget?
April 8, 2012 8:11:53 PM

Good to hear that it runs Sc2 well.
Idon't know really. I will have to see after getting all the other stuff I'm getting.

I have another thread on the entire build up. But I am yet to get any replies. It was my first post here, and I might have written the post a bit too big to get replies, or made a similar mistake.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2012 1:04:13 AM

i'll respond to it.
it's slow here on sundays
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 9, 2012 1:16:29 AM

Tell us what power supply you have or are getting so that when we know your budget we can pair it with a good graphic card.
Think at least GTX560Ti or HD7850. It can go up to GTX680 or HD7970 but of course will cost more.
-Bruce
a c 159 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 9, 2012 2:17:18 AM

I agree with the above.
Basically decide on a budget and buy the best card (google benchmarks).

The other issue is that the GTX680 is a better gaming card, but the HD7970 is better for COMPUTE. Would you utilize the HD7970's compute features? Also the HD7970/HD7950's are a little overpriced and are expected to drop in a few months as the GTX600 series comes in.

NEW BUILD.
You can build your own system far cheaper and better than buying new. If you want help I can easily generate a list of recommended parts. (I have personally designed and built over 100 systems.)

Summary:
- buy best card in budget (HD6870 is best value at $150 if you shop around)
- Power Supply on pre-builts is often inadequate for high-end graphics cards
- Why not build your own system? Far better and cheaper. It's a lot easier than it looks if you have help.

*Another issue with pre-builds is you generally void the warranty by opening it up. Want to mess around with graphics cards, swap the PSU, hard drive, SSD etc? Sorry.

Got a simple problem but need to open the case to check something. You have to send it back.
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2012 3:35:32 AM

^he has another thread for the system.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/341821-31-build-1300-...

edit: I suppose now would be a good time to mention that a single thread is best when asking about a new build. There are exceptions but it's easier if we don't have to skip between two threads.
April 9, 2012 11:16:05 AM

Thank you for the replies!

I plan on getting a quality psu. Probably coolermaster because my old coolermaster psu is still working after 4 years. 600w Silent Pro Gold.

I will lookup compute.

Slicedtoad, I wasn't expecting to discuss much more than the graphics card and monitor here.
How does using a dvi cord compare with hdmi cords? (we could also put vga in the comparison mix).
April 9, 2012 11:26:53 AM

Photonboy, yeah that would be great. I am currently finding my way through recommended part lists.
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2012 4:15:01 PM

hdmi = dvi with sound. I'd avoid vga at 1920x1080+. Compute is doing work on your gpu, like folding@home or bitcoin mining.
April 9, 2012 4:45:55 PM

Then dvi and hdmi will show up equal on the monitor, nice.

How about vga vs dvi? :) 
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2012 5:49:17 PM

VGA is analogue so it's hard to say exactly what the difference will be. But worse. Usually less sharp at high resolutions.

Also there are many different types of each, I won't explain them though since it just causes confusion. Instead just assume I'm talking about the standard dvi/hdmi/vga ports on your standard modern monitor and gpu.
!