Insert empty USB key

Hi,

I am inserting several blank USB keys into my computer as part of an
application - Win XP pro SP2.

I automatically get an Explorer window open entitled "Removable Disk
E:" pop up over the top of the application.

Does anyone know how to turn this off? I don't want to see anything
when I insert a blank key.

Thanks
Andrew
8 answers Last reply
More about insert empty

    I use a USB memory stick as a backup and also prefer not to have the pop up
    occur. I appreciate that it's easy to click on the file that I want to open
    but I'd rather open Word, Excel etc. and browse to the removable device and
    open the file from there. If there is a solution for Andrew's problem with
    the USB memory empty, I hope it would be applicable to me also when there
    are files on it.

    "Andrew" <azbij@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am inserting several blank USB keys into my computer as part of an
    > application - Win XP pro SP2.
    >
    > I automatically get an Explorer window open entitled "Removable Disk
    > E:" pop up over the top of the application.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to turn this off? I don't want to see anything
    > when I insert a blank key.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Andrew

    Hi Andrew,

    You can easily disable AutoPlay through TweakUI. Under TweakUI, navigate to
    My Computer/AutoPlay/Drives and uncheck the drive letter that is assigned to
    your USB memory key. This way, whenever you insert a USB memory key,
    AutoPlay would not run.

    Download TweakUI

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    http://www.mvps.org

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Andrew" <azbij@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am inserting several blank USB keys into my computer as part of an
    > application - Win XP pro SP2.
    >
    > I automatically get an Explorer window open entitled "Removable Disk
    > E:" pop up over the top of the application.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to turn this off? I don't want to see anything
    > when I insert a blank key.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Andrew

    Thanks very much Anando. There are a lot of useful tools on that page!

    Since I have to set up several machines with this, is it possible to
    make this change from the command line without installing TweakUI?
    does this setting equate to a registry change?

    thanks,
    Andrew

    I have TweakUI and use it but am keen to know the underlying changes that it
    makes to the system. If I didn't have TweakUI, how would I disable the USB
    Autorun feature? Is it a setting in the registry?

    "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Hi Andrew,
    >
    > You can easily disable AutoPlay through TweakUI. Under TweakUI, navigate
    > to My Computer/AutoPlay/Drives and uncheck the drive letter that is
    > assigned to your USB memory key. This way, whenever you insert a USB
    > memory key, AutoPlay would not run.
    >
    > Download TweakUI
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp
    >
    > --
    >
    > Anando
    > Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > http://www.mvps.org

    Hi Andrew,

    TweakUI does make a registry change and it is described very well in the
    following article:

    As usual, you should take extreme care while modifying the system registry
    since incorrectly doing so can render yoru system inoperable.

    --

    > Since I have to set up several machines with this, is it possible to
    > make this change from the command line without installing TweakUI?
    > does this setting equate to a registry change?
    >
    > thanks,
    > Andrew

    Hi Anando

    Thanks for the help. I know that I've "ridden" this question because it's a
    problem that I've faced too. I hope that it works for Andrew because it
    certainly worked for me.

    Glad to know that it worked for you !

    --

    "Tosca" <no-spam@thank-you.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Anando
    >
    > Thanks for the help. I know that I've "ridden" this question because it's
    > a problem that I've faced too. I hope that it works for Andrew because it
    > certainly worked for me.

Configuration USB Customization Windows XP