Sign in with
Your question

Notebook access internet but not local workgroup

Last response: in Networking
June 15, 2011 12:17:48 PM

My dell inspiron 9100 has had problems since new to access my local workgroup (not a domain) sometimes it has worked and others it does not. Currently there is no anti virus installed as I have removed that and firewall to remove any problems that these software can create. I have the right workgroup name ip address is hardwired correctly with correct subnet. I can ping other computer on same network with no errors but cannot log into my workgroup as windows tells me I have no premission and to contact the admin (LOL that is me as sorry as that sounds. I have full access to the internet but not to other computers. Dellnote is running XP Pro service pack 3 - If I click on my network places I have nothing in that box - If I click on view workgroup computers I am told that my workgroup name is not accessable. You might not have permission to use this network resource, contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have premission. The network path was not found... I have turned off Router, network hub and firebrick. Turned all back on and same results I am becoming bald as I am pulling my hair out! If I go to my windows 7 64 bit ultimate computer and do a network search it only sees it self.

Now the maddening thing about all of this if I call up Total Commander (Norton Commander rewritten) and click on network icon nothing lol since there is a split screen I type into the command prompt of the other screen \\dellnote and press enter - LOL- guess what - yep you got it Dellnote shares are listed and I can connect to any shares, now hold that thought go to the right half of TC and refresh the network and Dellnote cannot be seen! Using the left half of Win 7 computer TC and can access all shares and file transfer from DellNote shares. :bounce: 

Whilst the above para is happening I run total commander and right window try and access the local network and again the annoying noise and workgroup is not accessible on the left screen at the command prompt I type in \\icehappy-brtvpc and guess what? LOL actually no cry out loud I have full resources of that windows 7 64 bit ultimate network shares and access any of them and transfer files..... :pt1cable: 

Mean time both machines access internet just fine.... :o 

Please help before I soak Dellnote which has served me well without any other problems in its entire life into a bucket of water... Many thanks for your patience in reading this sad tale. BTW all other computers on my local network and there are 8 has no problems what so ever. Only this Dell cannot see the workgroup at times but this command prompt work around totally has me baffled.... Thanks again I am at my fellow clever people mercy. :hello: 

and as ever many thanks for this forum :D 

June 15, 2011 1:57:30 PM

IceHappy said:
My dell inspiron 9100 has had problems since new to access my local workgroup (not a domain) sometimes it has worked and others it does not. Currently there is no anti virus installed as I have removed that and firewall to remove any problems that these software can create. I have the right workgroup name ip address is hardwired correctly with correct subnet. I can ping other computer on same network with no errors but cannot log into my workgroup as windows tells me I have no premission and to contact the admin (LOL that is me as sorry as that sounds. I have full access to the internet but not to other computers. Dellnote is running XP Pro service pack 3 - If I click on my network places I have nothing in that box - If I click on view workgroup computers I am told that my workgroup name is not accessable. You might not have permission to use this network resource, contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have premission. The network path was not found... I have turned off Router, network hub and firebrick. Turned all back on and same results I am becoming bald as I am pulling my hair out! If I go to my windows 7 64 bit ultimate computer and do a network search it only sees it self.

Now the maddening thing about all of this if I call up Total Commander (Norton Commander rewritten) and click on network icon nothing lol since there is a split screen I type into the command prompt of the other screen \\dellnote and press enter - LOL- guess what - yep you got it Dellnote shares are listed and I can connect to any shares, now hold that thought go to the right half of TC and refresh the network and Dellnote cannot be seen! Using the left half of Win 7 computer TC and can access all shares and file transfer from DellNote shares. :bounce: 

Whilst the above para is happening I run total commander and right window try and access the local network and again the annoying noise and workgroup is not accessible on the left screen at the command prompt I type in \\icehappy-brtvpc and guess what? LOL actually no cry out loud I have full resources of that windows 7 64 bit ultimate network shares and access any of them and transfer files..... :pt1cable: 

Mean time both machines access internet just fine.... :o 

Please help before I soak Dellnote which has served me well without any other problems in its entire life into a bucket of water... Many thanks for your patience in reading this sad tale. BTW all other computers on my local network and there are 8 has no problems what so ever. Only this Dell cannot see the workgroup at times but this command prompt work around totally has me baffled.... Thanks again I am at my fellow clever people mercy. :hello: 

and as ever many thanks for this forum :D 

On a side note I have gone to the win 7 64 ult computer named IceHappy-BRTVPC and clicked again on the Network which since turning on my wife's Toshiba Notebook shows that notebook as well as itself even though Dellnote through the command prompted connected and transfer 4 subdirectories with 4 gigs in each one IceHappy-BRTVPC.

I went upstairs to my wifes Toshiba and clicked on Network and it showed itself, IceHappy-BRTVPC and DellNote!

I must point out my wifes Toshiba is running Windows 7 64 Home with service pack 1 but has a 100 mhz NIC.

Dellnote running XP 3 Pro service Pack 3 NIC 100 mhz.

IceHappy-BRTVPC Windows 7 64 Ulitmate is running a 1000mhz NIC.

When I click on Network on DellNote I still cannot connect to the workgroup but when showing "My Network Places" it has the directory on IceHappy-BRTVPC, cut and pasted here that link to show this.... "2010 Videos Back Up n Richard on BRTVCPU (icehappy-brtvpc)"

I would understand no acccess to workgroups as google shows many people experience this problem and the only solution I have seen that seem to have work was a total rebuild of the OS. I must also point out DellNote Hdd died last year and that OS build had this intermittent problem as does the new Hdd with a brand new build of same OS not a restored back up!

Thanks again for reading this and would appreciate any advice and will post the results of that trial solution!

All my best
IceHappy who is going out of his logical mind :cry: 

!