2 network connections on 1 device - cause?

daveturnbull

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
I have a windows 7 install which is behaving a little oddly after startup.

The issue is that is creates two network 'connections' on the same device, one private, one public. This causes them to conflict and refuse ant traffic over the device. To fix, all I have to do is disable the adapter then re-enable it and the public connection disappears leaving just the private one - all good. However after every startup I am left with the two conflicting connections.

If it makes a difference, it's a Dell XPS and the connection is wired (on board card).

Anyone have any thoughts as to why this might be happening, and better still, how to fix it?

daveturnbull

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
There is, but it is disabled.

The screen that lists all network connections shows both a private (work) and public connections on device 'Local area connection' which is the wired port.

If the two connections were on different devices, I'd understand that, but they're not.

I thought it might be an IPv4 / IPv6 issue, but my investigations into that drew a blank.

daveturnbull

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
No VM software running, ipconfig /all looks the same before and after a release / renew.

Screenshot below may help to demonstrate the issue. The public connection vanishes after a release / renew, but windows insists on creating it every time the PC is booted.

adrian.gif

daveturnbull

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
Nope, no vpn. It's a fairly standard setup of a desktop pc plugged into a small office network that routes through a switch to a firewall to a cisco fibre end point. All other PC's on the network get their DHCP ok and can connect to the internet without issue.

Because the issue is resolved with an ipconfig /release & renew, I was thinking it may be related to the startup order of services somehow. Maybe the network card starts, gets an IP, then tries to apply it's 'remembered' settings? Could be a complete red herring tho as I'm not a windows expert.

Is there any kind of log I could supply that might help diagnose this? It's quite annoying to have to release / renew every time I turn on the PC.

G

Try flushing the DNS cache

in a command prompt window type

ipconfig /flushdns