Solved

Upgrade Laptop i5 to i7

Hello! I have an HP Dv6t-6100 CTO Select Edition that I got in September of 2011. Well the i5 was the cheaper option by the 200 dollars and still seemed pretty good, but now I am getting into more demanding tasks (Video Rendering, ect.) I have been doing research and the i7-2720QM has the same socket as my i5-2410m. Is there any way I can upgrade? I know my chipset supports it. The main thing I see is that the i7 uses 10 watts more. Is this an issue?

Thanks!
Hunter.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrade laptop
  1. In terms of heat that can be a problem.

You need to check if it is soldered into the motherboard and that means you can either try CPUID or open the laptop, just remember you have a danger of damaging the motherboard so keep touching a metal object that is also touching the ground.
  2. I know the processor isn't soldered. I have seen videos and the manual shows how you can open up the laptop. I know when I bought the laptop that the i7 was a choice of processor.
  3. Best answer
    Well then you have a clear upgrade path, the laptop might get a bit more hot under heavy load but thats it really
  4. Okay, Thanks.
  5. Best answer selected by huntybee.
  6. See if you can find photos, the i7 may have come with a different cooler...
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel i7 Intel i5