Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade: 7870 or 7850 from 6870

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 8, 2012 10:13:25 PM

I am planning on selling my 6870 to a friend i am helping build a pc, i also just sold my corsair gs600 and between the two i have around 200, i would be willing to spend 150 in addition to that(so 350 total) but no more, but only if it is definitely worth it to get the 7870 over the 7850. I mostly play skyrim, but i would like it to be able to play other things without a hitch, i have bf3 but dont play it too often, and i will probably play diablo 3 and maybe guild wars 2. Other info: 1920x1080 and my cpu is a 955BE its running stock now but i can push it to 3.8 on stock voltage no problem. Also i dont have that much time to game anymore, and since most of what i play is skyrim and other such games, being able to max bf3 would be nice but only to say i can, im not exactly sure that is worth $100.

I appreciate any help with the matter!

More about : upgrade 7870 7850 6870

a c 175 U Graphics card
April 9, 2012 5:54:25 AM

I don't think it is any worth it with your Processor :) .
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2012 7:08:43 AM

his processor is fine
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2012 7:26:04 AM

What games are you seeing struggle on your 6870?
The question is basically: "Should I upgrade my 6870 to either a 7850 or 7870 (I am running 1920x1080)?"
IMO, the answer to that question, with the exception of literally a handful of games (and maybe a few GPU accelerated office apps), is: "NO".
m
l
April 9, 2012 7:32:06 AM

guitarwiz23 said:
I am planning on selling my 6870 to a friend i am helping build a pc, i also just sold my corsair gs600 and between the two i have around 200, i would be willing to spend 150 in addition to that(so 350 total) but no more, but only if it is definitely worth it to get the 7870 over the 7850. I mostly play skyrim, but i would like it to be able to play other things without a hitch, i have bf3 but dont play it too often, and i will probably play diablo 3 and maybe guild wars 2. Other info: 1920x1080 and my cpu is a 955BE its running stock now but i can push it to 3.8 on stock voltage no problem. Also i dont have that much time to game anymore, and since most of what i play is skyrim and other such games, being able to max bf3 would be nice but only to say i can, im not exactly sure that is worth $100.

I appreciate any help with the matter!

Well if you are on a budget with that CPU I'd go for the 7850 (I wouldn't upgrade it at all if I was you but if you want to help your friend selling you old GPU). And if your friend want to save money here is a little trick my friend told me when I was on a budget.

Buy a 30inch plasma T.V. or a little shorter one (they are hella cheap and just 720p resolution). That way you can play games with max graphix quality (since your using a low resolution) and the "Dam thats a huge screen" can make it for the 720p over the 1080p for some of us.

A 6870 look like a beast when you play below 1080p. Going that way I didn't felt the need to upgrade my 8800gtx till this year.

Just my two cents.
m
l
April 9, 2012 7:36:23 AM

To be honest the 6870 is a great mid-range card that isn't too far off from the 7850. On the Tom's Hardware Hierarchy chart, it is recommended that one doesn't upgrade unless it is 3 tiers up from what you currently have.

For you, that would be a 7950 or at the minimum a 7870.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...
m
l
April 9, 2012 8:33:41 AM

6870 is a nice card. Save your money for a high end later. Or may be you're a guy (like me) who just likes to spend every dime in his pocket when he gets a chance :)  Well, if that's the case, spend on something else.
m
l
a c 76 U Graphics card
April 9, 2012 9:30:52 AM

venur said:
And if your friend want to save money here is a little trick my friend told me when I was on a budget.

Buy a 30inch plasma T.V. or a little shorter one (they are hella cheap and just 720p resolution). That way you can play games with max graphix quality (since your using a low resolution) and the "Dam thats a huge screen" can make it for the 720p over the 1080p for some of us.

If that works for you fine I suppose. its not really a trick though. You might as well buy an Xbox and save a ton of money at that point.

A basic rule is the bigger the screen the higher the resolution needs to be. Using A 720P TV completely defeats the point of PC gaming, and if you are sitting at normal PC distance it will look absolutely atrocious. Sitting farther away defeats the purpose of a big screen. I cannot recommend strongly enough that you DO NOT do this.
m
l
April 9, 2012 10:26:22 AM

unksol said:
If that works for you fine I suppose. its not really a trick though. You might as well buy an Xbox and save a ton of money at that point.

A basic rule is the bigger the screen the higher the resolution needs to be. Using A 720P TV completely defeats the point of PC gaming, and if you are sitting at normal PC distance it will look absolutely atrocious. Sitting farther away defeats the purpose of a big screen. I cannot recommend strongly enough that you DO NOT do this.

+1

Right now I have my rig hooked up to my 42" Vizio (1080p) and it doesn't hold a candle to my 24" ASUS 1080p computer monitor. The only reason I do it is so that I can game in bed (I use a bed tray for my mouse and keyboard).

The bigger the screen, the bigger the pixels. And I don't even want to think about how terrible a 42" at 720p would be. It's PS3/Xbox quality (or lack therof).
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2012 10:29:10 AM

^+1 - Exactly - the whole idea by spending as much as we do is to have a better experience compared to a gaming console. This "trick" is a load of crap - DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER THIS!!!!. As stated above the card you had was not too shabby - from there you should be looking at HD7950 or wait for some of the new nvidia cards.
-Bruce
m
l
April 9, 2012 1:24:24 PM

unksol said:

1)You put the screen on your desk not further away sitted on your couch.
2)Many poeple on a budget play on a 20-22" monitor with a lower resolution then 1080p
3)The PC gaming look atrocious on T.V. was true with our old catod T.V.
4)My Xbox gaming realy do not compare to my old PC rig with a 30" t.v.
5) I used to think the same as you guys about that idea befoure I've tested it myself. For some poeple on a budget playing with with a little lower res but eveyr option clicked "on".

because earing your comment everyone was just stupid to play PC games before they invented 1080p monitor ?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2012 1:54:18 PM

i use a 32" 1080p television, on my desk, like a monitor

i way prefer it over smaller 1080p monitors
m
l
a c 76 U Graphics card
April 9, 2012 3:22:10 PM

venur said:
1)You put the screen on your desk not further away sitted on your couch.
2)Many poeple on a budget play on a 20-22" monitor with a lower resolution then 1080p
3)The PC gaming look atrocious on T.V. was true with our old catod T.V.
4)My Xbox gaming realy do not compare to my old PC rig with a 30" t.v.
5) I used to think the same as you guys about that idea befoure I've tested it myself. For some poeple on a budget playing with with a little lower res but eveyr option clicked "on".

because earing your comment everyone was just stupid to play PC games before they invented 1080p monitor ?

And if you put it on your desk at normal distance it will look horrible. That's all there is too it. it doesn't even make sense price wise sine you can buy a 23 inch 1080p monitor for 100 bucks and run it at 720p and it will still be big, The pixels will be way smaller, and when you get a real GPU you have a monitor. Like it or not 1080p on medium is better than 720p on ultra. bigger just makes it worse not better. its exactly like playing Xbox with your face pressed against the tv.
m
l
April 9, 2012 4:27:49 PM

i'm thinking you'd get about 120 for the 6870 if you sold it, so you'd be paying 260 for the 7850. net that's 140 out of pocket. honestly for the dollar, the best performance upgrade would be another 175 dollar 6870 and do crossfire. did you consider that? i think that would woop on any 350 card out there.
m
l
April 9, 2012 8:22:52 PM

tuffluck said:
i'm thinking you'd get about 120 for the 6870 if you sold it, so you'd be paying 260 for the 7850. net that's 140 out of pocket. honestly for the dollar, the best performance upgrade would be another 175 dollar 6870 and do crossfire. did you consider that? i think that would woop on any 350 card out there.

my motherboard has one x16 lane and one x4 lane, but yes i have thought of that
m
l
April 9, 2012 10:23:26 PM

neon neophyte said:
i use a 32" 1080p television, on my desk, like a monitor

i way prefer it over smaller 1080p monitors

You may prefer it, and more power to you, but...

It looks worse, and whether or not you fail to see it doesn't make it any less true.

The bigger the screen, the bigger the pixels. It's that simple.
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
April 9, 2012 10:50:06 PM

That's a bit subjective. It may be grainier, but it's also larger, which gives you more immersion. What is more important, what is considered worse or better is subjective.

I can tell you that I preferred 27" 1080p over 24" 1200p. The 27" may have a lower DPI, but it has a higher immersion factor. Therefore I do not see it as "worse", but you might.
m
l
April 9, 2012 11:13:16 PM

bystander said:
That's a bit subjective. It may be grainier, but it's also larger, which gives you more immersion. What is more important, what is considered worse or better is subjective.

I can tell you that I preferred 27" 1080p over 24" 1200p. The 27" may have a lower DPI, but it has a higher immersion factor. Therefore I do not see it as "worse", but you might.

You make an excellent point about the immersion.

You are also correct about it being subjective.

For me personally, I look at it this way...

If you are playing on a 42", you cannot sit up close, as in 12 inches from nose to screen. You have to get at least 5 feet back for optimal viewing of a display that size, and even further back for bigger displays. This much isn't really subjective, seeing as how one would not be able to see the entire display very well sitting close up.

Now, if you close one eye and stick your hand up 3 inches from your eyes, it will cover the same amount of the display relative to your line of sight as would the 24" display at 12 inches. But unlike the 24" display, the pixels will be more far more unsightly, considering that the attributes of something is not contingent upon it's perceived size.
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
April 9, 2012 11:43:05 PM

The fact that he hangs the 32" tv on a wall in front of his desk does suggests he sits further away from it then the average gamer is from their monitor, so it's probably not as grainy as you may think. He also gains more desk space.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 10, 2012 1:02:46 AM

i sit about 3 feet away, so really the pixels arent any bigger to me than you with your 24" monitor. i however have the option to lean in and i can tell you its an option worth having. granted, you could lean in with a 24" monitor as well, but the screen would be on the end of your nose

the first game that really made me experience this was farcry 2. playing it on a smaller monitor was a complete eyesore i pick up more detail. i own both a 24 inch monitor and a 32 inch tv, i use the 32 inch for gameplay. it is infact a better experience. dont knock it until uve tried it
m
l
!