Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

HELP PLEASE! ! MONITOR KEEPS GOING TO SLEEP EVERYTIME I PLAY A GAME

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 9, 2012 2:24:19 AM

My monitor keeps going to sleep or shutting down. The color of the power button of the monitor turns orange. MY Computer power button color is still white/ON. But my audio, it keeps repeating the sound of the last sound it made before the monitor went to sleep.

Here is some info about my computer.

Model: Dell Studio XPS 8000
Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU 860 @2.80 GHz
Installed Memory(RAM): 8.00 GB
System Type:64-bit operating system

Name: NVIDIA GeForce GTS240
Chip Type: GeForce GTS 240
DAC TYPE: Integrated RAMDAC
Total Memory: 4069 MB
Display Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 Bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor

I updated everything. I updated my drivers as well.

Also my PSU is running @ 390W.

PLEASE HELP ME! I CLEANED THE INSIDE OF MY COMPUTER WITH COMPRESSED AIR. I CLEANED THE FANS, THE FAN FOR MY GRAPHICS CARD, AND REMOVED THE DUST!

Thank you!
April 9, 2012 3:50:56 AM

There is a small possbility you may have to roll back a driver. Try that to see if it helps. Do you think you maybe could have shorted something on the motherboard while you were dusting with the compressed air? In other words, did you touch your components with one hand while using the compressed air with the other hand? Also, the power supply seems to be on the small side (but it's the stock one that came with the PC isn't it, so it should be adequate for the hardware you have). Do you have another power supply you can try out?
m
0
l
April 9, 2012 5:38:25 PM

390W your psu is quite weak
m
0
l
Related resources
April 9, 2012 5:42:25 PM

If your monitor is sleeping while you're playing a game, you're obviously not fragging hard enough to keep it's attention. Frag harder, and remember: If you're not cheating, you're not trying hard enough.
m
0
l
April 9, 2012 6:29:11 PM

andydork5 said:


Name: NVIDIA GeForce GTS240
Chip Type: GeForce GTS 240
DAC TYPE: Integrated RAMDAC
Total Memory: 4069 MB
Display Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 Bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor




This might be your problem what size monitor are you using? I had a similar problem with tvs and my ps3 going from a 720p tv to a 1080p tv. When you switch to a resolution that is not supported the tv just turns off. So my guess is that your monitor does not support the resolution the game is trying to display. Also try raising your desktop resolution higher and see what happens if the screen goes black and the monitor goes to sleep you have found the problem. (it should revert to the last working resolution if you don't accept in 30 seconds)
m
0
l
April 10, 2012 4:29:52 PM

monopolyguy said:
This might be your problem what size monitor are you using? I had a similar problem with tvs and my ps3 going from a 720p tv to a 1080p tv. When you switch to a resolution that is not supported the tv just turns off. So my guess is that your monitor does not support the resolution the game is trying to display. Also try raising your desktop resolution higher and see what happens if the screen goes black and the monitor goes to sleep you have found the problem. (it should revert to the last working resolution if you don't accept in 30 seconds)


I checked and it is at its highest resolution.
It says 1366x768(native)
what does it mean by native?
m
0
l
April 10, 2012 5:32:40 PM

andydork5 said:
I checked and it is at its highest resolution.
It says 1366x768(native)
what does it mean by native?


native means that is what your monitor was made to support try lowering the resolution then booting the games that are giving you problems as for the sound problem that still has me stumped if lowering the resolution doesnt work try rolling back the graphics driver as someone said before.
m
0
l
April 10, 2012 11:31:40 PM

If the sound repeats as well it sounds like the system is locking up. Try each stick of ram by itself. What you're looking for is if one sticks of memory has issues even by itself. Random lock ups is most commonly caused by memory. Check what temperature the video card is getting too as well it shouldn’t get over 90c if under load. A utility called gpuz will let you read gpu temp.
m
0
l
August 23, 2012 4:48:29 PM

this seems to happen to everyone who got a desktop dell xps studio. mine's a 8100.

it may be related to gts 240 stress and temperature... if you have 2 monitors, the chances are youre getting this problem. i have 2 monitors and it happens to me. everyone else i read has 2 monitors...

i got new power supply just to be safe (got a 500w) but the problem is still there.

having swapped a hd (the original was so cheap and known to be having problems worlwide), a new power supply (the original was not that powerfull) and now it seens i will be swapping the video card... unless nvidia has something to fix it. their forums are offline since 2012 july...

m
0
l
!