Sign in with
Your question

Hybrid Computer Kit

Last response: in Systems
June 6, 2012 11:43:39 PM

Hello,

Hello,
I am desiring a desktop for the power, and a simple, light display which I could hold, driven by the desdtop - either via a cable attached to either or via Bluetooth...oh, and be touch sensitive. Kinda like a lighter, and more powerful AIO. Any suggestions? Thanks.

More about : hybrid computer kit

a c 113 B Homebuilt system
June 7, 2012 12:22:39 AM

You want a tablet sized touch screen display? Is that what you are asking for?
m
l
June 14, 2012 3:42:12 AM

As a display - yes - but as a computer - no. Too short on performance.
m
l
Related resources
June 14, 2012 6:44:36 AM

Well, that's possible. However, you won't be able to have a very large screen that way... too heavy to hold long.

The better screens aren't going to be very light. Like this Dell:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
14 pounds. And requires a separate USB cable, as most of them do.
Probably generates a lot of heat too.
m
l
June 14, 2012 10:29:06 PM

Proximon said:
Well, that's possible. However, you won't be able to have a very large screen that way... too heavy to hold long.

The better screens aren't going to be very light. Like this Dell:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
14 pounds. And requires a separate USB cable, as most of them do.
Probably generates a lot of heat too.

You seem to have an idea of the configuration I'm wanting. Even a display the size of a tablet which I can hold on my lap, but tethord(sp?) to a desktop via one or two cables. A powerful gaming laptop, perhaps with BlueRay and a HDMI port to feed my television. All that said, I guess that all I would need is a display that's both physically light and with a touch sensitive screen. Maybe the pcs are already out there...I'll scout around...your suggestions are welcome.
m
l
June 15, 2012 7:41:26 AM

The computer isn't an issue of course. Just the touchscreen. I just don't know anything that will fit your exact desires.

You can run something like Logmein from any Android tablet. This lets you remotely view the PC desktop and control the PC as if you were doing it directly... but there is response lag involved. It's probably not what you want.

There is an app called Unified remote that works with any Android device. it will let you control any program you set up for it, but does not present you with the Windows desktop.

Here is a small touch screen that would work, but look at the resolution:
http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Monster-Touch-10-inch-Touchs...

1024x600 ... so if you use that in mirrored mode with a larger screen the larger screen will have to display at that small resolution. Small displays mean small resolutions in this case, from what I can tell.

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 15, 2012 4:24:55 PM

Check out an iPad/Android app called pocketcloud. It's about 15 bucks, but allows you to remotely log into and remotely control a pc. Maybe that's something to consider.
m
l
!