6230 bug: Alarm clock resets time/date

Last response: in Brands
June 11, 2004 3:05:01 AM

It happened twice already for my 6230:

1) Set alarm clock
2) Turn off phone
3) Alarm does not go on at preset time
4) Turn on the phone after the alarm preset time to check what is going on
5) Phone leads to the time/date setup screen, with date reset at 2004/01/01

How do I check the firmware version?

__________________________________________________________________ Ming-Hang
Chan ICQ#: 102686052 Current ICQ status: + More ways to contact me
June 11, 2004 3:05:02 AM

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 23:05:01 +0800, "Ellis Chan"
<minghang@netvigator.com> wrote:

>It happened twice already for my 6230:
>
>1) Set alarm clock
>2) Turn off phone
>3) Alarm does not go on at preset time
>4) Turn on the phone after the alarm preset time to check what is going on
>5) Phone leads to the time/date setup screen, with date reset at 2004/01/01
>
>How do I check the firmware version?

#*0000#

Latest is 3.17
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 3:05:03 AM

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 17:29:01 +0100, ƧØÞ <no.spam@nowhere.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 23:05:01 +0800, "Ellis Chan"
><minghang@netvigator.com> wrote:
>
>>It happened twice already for my 6230:
>>
>>1) Set alarm clock
>>2) Turn off phone
>>3) Alarm does not go on at preset time
>>4) Turn on the phone after the alarm preset time to check what is going on
>>5) Phone leads to the time/date setup screen, with date reset at 2004/01/01
>>
>>How do I check the firmware version?
>
>#*0000#
>
>Latest is 3.17

its *#0000#
Related resources
June 11, 2004 2:49:45 PM

You were charging the phone while it was off, right?

Sorry to tell you this, but your phone has a problem in the hardware. It's
not a software bug that resets the date and time of your phone. It's nothing
related to the firmware.
There seems to be a huge quantity of 6230's with this problem. I personally
think that probably ALL the first 6230's had this hardware fault. Many of
the phones which work (or perhaps all, and mine is one of these) bear clear
signs of post-production repair, probably under secret Nokia instructions I
think, into laboratories which were not sufficiently "professional" to do
the job without leaving traces. Then the repaired phones were sold in the
shops.
I am convinced that you, like many others, are one of those whose phone were
not "intercepted" for repair before being sold, so I stongly suggest you go
to the nearest Nokia service centre and get your phone serviced. Nokia
should know very well of this problem, although I doubt it will admit it.

P.S.: It seems that the 6230's are very hard to find in the shops... don't
you smell something? Just to think badly... could it be that they were are
recalled for being serviced even before being distributed?

P.S.2.: You can find a very interesting article about this subject here:
http://www.mobile-review.com/articles/2004/nokia6230-en...
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 10:59:59 PM

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:49:45 +0200, "Junior" <tropical@email.it>
wrote:

>You were charging the phone while it was off, right?
>
>Sorry to tell you this, but your phone has a problem in the hardware. It's
>not a software bug that resets the date and time of your phone. It's nothing
>related to the firmware.
>There seems to be a huge quantity of 6230's with this problem. I personally
>think that probably ALL the first 6230's had this hardware fault.

I bought my 6230 on the day of release a couple of months back. No
problems at all with the clock resetting. In fact I now use the phone
as my primary alarm clock since the alarm is really good (loud, but
comes in gradually).

[..]
>P.S.: It seems that the 6230's are very hard to find in the shops... don't
>you smell something?

Yep, a troll. Get back under your bridge.

Gav
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 11:48:25 PM

Gav wrote:
> Yep, a troll. Get back under your bridge.

EH? You're off your tree
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 11:48:26 PM

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 19:48:25 +0100, ":: Dazza ::" <Dazza@'net.com>
wrote:

>Gav wrote:
>> Yep, a troll. Get back under your bridge.
>>

>EH? You're off your tree

The person who's off his tree is the conspiracy theorist.

Gav
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 12:41:28 PM

No. The phone was not charging.

"Junior" <tropical@email.it> wrote in message
> You were charging the phone while it was off, right?
>
> Sorry to tell you this, but your phone has a problem in the hardware. It's
> not a software bug that resets the date and time of your phone. It's
nothing
> related to the firmware.
> There seems to be a huge quantity of 6230's with this problem. I
personally
> think that probably ALL the first 6230's had this hardware fault. Many of
> the phones which work (or perhaps all, and mine is one of these) bear
clear
> signs of post-production repair, probably under secret Nokia instructions
> think, into laboratories which were not sufficiently "professional" to do
> the job without leaving traces. Then the repaired phones were sold in the
> shops.
> I am convinced that you, like many others, are one of those whose phone
were
> not "intercepted" for repair before being sold, so I stongly suggest you
go
> to the nearest Nokia service centre and get your phone serviced. Nokia
> should know very well of this problem, although I doubt it will admit it.
>
> P.S.: It seems that the 6230's are very hard to find in the shops... don't
> you smell something? Just to think badly... could it be that they were are
> recalled for being serviced even before being distributed?
>
> P.S.2.: You can find a very interesting article about this subject here:
> http://www.mobile-review.com/articles/2004/nokia6230-en...

June 15, 2004 7:18:41 PM

"Gav" <gavs_usenet@mungedup.swissonline.ch.invalid> wrote in message
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:49:45 +0200, "Junior" <tropical@email.it>
> wrote:
>
> >You were charging the phone while it was off, right?
> >
> >Sorry to tell you this, but your phone has a problem in the hardware.
It's
> >not a software bug that resets the date and time of your phone. It's
nothing
> >related to the firmware.
> >There seems to be a huge quantity of 6230's with this problem. I
personally
> >think that probably ALL the first 6230's had this hardware fault.
>
> I bought my 6230 on the day of release a couple of months back.

Me too. Bought brand new in a shop 2 months ago, regularly imported and sold
by Nokia Italy (I live in this country). Well, it has much probably been
repaired before reaching the shop. The only part of the screen that can be
seen (by opening the sim compartment) is in fact brown coloured, whereas it
should be silver metal colour. Read the article I cited to understand what
I'm saying.

No
> problems at all with the clock resetting.

Neither I, have problems of this kind. In fact, my phone has been repaired
(much probably for THIS defect) before reaching the shop.

> In fact I now use the phone
> as my primary alarm clock since the alarm is really good (loud, but
> comes in gradually).

I've always used the phone as primary alarm clock, It is a must-feature for
me, and this is good on this field. I know how the alarmclock works, as
every owner of a 6230 I belive does. You don't need to explain.
However, how the alarmclock perfarms has absolutely nothing to do with the
issue of the date and time resetting...

> [..]
> >P.S.: It seems that the 6230's are very hard to find in the shops...
don't
> >you smell something?
>
> Yep, a troll. Get back under your bridge.

Do you work at Nokia's?

> Gav

Junior.
June 15, 2004 7:22:17 PM

> The person who's off his tree is the conspiracy theorist.

You are just lucky to have a phone that has no hardware problems, like me.
I would like to have heard your opinion if your phone had problems, like
those of many others...
!