CPU cooling amd fx 8150

lxgoldsmith

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012
I am planning to build my first PC for my Christmas(and grades) present. I am not looking to game with it except for baldur's gate series and other older games. I hope to use amd fx 8150 because it was recommended to me by one of my experienced friends. I need to find a great cpu cooler.
here's what I have so far: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jm8w
Here's an Intel alternative:http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jmg5
I need a good fan for AMD 8 core that will fit in a mid-tower case

Solution
You mention multi-monitor multitasking, however, I would like to know the exact type of work you'll be doing on those monitors the majority of the time :)

If you're going to be working on Excel spreadsheets 90% of the time, then you won't feel a difference between an Intel Core i3 or an AMD FX-8150.

However, since you did mention CAD work, I would highly recommend one of AMD's FX-8XXX CPU's as they excel in multi-threaded work. They would make one heck of a budget workstation CPU.

I will mention this again, I would HIGHLY recommend waiting for the new AMD FX CPU's to be released later this month/later this year as they will give you an extra few % of performance that you may want :)
^ I would generally agree, however, if OP plans to use his rig for some heavy video editing or any heavily multi-threaded applications, the FX-8150 stacks up quite nicely :)

I would, however, recommend stepping down the FX-8120 due to the lower cost or get the FX-8320/8350 coming out later this month :)

lxgoldsmith

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012

I will need it for multitasking across multiple monitors, so I don't know about switching to Intel. I will also be doing occasional CAD, which leans me towards AMD. what's more important to me will be the "future proofing" I will need the cpu to be able to run for a long time, with an annual upgrade, such as RAM, SSD, and peripherals.

I might be going to go with Intel 3570k(moderately overclocked) for multiple monitor outputs. I will not go above $750 and will likely reduce my initial costs down below $700.

And NO INTEL FREAKS ON MY PAGE!

You mention multi-monitor multitasking, however, I would like to know the exact type of work you'll be doing on those monitors the majority of the time :)

If you're going to be working on Excel spreadsheets 90% of the time, then you won't feel a difference between an Intel Core i3 or an AMD FX-8150.

However, since you did mention CAD work, I would highly recommend one of AMD's FX-8XXX CPU's as they excel in multi-threaded work. They would make one heck of a budget workstation CPU.

I will mention this again, I would HIGHLY recommend waiting for the new AMD FX CPU's to be released later this month/later this year as they will give you an extra few % of performance that you may want :)

Solution

lxgoldsmith

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012
I will not be doing CAD often unless it may become necessary in college, which it probably won't. the occasional CAD I will be doing is on google sketchup for my high school class. I run google chrome browser, if that makes a difference for multitasking(it uses several lesser processes) will AMD really match up with intel for non-gaming?

For non-gaming purposes, yes, AMD has a chance alongside Intel as long as the work you're doing is heavily multi-threaded. Again, this really does depend on what you plan to do with your CPU :)

For single-threaded applications, Intel really shines, however, when you throw in heavy multi-tasking or Video Editing into the equation, AMD really does start to look like a viable option considering the price! :)

lxgoldsmith

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012
my real point in asking was that if I want an AMD processor on a moderate overclock, what level of cooling would I need. I am thinking of sticking with hyper 212 evo, but if liquid cooling will give a significant boost in cooling/performance, I could go for the h60 or 80

Well, getting back to your original question (I apogolise your thread has taken a very different direction), a Hyper 212 EVO will do just fine. If you were to invest in something that's $80 CPU-Cooler wise (such as the H80 you mentioned), I would HIGHLY recommend the Noctua NH-D14. It's the best CPU air-cooler you could purchase. It performs on-par with an H100 :)

lxgoldsmith

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012

thanks :) , haven't you answered some of my other questions too?