Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First Build, need some advice

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 7, 2012 12:22:48 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP

Budget Range: 1000-1200

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming 75%, some coding, watching movies

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, speakers, monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg, amazon, not opposed to elsewhere

Country: US

Parts Preferences: no preference, whatever is best for my money

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments:Just looking for the best bang for my buck, plus let me know if I'm missing anything please

CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

MOBO - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU/MOBO combo - 349 combo, http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

OR MOBO - GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU/MOBO combo - 369 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

IS the mobo worth the extra $20?

CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU - Radeon HD 7870
http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graph...

HD - Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda 7200RPM 2 TB
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T3GRN2/ref=ox_sc_a...

SSD: Crucial 128 GB m4 - $125
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case: NOT SURE WHAT WILL FIT - please ADVICE

RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) - $47
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

DVD Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive - $18
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057FRTPW/ref=ox_sc_a...

I also might be outdated on the newest equipment, so make suggestions for all parts if necessary please.

More about : build advice

June 7, 2012 12:29:25 AM

both boards are about the same and have the same features. Your build looks great here. Another option for the video card is the msi 7870 hawk. the hawk looks good and is a great overclocker (world record)
m
0
l
Related resources
June 7, 2012 7:38:39 AM

Arlth said:
Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP

Budget Range: 1000-1200

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming 75%, some coding, watching movies

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, speakers, monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg, amazon, not opposed to elsewhere

Country: US

Parts Preferences: no preference, whatever is best for my money

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments:Just looking for the best bang for my buck, plus let me know if I'm missing anything please

CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

MOBO - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU/MOBO combo - 349 combo, http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

OR MOBO - GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU/MOBO combo - 369 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

IS the mobo worth the extra $20?

CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU - Radeon HD 7870
http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graph...

HD - Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda 7200RPM 2 TB
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T3GRN2/ref=ox_sc_a...

SSD: Crucial 128 GB m4 - $125
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case: NOT SURE WHAT WILL FIT - please ADVICE

RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) - $47
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

DVD Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive - $18
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057FRTPW/ref=ox_sc_a...

I also might be outdated on the newest equipment, so make suggestions for all parts if necessary please.


Drop the SSD for now if you have to or even drop to the 1TB version of that Seagate, but for $50 more than that 7870 you can get a GTX 670.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E... $400 - $430
GTX 670

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5818/nvidia-geforce-gtx-6... <----- GTX 670 review w/benchmarks

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006I2H0YS/ref=ox_sc_a... $76.81 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Corsair Carbide Series 300R Mid-Tower Gaming Case - CC-9011014-WW

http://www.corsair.com/carbide-series-300r-compact-pc-g... <----- another look at that case

or....

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=67326&vpn=THREE%20HUND... $59.99 Free Shipping
Antec Three Hundred Two Mid Tower Gaming Case 302 ATX 3X5.25 6X3.5INT No PS Front USB3.0 & Audio

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/asrock_z77_extreme... <----- Asrock Z77 extreme4 review w/benchmarks
m
0
l
June 7, 2012 7:42:21 AM

Why_Me said:
Drop the SSD for now if you have to, but for $50 more than that 7870 you can get a GTX 670.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E... $400 - $430
GTX 670

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5818/nvidia-geforce-gtx-6... <----- GTX 670 review w/benchmarks

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006I2H0YS/ref=ox_sc_a... $76.81 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Corsair Carbide Series 300R Mid-Tower Gaming Case - CC-9011014-WW

http://www.corsair.com/carbide-series-300r-compact-pc-g... <----- another look at that case

or....

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=67326&vpn=THREE%20HUND... $59.99 Free Shipping
Antec Three Hundred Two Mid Tower Gaming Case 302 ATX 3X5.25 6X3.5INT No PS Front USB3.0 & Audio
+1 it's good advice ;) 
m
0
l
June 7, 2012 7:48:44 AM

bigcyco1 said:
+1 it's good advice ;) 

It's going to get even worse imo for the 7870 when the GTX 660 is released in another month or two for $300. Kind of sucks because that 7870 is a good card and a better deal than the 7950 and now it's either going to have to drop in price big time or it's cooked.
m
0
l
June 7, 2012 8:00:36 AM

Ok so -

CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

MOBO - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU/MOBO combo - 349 combo, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Comb [...] mbo.975453


CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6835103099

GPU - GTX 679 - 409
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HD - Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda 7200RPM 2 TB
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B [...] PDKIKX0DER

SSD: Crucial 128 GB m4 - $125
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820148442

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R Mid-Tower Gaming Case - CC-9011014-WW - $77
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006I2H0YS/ref=ox_sc_a...

RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) - $47
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820231544

DVD Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive - $18
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B [...] PDKIKX0DER


Am I missing anything? and is the PSU enough to power the gtx 670 with everything else? plus fit in the case and be compatible?
m
0
l
June 7, 2012 8:04:18 AM

Arlth said:
Ok so -

CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

MOBO - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU/MOBO combo - 349 combo, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Comb [...] mbo.975453


CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6835103099

GPU - GTX 679 - 409
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HD - Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda 7200RPM 2 TB
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B [...] PDKIKX0DER

SSD: Crucial 128 GB m4 - $125
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820148442

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R Mid-Tower Gaming Case - CC-9011014-WW - $77
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006I2H0YS/ref=ox_sc_a...

RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) - $47
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820231544

DVD Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive - $18
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B [...] PDKIKX0DER


Am I missing anything? and is the PSU enough to power the gtx 670 with everything else? plus fit in the case and be compatible?

Everything looks great...but I don't see a psu in that build.
m
0
l
June 7, 2012 8:06:08 AM

I dont think I have a psu actually ya, can u suggest one?
m
0
l
June 7, 2012 8:14:25 AM

Arlth said:
I dont think I have a psu actually ya, can u suggest one?

http://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-Enthusiast-BRONZE-Certifi... $99.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX 12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply - CMPSU-750TXV2
m
0
l
June 7, 2012 8:23:06 AM

Arlth said:
I dont think I have a psu actually ya, can u suggest one?


What is the remaining budget for the PSU?

I would prefer the Corsair AX 650W rather than that TX 750W since you don't need more than 650W for a single video card set up, especially with that GTX 670 it has more than enough juice to run anything. It is afterall only about 5% slower than the top of the line GTX 680, which can be easily fixed with a simple overclock.

Corsair AX is made by Seasonic, gold rated in efficiency, completely modular -- easy for cable management and has highest quality
Corsair TX is made by CWT, bronze rated in efficiency, not modular and overall not as high quality as the AX.
m
0
l
June 7, 2012 8:23:31 AM

Ok, thanks! I'll get to buying tomorrow :) 
m
0
l
June 7, 2012 8:40:07 AM

Why_Me said:
It's going to get even worse imo for the 7870 when the GTX 660 is released in another month or two for $300. Kind of sucks because that 7870 is a good card and a better deal than the 7950 and now it's either going to have to drop in price big time or it's cooked.
I agree if they play it smart drop the price to about 250 they'll not lose to many sales at least i don't think so but i seriously doubt that will happen so i think the future sales for those cards won't be so good.
m
0
l
June 7, 2012 9:53:22 AM

jacknhut said:
What is the remaining budget for the PSU?

I would prefer the Corsair AX 650W rather than that TX 750W since you don't need more than 650W for a single video card set up, especially with that GTX 670 it has more than enough juice to run anything. It is afterall only about 5% slower than the top of the line GTX 680, which can be easily fixed with a simple overclock.

Corsair AX is made by Seasonic, gold rated in efficiency, completely modular -- easy for cable management and has highest quality
Corsair TX is made by CWT, bronze rated in efficiency, not modular and overall not as high quality as the AX.

Your not serious are you? The OP has a budget of $1000 - $1200, he wants the option to SLI that card later on and your suggesting a psu that cost $50 more and shorts the OP out of 100w of headroom?

Forget efficiency. If the OP leaves his PC on 24/7 365 days a year he might be lucky to save enough money in electricity with that $150 AX650 to buy himself a candy bar and coca cola at the end of the year.

@ the OP. That 750w Corsair I linked is also made by Seasonic and for $100 and free shipping it's a steal. That and your going to want that extra 100w of headroom vs saving a few nickles a year your electric bill.
m
0
l
June 7, 2012 9:56:13 AM

bigcyco1 said:
I agree if they play it smart drop the price to about 250 they'll not lose to many sales at least i don't think so but i seriously doubt that will happen so i think the future sales for those cards won't be so good.

If the 660 runs head to head with the 7870 I think they can get away with selling that card for $300. But where I don't see a market is for the 6950. That card is caught between the 670 and the 660 and when you o/c the 7870 it runs head to head with the 7950.
m
0
l
June 7, 2012 10:03:21 AM

Why_Me said:
If the 660 runs head to head with the 7870 I think they can get away with selling that card for $300. But where I don't see a market is for the 6950. That card is caught between the 670 and the 660 and when you o/c the 7870 it runs head to head with the 7950.
well i agree with that i guess i was assuming the 660 would preform better than a 7870 but now that i really think about it i think that might be wishful thinking on my part lol
m
0
l
June 7, 2012 10:58:39 AM

Why_Me said:
Your not serious are you? The OP has a budget of $1000 - $1200, he wants the option to SLI that card later on and your suggesting a psu that cost $50 more and shorts the OP out of 100w of headroom?

Forget efficiency. If the OP leaves his PC on 24/7 365 days a year he might be lucky to save enough money in electricity with that $150 AX650 to buy himself a candy bar and coca cola at the end of the year.

@ the OP. That 750w Corsair I linked is also made by Seasonic and for $100 and free shipping it's a steal. That and your going to want that extra 100w of headroom vs saving a few nickles a year your electric bill.


First of all, stop blowing things out of proportion. The AX 650W is $136 shipped, not $150. The AX 650W is more than just higher efficiency, its made of higher quality components which has longer lifepsan. In addition, AX 650W is completely modular and is essential for anyone who wants to do cable management inside the PC.

I did ask him the remaining budget to buy the PSU, if he has the extra 36 bucks, its better to get the AX 650W than the TX 750W. PSU is a vital componenet of the PC so I wouldn't skim on it.

And for the SLI capabilities, AX 650W can handle 2 GTX 670 just fine since it is of higher quality. The total system power consumption of an overclocked, power hungry Sandy Bridge E and a single GTX 670 when being overclocked to max doesn't exceed 360W according to this anandtech review
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5818/nvidia-geforce-gtx-6... .
Considering the O.P. will use only Ivy Bridge system which is a lot less power hungry, the total power usage at load would be even lower.

Since GTX 670 maximum power draw is limited by Nvidia to 170W total, adding a 2nd GTX 670 will only result in 360W + 170W = 530W, which leaves another 120W headrooms for other components. Also keep in mind that the test system in that Anandreview utilizes Sandy Bridge E i7 3960x overclocked to 4.3 Ghz, which consumes a lot more power than the Ivy Bridge counterpart. Therefore the O.P has nothing to worry about when he uses a less power hungry Ivy Bridge CPU in his system and even if he plans to SLI in the future, 650W would still be plenty.

m
0
l
June 7, 2012 4:50:25 PM

Alright final pass-

CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

MOBO - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU/MOBO combo - 349 combo, http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...


CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU - GTX 679 - 409
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU - Corsair AX 650w
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Professional-650-Watt-Cer...

HD - Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda 7200RPM 2 TB
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T3GRN2/ref=ox_sc_a...

SSD: Crucial 64 GB m4 - $85
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R Mid-Tower Gaming Case - CC-9011014-WW - $77
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006I2H0YS/ref=ox_sc_a...

RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) - $47
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

DVD Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive - $18
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057FRTPW/ref=ox_sc_a...
m
0
l
June 7, 2012 5:47:54 PM

the 128gb SSd is 20 bucks more. also, the 670 is kinda overkill for 1080p just saying
m
0
l
June 8, 2012 5:17:46 AM

azeem40 said:
Apparently, jack, you haven't read this review of the TX750 v2.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

It is a much better deal than the AX650 and actually provides enough headroom for two 670s. 650W is for 2 7850s.
+1 my cousin has TX750 v2. hes actually running x2 gtx670 in sli no problem what so ever ;) 
m
0
l
June 8, 2012 5:22:02 AM

Seems to be some confusion as to who makes which Corsair models so i will provide a list ;) The models made by Seasonic tend to be the quietest and best. AX-650 – Seasonic
AX-750 – Seasonic
AX-850 – Seasonic
AX-1200 – Flextronics
CX-400 – Seasonic
CX-430 – Channel Well(CWT)
CX-430 v2 – Channel Well(CWT)
CX-500 – Channel Well(CWT)
CX-500 v2 – Channel Well(CWT)
CX-600 – Channel Well(CWT)
CX-600 v2 – Channel Well(CWT)
Gaming Series GS600 – Channel Well(CWT)
Gaming Series GS700 – Channel Well(CWT)
Gaming Series GS800 – Channel Well(CWT)
HX-450 – Seasonic
HX-520 – Seasonic
HX-620 – Seasonic
HX-650 – Seasonic
HX-750 – Channel Well (CWT) (DSG platform)
HX-850 – Channel Well (CWT) (DSG platform)
HX-1000 – Channel Well (CWT)
HX-1050 – Channel Well (CWT)
TX-550M – Channel Well (CWT)
TX-650 – Seasonic
TX-650 v2 – Seasonic
TX-650M – Channel Well (CWT)
TX-750 – Channel Well (CWT) (PSH(older) platform)
TX-750 v2 – Seasonic
TX-750M – Channel Well (CWT)
TX-850 – Channel Well (CWT) (PSH(older) platform)
TX-850 v2 – Seasonic
TX-850M – Channel Well (CWT)
TX-950 – Channel Well (CWT) (DSG platform)
VX-450 – Seasonic
VX-550 – Channel Well (CWT) (PSH platform)
m
0
l
!