Opinion on Apple G5 Quad

cdpage

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2001
I'm asking this becasue i may be getting on in the near future at work.

I wonder, with the switch to intel chips. is this a good move? Buying the Quad set up that is.

I realise that Apple wouldn't release an intel Tower machine unless it were 'faster' then the current line up.

but there must be some cons to waiting for the Intel line up.

I just wonder if we should wait till then? ...and when would then be?

G5 line up

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
I've always found that if you really need a new computer now, there's really no reason to wait. The Quad G5 is a great computer and should be able to keep up with whatever Apple will use to replace it. It'll take a while for all the software to be fully optimized for the Intel chips anyways. Apples estimates for the performance benefits of the Core Duo iMac and MacBook Pro are overrated anyways. In the case of the iMac G5, you are trading 64-bit support for dual core support so it's doubtful you'll see that much of a performance increase, definitely not the 2x that Apple saids. The MacBook Pro improves better, but that's simply because the G4 was so outdated and slow clock speed and FSB-wise.

If you are going to wait for the Intel G5 tower replacement, you'll have to wait a while. The G5, being a top-end model will not be replaced by the Core Duo and will wait for Conroe. That means Q3 at the earliest. My concern with the G5 replacement is that Apple seems to have indicated that Conroe is the preferred choice. Now Conroe seems like a fast processor, but the thing is while it's dual core, it's only available in single processor systems. That means you'd be downgrading from a quad G5 to a dual core Conroe. It may not make much of a difference in the PC world since most applications are single threaded anyways, but multithreading has been around a long time for Macs so you'd probably notice the loss, especially if you are doing a lot of media work. Apple is probably hesitant to use Woodcrest because of the cost and having to use exclusive FB-DIMMs, but for a high-end product like a G5 tower replacement it would probably be worth it with the performance difference.

It's obviously up to you, but if Apple does stick with the dual core Conroe, the current quad G5 isn't a bad choice.

66scott

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
important thing is to see what software you will be using on the computer and make sure if there will be an intel-coded version of the mac software. There will a change-over period from powerPC to Intel written software

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
at work? if you really need this kind of power for work, then the only reason i could possibly imagine holding anybody back is the processing of changing itself. if that isn't a problem, then there is no reason why a business would want to consider what will be coming out a year from now if it needs a computing solution today. that said, the quad is a dream.

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
I'm asking this becasue i may be getting on in the near future at work.

I wonder, with the switch to intel chips. is this a good move? Buying the Quad set up that is.

I realise that Apple wouldn't release an intel Tower machine unless it were 'faster' then the current line up.

but there must be some cons to waiting for the Intel line up.

I just wonder if we should wait till then? ...and when would then be?

G5 line up
I really don´t know what kind of work u're into, but those are greate machines.
Well, if you have the money go for it, but a dual processoar G5 will do everithing u need (not the dual core ones, I haven´t tested any yet). If u're lucky maybe u can find used one for sale, but hey, once u have a G5, u won´t change it for anything.

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
http://www.wimp.com/macs/

...this says it all
Congrats!
We are all tired of non based comments like these. He´s complainting on what? Sent an .exe to the trash and unninstaled it? If he wasn´t so stupid, he would have known that....
Have u ever edited video, sound or pictureson a mac? So, post in other threads please.

Yeah, and if you actually buy all that memory from Apple, I have some nice swampland in Florida to sell you.

16GB of DDR2-533 should cost about $2400 (each 2GB DIMM is about $300, and you need 8 of them.) If you really want registered memory, Crucial has the modules for $445 each, for a total of $3560.

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Yeah, and if you actually buy all that memory from Apple, I have some nice swampland in Florida to sell you.

16GB of DDR2-533 should cost about $2400 (each 2GB DIMM is about $300, and you need 8 of them.) If you really want registered memory, Crucial has the modules for $445 each, for a total of $3560.

Who said U need those? My €70 per gig twinmos do the job just fine.
And who said ddr2? Just the new ones use it.

G

Yes, I have a quad G5 at work with 16GB that we added for about $3500 using "non-apple" DDR2. Pleny of places on the web to buy from and works great.

The Quad G5 is the only "consumer" system out there now that can address the full 16GB, which is an awesome feat. We do speech coding research and fully ulitize that memory; trying to do what we do on a machine with 8GB or 4GB would kill us with swapping.

As for the Apple switch to intel, don't let that hold you back. It will take a few years for apps to be ported over to intel binaries and in the meantime (and then after) you'll have full PPC support. Apple's "universal binary" initiative ensures that this will be the case.

Hex

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004

...this says it all
Congrats!
We are all tired of non based comments like these. He´s complainting on what? Sent an .exe to the trash and unninstaled it? If he wasn´t so stupid, he would have known that....
Have u ever edited video, sound or pictureson a mac? So, post in other threads please.

Oh no, please save the congrats to yourself. Why??...because, ironically enough, the title of this thread is "Opinion on Apple G5 Quad", and I have voiced my opinion. So, congratulations dumbass! :D

P.S. Crash Different!

G

Oh no, please save the congrats to yourself. Why??...because, ironically enough, the title of this thread is "Opinion on Apple G5 Quad", and I have voiced my opinion. So, congratulations dumbass! :D

P.S. Crash Different!

Well unfortunately he's right. In fact, if it were up to him the title of the thread would be "Dumbass x86 Fanboi Opinions on Apple G5 Quad".

Thanks for contributing so much to this thread. What's your opinion on world hunger?

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006

...this says it all
Congrats!

P.S. Crash Different!
OK, I may be dumbass, but you're dumbass^2. If I remember, in the video the man was smashing a G3....I didn´t know that were quad core G3s...

cdpage

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2001
ltcommander_data -
I'll be changing departments in a month or so. Switching from PC to Mac.
They purchase for when i start. I simply had my reservations about buying too soon if the Intel Versions were right around the corner. (apperently they're not)

This is a Pie in th sky purchase, and i may end up with a dual G5 and not the Quad.

Wusy -
...do you think that there will be one mroe release of PPC before they switch?

Caboose-1 -
I love that Fact too.. but i'll never use 16GB Ram... we will be putting in 4 or 8 though.

66scott -
I'll be using Adobe and Marcomedia Products mostly. so im pretty safe there.

I know what your say, but like i was saying to ltcommander_data I won't be moving to the department for a month or so. The only reason i would consider waiting is becasue i have a machine already.

PMR -
Honestly for the most part this machine will be over kill, for now, but is ment to last me a few years. I work with Photoshop file that are about 1 GB, and Illustrator files that are usually a couple 100 MB...and have more then one of these files on the go at the same time.

Hex -
Haha, yea, i have seen that a million times... much of it i know all to well.

...doesn't say too much for M$ then to say that im looking forward to going back to the Mac again does it.

MU_Engineer -
no thanks i don't need any Swampland... i here its going to be completely submerged in a couple years anyway but thanks.

Kraster -
MU_Engineer -
PMR -
Do you have any links to places in Canada that sell Ram at a good price? we'll be buying 2 or 3 of these beast, each with 2-8GB Ram

wusy -
your encouraging them... :evil:

I get my stuff from Zipzoomfly and Newegg. But I am in the U.S., not sure if they ship to Canada. I could not find if they did or didn't ship there on their websites, so I'd give them a call or e-mail.

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Regarding the dual cpu ones, I have to say that I've never worked in a better machine than a mac. Photoshop runs with no flaws and at a tremendous speed with heavy images and filters. I never tried the dual core ones or even the top of the line with two dual core cpus. But hey, if those weren´t best, mac woulnd´t stop selling the older ones. (I think) But I would really go to the Quad one.
As for the memory, I can´t help, I live in Europe.

Ratbait

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006

...this says it all

I totally agree with this video, I work on Power PC, G4 and G5 (dual procs) and I have had tbe same things AND more happen. Yet in the end what did he edit the piece on? A Mac of course.

Its like the Mac was made for people who are afraid to open up the lid and "experiment"(thats why you need to kick them). It is also why if you go to any Mac store, they all look alike, people who don't know a ram chip from a corn chip. And they don't want to know the difference either. They consider owning a Mac a clout thing after all it costs alot more than a PC. And after all if they can sell flash memory units for $300, who am I to say you can get a better mp3 flash in Walmart for under $100.

emogoch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
There might be one more released upgrade to the G5 towers between now and the switch to Intel, but it won't be any form of substantial increase. Just a small processor bump. And probably won't happen till the end of the summer, if it does occur.

As other's have said, the previous roadmaps for Apple put the complete conversion of their systems to Intel processors in June 2007. However, since the G5 Towers and iBooks are the only systems not converted at this point and the conversion wasn't suppose to start until this June, shortly after the release of Conroe would be a fairer estimate. However, if you read up on the news from software developers, their released of Universal binaries is going pretty slowly. I think Adobe is the worst offender of them all. No excuse that they don't have any form of estimate as to when the Photoshop binary will be ready (I can understand them not having it ready yet, since who does serious photoshop work on an iMac or AlBook).

As for buying RAM, prices are pretty stable these days, with little variation between retailers. No idea what your physical location is, but some of my favourite Canadian store are www.infonec.com, www.canadacomputers.com, www.vibecomputers.com, and www.logiccomputerhouse.com. All but Vibe also have physical locations in the GTA.