Sign in with
Your question

Which is Better AMD or Intel?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
October 4, 2012 6:15:48 PM

Hi,
I am a 3D Animator & VFX Editor and i am planning to buy a computer this month but i am a bit confused between AMD FX-8150 and Intel i5-3570K.

Both are High End CPU's good enough for my work but i am planning for a computer which would run Applications like 3Ds Max. Maya, After Effects, Fusion, Adobe Photoshop and other video editing applications. I will also play games (only on weekends) like Call of Duty: Black Ops, Battlefield 3, Max Payne 3, NFS Shift.
But my concern is not games i want a CPU which has more cores but should be fast enough because i need to RENDER my 3D files which uses the complete CPU power. Hence the CPU should be powerful enough in all terms and i am also planning to overclock it.

Specs of Both the CPU's (There is a clear differnce between both of them):

AMD FX-8150 : Eight Cores and 3.6 GHz (OC: 4.2 GHz)
Intel i5-3570K : Quad Core and 3.4 Ghz (OC: 3.8 GHz)

I have compared the benchmarks of both the CPU's and i5-3570K is a clear winner. And it has the new Ivy Bridge technology which has less power consumption (though it gets hotter than i5-2500K )and has better onboard graphics (Intel 4000). Also i have reviewed that the "Bulldozer" series is not upto the mark (it is relatively slower than AMD Phenom II x6 1100T) and heats up pretty fast. But the it provides 8 cores which is worth of its price and on the contrary i5-3570K only has 4 cores and it is expensive too.

Hence, I am confused which is better for my work?
Kindly Reply,
Thanks

More about : amd intel

a b à CPUs
October 4, 2012 6:43:13 PM

There is no universal standard which determines x is better than y, there are circumstances where both can be better options over the other and instances of where they can be worse options.

So to limit the reply to as few paragraphs as possible, it is generally accepted that Intel delivers better performance, but this is not a constant. Some titles exploit this and Intel has a performance advantage, in other titles there is little between the two, so much the other factor of Price/Performance becomes relevant.

So I turn to your needs;

Rendering both chips are proficient at this so its difficult to actually choose one over the other, basically its much of a muchness so go with what suits your needs and budget better. This is generally the consensus with all productivity applications, in general where a FX 8XXX chip will run concurrent to a i7 in many regards.

Gaming, it is trite that in CPU bound games (mostly RTS, adventure RPG's) intel is better in that regard, while in GPU/CPU bound games the margin is not discernible enough to matter.

So the over used standard of price to performance becomes relevant, you can ascertain from benches whether a cheaper AMD setup is withing the margin of performance to a more expensive intel setup so as to make the P/P the deciding factor, or you can go with intel in which case is a good choice regardless.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2012 6:43:18 PM

I'd say core i5. It'll render faster from what I've seen.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2012 7:38:36 PM

^ Those are strictly encoding benches from a year ago. And while mere seconds would be moot for a one-off or occasional job, if the OP makes his living doing this professionally, then those seconds can add up to a big chunk of time when doing actual jobs, including make-or-break deadlines.

OP: You would do better to look at these benches, but comparing the FX8150 to an 8-thread i&-3770K, not the 4-thread 3570K: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/434?vs=551

In particular, 3dsmax shows the 3770K as anywhere from 16% faster to 120% faster render time, with a composite score of 35% higher. Cinebench R10 shows 75% single-threaded advantage and 27% mullti-threaded advantage. Photoshop shows 44% faster in retouch.

So if you are a professional and do this sort of work as a living, then pretty obvious what to buy.

Also, as a benefit, the 3770K shows better performance in all the games tested where CPU is the bottleneck :D ..
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2012 8:15:58 PM

If time was the big factor then a i7 3960 or Xeon would be more prevalent in that regard.

He asked about a 3570 but even if 3770 its roughly $150 more depending on the applications used the real difference is marginal enough between the two chips to bring price into factor, not that I don't concur the intel chips are faster, it is the sum of circumstances that play that may determine which is feasible user to user. User needs determine the option, in this regard a more higher end chip is more useful, I would certainly say a 3770 over a 3570
m
l
October 5, 2012 4:45:52 PM

sarinaide said:
There is no universal standard which determines x is better than y, there are circumstances where both can be better options over the other and instances of where they can be worse options.

So to limit the reply to as few paragraphs as possible, it is generally accepted that Intel delivers better performance, but this is not a constant. Some titles exploit this and Intel has a performance advantage, in other titles there is little between the two, so much the other factor of Price/Performance becomes relevant.

So I turn to your needs;

Rendering both chips are proficient at this so its difficult to actually choose one over the other, basically its much of a muchness so go with what suits your needs and budget better. This is generally the consensus with all productivity applications, in general where a FX 8XXX chip will run concurrent to a i7 in many regards.

Gaming, it is trite that in CPU bound games (mostly RTS, adventure RPG's) intel is better in that regard, while in GPU/CPU bound games the margin is not discernible enough to matter.

So the over used standard of price to performance becomes relevant, you can ascertain from benches whether a cheaper AMD setup is withing the margin of performance to a more expensive intel setup so as to make the P/P the deciding factor, or you can go with intel in which case is a good choice regardless.

Well i know that there is no standard that whether x is better or y.

This all getting more confused for me i know in some terms better AMD FX-8150 is better such as price n some other benchmarks. But the real confusion is for me which is good processor in terms of price and performance both. If i go for i5-3570K it costs me $219 and FX-8150 goes for $189.

Your reply says that you like both the processors and i know that both of them are extremely good. But what is your choice what do you feel which CPU is better in terms of my useability and regarding the performance for given applications?

m
l
a b à CPUs
October 5, 2012 4:59:26 PM

The 3570K, the $40 is not that steep a price to pay for the general all round performance, if you asked me by the time a FX8350 releases maybe it would change a bit but your better option is a 3570K on a Z77 platform.

If you are budget conscious wanting to save a few extra quid on CPU and Motherboard then the FX 8150 is a very good option.
m
l
October 5, 2012 5:09:31 PM

@fazerand @sarinaide

Definitely i7-3770k is better than both these CPU's but i am currently having a really tight budget.
That's why i have to chose between FX-8150 and i5-3570K. (i.e. between price and performance)
m
l
October 5, 2012 5:28:45 PM

Unless you need to buy now you should forget about the FX-8150 and wait for Piledriver based FX-chips or buy Intel.
m
l
October 6, 2012 3:09:52 PM

kettu said:
Unless you need to buy now you should forget about the FX-8150 and wait for Piledriver based FX-chips or buy Intel.

When are the Piledriver based FX-chips going to launch?
I can max wait for 2 months not more than that.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 6, 2012 4:56:22 PM

tahervohra said:
@fazerand @sarinaide

Definitely i7-3770k is better than both these CPU's but i am currently having a really tight budget.
That's why i have to chose between FX-8150 and i5-3570K. (i.e. between price and performance)

I got my 3770K at Microcenter for $280 during one of their virtually continuous "sales" :p , in case you live near one..

PD is supposed to debut around the end of this month, so the benchmarks should be out the same day the NDA lifts.
m
l
!