jumex

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
So I've been waiting to build a computer until the new line of Nvidia cards came out, but what's the deal? So is this Gtx680 the top tier or what? What I've heard is that they haven't released the real "top tier" card yet or something, wtf. I been waiting to build this computer for like 2 years now and I don't want to buy the midline card of the next generation because of some rediculous naming scheme.

Last generation top tier was the gtx580; this generation should have been called the gtx680. If it isn't, that is a terrible marketing ploy and I want to know when Nvidia is releasing their "real" top tier card of this generation.

Solution

Welcome to capitalism. That's just how it works.

From what I've heard the GTX 690 will most likely use two GK 104s. I think that's the only way they could keep the power usage and heat generation low enough in a dual core card. If it does indeed use GK 104s then I would guess the release date will be in the next month or two.

I would just waiting till Ivy bridge comes out and pick up a 680 to go along with that.

auntarie

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
The "top tier" they're talking about is probably the 690 (or whatever they're gonna call it) which is going to be the next-gen dual GPU to replace the 590. So yeah, 680 is the most powerful single-GPU out right now and in this generation.

If you wait for the next top thing, you will wait forever.
The GTX680 is currently the top single gpu card available today. It is in short supply. The 7970 is close.
The 6990 and GTX590 dual gpu cards are competitive if you can find one.

No doubt, there will be a dual gpu variant, and perhaps even a stronger single gpu card coming.

Go ahead and build your next pc. Put whatever strong card you want in it.
It will not be hard to change a graphics card out for something stronger later.
I do not see that as necessary unless you are looking at triple monitor gaming.

soccerdocks

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
The GTX 680 is indeed currently the top tier of this generation for single GPU cards. The 690 will be faster but it will be a dual GPU card.

However, it appears that the 680 is based on the GK 104 chip which was predicted to be released as a 660/670. However, they decided to release it and call it the 680. Most likely because it was able to easily beat the offering of AMD. This has allowed them to delay the release of their true top tier chip, the GK 110. There are some rumors that this will be released as the GTX 685. However, this would not be for many months. Source

The current rumor has it that nVidia was planning the release of a series of cards to "one up" the AMD offerings by 10% or so...... but when they saw the benchies of the 79xx series, they revamped their plans a bit. Again, this is all rumor but word has it that the planned 660Ti was able to top the 7970 so it was quickly renamed the 680 and the "planned" 670 and 680 will get a new designation.

nVidia decided to focus more on gaming performance in the 1st series of cards to better compete w/AMD in the gaming segment; their previous huge advantage in GPU computing via CUDA never really had an impact on gamers selections. I did find it quite interesting that THG chose to ignore GPU computing in the in testing while nVidia's CUDA made it the only real choice. Now that nVidia pulled it from the early 6xx series cards, and AMD added capability in that arena, now all of a sudden it's part of the THG test suite.

"Big Kepler" is expected around August and will include GPU computing

I been waiting to build this computer for like 2 years now and I don't want to buy the midline card of the next generation because of some rediculous naming scheme.....this generation should have been called the gtx680. If it isn't, that is a terrible marketing ploy and I want to know when Nvidia is releasing their "real" top tier card of this generation.

1. You will always "outta date" 3-6 months from when ya buy. Buy a "reference" 680 now and it wil get trounce by the souped up "non-reference" designs manufacturers put out 3 months from now.

2. As for the "his generation should have been called the gtx680.".... says who ? The 580 was the card nVidia put out to compete with (and beat) the 6070......the 690 was the card they put out to compete with (and beat) the 7970.

3. For the last three generations I simply can not recommend ever buying the "top end" GFX card. I used to always buy the top end card figuring I'd go SLI or CF 18 months down the road. Now the economics simply don't support that mindset.

-One 580 got us 616 fps in Son No. 2's box for $500 ... he still insists he gonna buy a 2nd one "someday"....but when he does, for 2.5 times the investment, he'll get a whopping 10% more fps than Son No. 3

-Two 560 Ti's got u 862 fps in Son No. 3's box for $410 .... 40% more performance for 80% of the price.

If ya been waiting two years, I'd wait till the mid range cards, "big kepler" and non-reference 680's come out as the best way of avoiding "Buyer's Remorse"

jumex

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008

First off, I want to thank everyone for their input. I see now how long I've put off my build waiting for next best thing and really there is always going to be something better in the future.

I want a single gpu card, don't get me wrong; I know the dual gpu's are technically the top tier. The thing that really ticks me off is I was waiting all this time FOR the GK 110 and it isn't in the gtx 680 like everyone thought/hoped it would, and then to find out that it's all because the lower end chip can do a little better than ATI? That pisses me off. I want the GTX 685; I want the GK 110. That's what I've been excited about for two years.

Just to clarify though, will the dual gpu versions use the GK 110 chip? When do those plan to be released and will they come out before the rumored single gpu GK 110 card?

soccerdocks

Distinguished
May 24, 2011

Welcome to capitalism. That's just how it works.

From what I've heard the GTX 690 will most likely use two GK 104s. I think that's the only way they could keep the power usage and heat generation low enough in a dual core card. If it does indeed use GK 104s then I would guess the release date will be in the next month or two.

I would just waiting till Ivy bridge comes out and pick up a 680 to go along with that.

Solution