Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can't connect to internet

Last response: in Networking
June 15, 2011 1:37:34 PM

re-installed windows XP. Had a bit of trouble installing internet connection (system didn't recognize the ethernet and therefore used the USB connention) From there was able to install cable security suite for virus protection, download updates and fix the monitor's resolution. Thought I was all set until I turned computer back on and the updates installed windows service pack 3. Now I can not get it to recognize the internet connection. I tried re-inatlling the odem software which always gets to the last point and then can not connect. Says to check cables or network connection. I am stumped.

More about : connect internet

June 17, 2011 9:19:32 AM

Find out the model of your mobo or network card and download the driver for it so you are connect using ethernet is going to be much easier to sort through all of these usb driver issue.
m
l

Best solution

June 17, 2011 3:03:42 PM

If you are using ethernet you should not need to run any setup software for the modem. Make sure your network card is working (link lights, no errors in device manager), turn off the PC, turn off the modem. Unplug the USB cable, plug in the ethernet cable. Turn on the modem, wait a few minutes, turn on the PC. Should be working after that. If not, you may need to do a full reset on the modem, can check with the manual or the ISP for how to do that.
Related resources
June 27, 2011 2:32:53 PM

Thanks for the help. I got it to work once but it has become a reoccuring problem everytime I turn on the computer. I know there is a setting off somewhere and just have to find it. I also noticed that there is no sound. I intend to take one step back and get the drivers for my model off the internet and hope for the best.
Thanks again.
m
l
June 27, 2011 2:33:24 PM

Best answer selected by sx61.
m
l
June 27, 2011 2:35:04 PM

sx61 said:
Thanks for the help. I got it to work once but it has become a reoccuring problem everytime I turn on the computer. I know there is a setting off somewhere and just have to find it. I also noticed that there is no sound. I intend to take one step back and get the drivers for my model off the internet and hope for the best.
Thanks again.

Of course you need the drivers, get all of them, chipset, network, audio, video, etc...

Drivers are what makes your hardware run. It's like building a plane, testing it and it does not fly. So you say "OK, I guess I'll add the wings now".
m
l
!