  • Fax
  • Customization
  • Windows XP
January 26, 2005 12:53:01 PM

I would like to place a shortcut on my desktop for this program. I have
looked under programs, windows, and used the search feature to try and find
the application. Can't find it. How do I find it in order to make a
shortcut?

More about : windows picture fax viewer

Anonymous
January 26, 2005 3:03:28 PM

"linco" <linco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 9AD4899-411B-4790-95AC-BCB685EBAA85@microsoft.com...
| I would like to place a shortcut on my desktop for this program. I have
| looked under programs, windows, and used the search feature to try and
find
| the application. Can't find it. How do I find it in order to make a
| shortcut?

You can't do it; it's not directly executable. Even if you could do it, what
would you do once you opened it?
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 3:03:29 PM

I have a Kodak camera that wants to automatically open the Kodak software to
download or view pictures on the camera. I know how to get around this, but
my husband doesn't. I wanted to make it easy for him to view the pictures
using the viewer rather than a work around procedure.

"Raymond J. Johnson Jr." wrote:

> "linco" <linco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 9AD4899-411B-4790-95AC-BCB685EBAA85@microsoft.com...
> | I would like to place a shortcut on my desktop for this program. I have
> | looked under programs, windows, and used the search feature to try and
> find
> | the application. Can't find it. How do I find it in order to make a
> | shortcut?
>
> You can't do it; it's not directly executable. Even if you could do it, what
> would you do once you opened it?

January 26, 2005 3:44:29 PM

| I have a Kodak camera that wants to automatically open the Kodak software
| download or view pictures on the camera. I know how to get around this,
but
| my husband doesn't. I wanted to make it easy for him to view the pictures
| using the viewer rather than a work around procedure.
|
| "Raymond J. Johnson Jr." wrote:
|
| > "linco" <linco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > news:D 9AD4899-411B-4790-95AC-BCB685EBAA85@microsoft.com...
| > | I would like to place a shortcut on my desktop for this program. I
have
| > | looked under programs, windows, and used the search feature to try and
| > find
| > | the application. Can't find it. How do I find it in order to make a
| > | shortcut?
| >
| > You can't do it; it's not directly executable. Even if you could do it,
what
| > would you do once you opened it?

There are two easy solutions. You can get a card reader, which will obviate
the need for attaching the camera to the computer, or you can get a new
husband. Actually, you can do both.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 10:23:18 PM

Hi,

You might want to download and run the following edit:

Restore Picture and fax viewer (line 80, left column)

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
http://www.mvps.org

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"linco" <linco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 9AD4899-411B-4790-95AC-BCB685EBAA85@microsoft.com...
>I would like to place a shortcut on my desktop for this program. I have
> looked under programs, windows, and used the search feature to try and
> find
> the application. Can't find it. How do I find it in order to make a
> shortcut?
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 12:01:21 PM

Hi Linco,

Navigate to one of the pictures created with your camera and rightclick the
icon, select "open with" then select "select program from list". Scroll down
to "Windows picture and fax viewer" and ensure that the "Always use selected
program...." box is checked. This should solve your problem.

Andy

"linco" <linco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 9AD4899-411B-4790-95AC-BCB685EBAA85@microsoft.com...
> I would like to place a shortcut on my desktop for this program. I have
> looked under programs, windows, and used the search feature to try and
find
> the application. Can't find it. How do I find it in order to make a
> shortcut?
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 5:41:04 PM

Hi Linco,

It's powered by a DLL (Shimgvw.dll) and the Picture and Fax viewer is a
function within that DLL file, which the Rundll32.exe executes. The
parameter would be:

rundll32.exe shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %1

Example:
rundll32.exe shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen C:\Test.jpg

So, you won't find this shortcut anywhere in the Start Menu. Secondly, the
Picture and Fax Viewer does not have a menu. Say you can launch it's user
interface by typing "rundll32.exe shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen", but
can't open files from that interface.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User