Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Digital slide sorter software?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
July 20, 2005 7:54:53 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Back when I was shooting 35mm slides I had a nifty little device with
rear lighting that would allow me to sort the slides whatever order I
preferred. I could use something like this for my digital pics! What
would be nice would be a program that would reduce a folder full of
pictures to thumbnails, then allow me to move them around using my
mouse. Once I had them in the right order, I'd then need the
capability to easily rename all the pictures so that they would remain
in the sorted order.

Does anyone know of such a program? A shareware or freeware program
would be preferred, of course! :) 

Bill(at)AA4M.Com
E-mail: Change "(at) to "@"
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 1:28:10 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Bill wrote:
> Back when I was shooting 35mm slides I had a nifty little device with
> rear lighting that would allow me to sort the slides whatever order I
> preferred. I could use something like this for my digital pics! What
> would be nice would be a program that would reduce a folder full of
> pictures to thumbnails, then allow me to move them around using my
> mouse. Once I had them in the right order, I'd then need the
> capability to easily rename all the pictures so that they would remain
> in the sorted order.
>
> Does anyone know of such a program? A shareware or freeware program
> would be preferred, of course! :) 
>
> Bill(at)AA4M.Com
> E-mail: Change "(at) to "@"


There are a whole bunch of photo sorting and management packages out
there now, most quite reasonably priced. They don't care whether the
image came from a slide, a print, or a digicam. An example is called
"Photo Album". Must be at least a dozen or so on market. Go to an
electronics store such as Best Buy and browse.
July 21, 2005 1:47:01 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:28:10 -0500, Don Stauffer
<stauffer@usfamily.net> wrote:

>There are a whole bunch of photo sorting and management packages out
>there now, most quite reasonably priced. They don't care whether the
>image came from a slide, a print, or a digicam. An example is called
>"Photo Album". Must be at least a dozen or so on market. Go to an
>electronics store such as Best Buy and browse.

I've been playing around with programs I've found on the net and found
that Irfanview does a very nice job with batch renames, and the price
is right! :)  This solves 1/2 of my problem. The other 1/2 is
dragging thumbnails around in folders to reorganize them. When I do
this in Irfanview I get a small "+" indicator, but then when I drop
the indicator nothing happens - I'll keep working on this . . .

- Bill
Related resources
July 22, 2005 6:48:25 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <phltd1pe7oic2907pegur7ic5nuol124jr@4ax.com>, NoSpam@NoSpam.Com
says...
>
>Back when I was shooting 35mm slides I had a nifty little device with
>rear lighting that would allow me to sort the slides whatever order I
>preferred. I could use something like this for my digital pics! What
>would be nice would be a program that would reduce a folder full of
>pictures to thumbnails, then allow me to move them around using my
>mouse. Once I had them in the right order, I'd then need the
>capability to easily rename all the pictures so that they would remain
>in the sorted order.
>
>Does anyone know of such a program? A shareware or freeware program
>would be preferred, of course! :) 
>
>Bill(at)AA4M.Com
>E-mail: Change "(at) to "@"

Yes, I had a room full of these, in mainly cabinet configurations with rows of
plastic strips for the slides, and a flat work area.

Now, to your problem. I use ThumbsPlus from www.cerious.com. It is shareware,
and I do not recall what the registration price is. I've had it since v2, and
they are up to about 8. It seems that it now costs me ~US$20 to upgrade. Even
though I have PS CS2 with the new Adobe Bridge, I still do most of my work
with ThumbsPlus. I can't brag about it too highly - really a time saver, and
it works very well, and simply.

Hunt
July 22, 2005 11:29:27 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Thanks to everyone for the tips! Since my original post I've
discovered that Irfanview will do everything I need, BUT it is tedious
doing so and definitely not user-friendly! I'll take a look at some
of the other suggested programs to see if I can find a better
alternative.

- Bill
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 3:44:08 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Hunt" <noone@hunt.com> wrote in message
news:D bpmpp713i7@news1.newsguy.com...
> In article <phltd1pe7oic2907pegur7ic5nuol124jr@4ax.com>, NoSpam@NoSpam.Com
> says...
> >
> >Back when I was shooting 35mm slides I had a nifty little device with
> >rear lighting that would allow me to sort the slides whatever order I
> >preferred. I could use something like this for my digital pics! What
> >would be nice would be a program that would reduce a folder full of
> >pictures to thumbnails, then allow me to move them around using my
> >mouse. Once I had them in the right order, I'd then need the
> >capability to easily rename all the pictures so that they would remain
> >in the sorted order.
> >
> >Does anyone know of such a program? A shareware or freeware program
> >would be preferred, of course! :) 

Imatch by www.photools.com allows to show thumbnails in "light table" mode.
Rearrange them as you like, then do a batch rename using a counter to freeze
your sequence.
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 2:44:57 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Bill wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:28:10 -0500, Don Stauffer
> <stauffer@usfamily.net> wrote:
>
>
>>There are a whole bunch of photo sorting and management packages out
>>there now, most quite reasonably priced. They don't care whether the
>>image came from a slide, a print, or a digicam. An example is called
>>"Photo Album". Must be at least a dozen or so on market. Go to an
>>electronics store such as Best Buy and browse.
>
>
> I've been playing around with programs I've found on the net and found
> that Irfanview does a very nice job with batch renames, and the price
> is right! :)  This solves 1/2 of my problem. The other 1/2 is
> dragging thumbnails around in folders to reorganize them. When I do
> this in Irfanview I get a small "+" indicator, but then when I drop
> the indicator nothing happens - I'll keep working on this . . .
>
> - Bill

I use the Irfanview for years. It is a good software for batch renaming.
But, I agree with Bill - drag-and-drop is a pain in the ass. Maybe new
versions.

--
Pea C
(ask me for the right e-mail address)
***
If I have seen farther it is because I have stood on the shoulder of giants.
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 3:31:43 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

> In article <phltd1pe7oic2907pegur7ic5nuol124jr@4ax.com>,
> NoSpam@NoSpam.Com says...
>>
>>Back when I was shooting 35mm slides I had a nifty little device with
>>rear lighting that would allow me to sort the slides whatever order I
>>preferred. I could use something like this for my digital pics! What
>>would be nice would be a program that would reduce a folder full of
>>pictures to thumbnails, then allow me to move them around using my
>>mouse. Once I had them in the right order, I'd then need the
>>capability to easily rename all the pictures so that they would remain
>>in the sorted order.
>>
>>Does anyone know of such a program? A shareware or freeware program
>>would be preferred, of course! :) 
>

MyAlbum does this. freeware at
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/myalbum/

Make an album with the pics you want to sort. sort them and batch rename
them if you want.

--
Onno Voors
!