Sign in with
Your question
Solved

3930k Build FUBAR (maybe)

Last response: in CPUs
October 4, 2012 3:49:17 PM

I'll make this quick. While I was taking the protector cap off of my Asus P9X79 Pro motherboard, my finger slipped and actually touched the inside of the LGA2011 socket. My hand was clean, it was only very slight, but it happened nevertheless. I googled a bit, and it was inconclusive, so I went ahead and built it anyway. And... it works! It started, I've run about 20 iterations of Intel Burn Test, nothing seems to be awry. So my question: If anything were wrong, would it have been obvious at the outset, or is there some chance that this will be, to quote the Tool song "Waiting like a stalking Butler"; that I'll have a bunch of tiny failures/issues that appear over time?

Thanks.

More about : 3930k build fubar

October 4, 2012 3:58:12 PM

Did you bend any of the pins or get any dirt or anything like that in there?

Best solution

a c 104 à CPUs
October 4, 2012 3:58:14 PM

If it works fine then there is nothing to worry about.

If something was wrong, you wouldn't be able to boot.
Related resources
October 4, 2012 4:19:58 PM

LastVampyer said:
Did you bend any of the pins or get any dirt or anything like that in there?

Not that I could see. They always talk about the oils on your hands, or shorting things out etc... That's what I was worried about. But no visible dirt for sure.
October 4, 2012 4:27:57 PM

sgt bombulous said:
Not that I could see. They always talk about the oils on your hands, or shorting things out etc... That's what I was worried about. But no visible dirt for sure.

I wouldn't worry too much. Like jay_nar said, if there was a major problem you probably wouldn't even be able to boot. Still, keep your eyes and ears open for anything suspicious and if you change anything in the BOIS make a note of it (settings before change, after chance, any impact those changes had on your PC). You should be fine but it doesn't hurt to be safe :p 
October 8, 2012 5:09:01 AM

Best answer selected by sgt bombulous.
!