Using Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D with Nikon D70 DSLR

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 21, 2005 12:42:34 AM

I have a Nikon D70 with the "kit" lens and am considering buying a Nikon AF
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D lens. Are there ANY features on the D70 that will not
work with this lens? Also, the kit lens on the D70 does not have a
mechanical aperature ring. Will the D70 work any differently with the 50mm
lens since it does have a mechanical aperature ring? Any thoughts on the
D70 with this lens is appreciated. Thanks. xtx99@aol.com
July 21, 2005 3:19:53 AM

I have the 50mm f/1.8D and a D70, and no, I cannot think of any feature that
does not work with that lens (it is a nice portrait lens). As for the
aperture ring, you do what you've always done on any of their AF cameras
(film or digital) and set it to its minimum (highest number) aperture and
lock it there.

George

<xtx99@aol.com> wrote in message
news:D 0f19$42deef7b$d1cc7ad9$1687@snip.allthenewsgroups.com...
>I have a Nikon D70 with the "kit" lens and am considering buying a Nikon AF
>Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D lens. Are there ANY features on the D70 that will not
>work with this lens? Also, the kit lens on the D70 does not have a
>mechanical aperature ring. Will the D70 work any differently with the 50mm
>lens since it does have a mechanical aperature ring? Any thoughts on the
>D70 with this lens is appreciated. Thanks. xtx99@aol.com

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 4:03:22 AM

Thanks for the reponse. I assume then that the aperature with this lens can
not be set on the D70 but instead only on the lens itself. Have you had any
problems with dust on the D70 while changing lenses? I'm paranoid about
dust after reading about dust problems with the D70. Thanks again for your
reponse.

"george" <nowhere@newsonly.com> wrote in message
>I have the 50mm f/1.8D and a D70, and no, I cannot think of any feature
>that does not work with that lens (it is a nice portrait lens). As for the
>aperture ring, you do what you've always done on any of their AF cameras
>(film or digital) and set it to its minimum (highest number) aperture and
>lock it there.
>
> George
>
> <xtx99@aol.com> wrote in message
> news:D 0f19$42deef7b$d1cc7ad9$1687@snip.allthenewsgroups.com...
>>I have a Nikon D70 with the "kit" lens and am considering buying a Nikon
>>AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D lens. Are there ANY features on the D70 that will
>>not work with this lens? Also, the kit lens on the D70 does not have a
>>mechanical aperature ring. Will the D70 work any differently with the
>>50mm lens since it does have a mechanical aperature ring? Any thoughts on
>>the D70 with this lens is appreciated. Thanks. xtx99@aol.com

Related resources
July 21, 2005 2:07:36 PM

<xtx99@aol.com> wrote in message
news:D 0f19$42deef7b$d1cc7ad9$1687@snip.allthenewsgroups.com...
>I have a Nikon D70 with the "kit" lens and am considering buying a Nikon AF
>Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D lens. Are there ANY features on the D70 that will not
>work with this lens? Also, the kit lens on the D70 does not have a
>mechanical aperature ring. Will the D70 work any differently with the 50mm
>lens since it does have a mechanical aperature ring? Any thoughts on the
>D70 with this lens is appreciated. Thanks. xtx99@aol.com

Get it. It's cheap and top quality glass. It should work with no problems.
Just put the aperture to the smallest and lock it in place.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 4:06:53 PM

> I assume then that the aperature with this lens can
> not be set on the D70 but instead only on the lens itself.

No. You must set the aperture to F22 and press a small locking button. Then
the aperture is controlled by the camera, the exact same way as the 18-70
kit lens is controlled. For ex if you set the D70 in Aperture Priority or
manual, you will controll the aperture by the front camera wheel.

The kit lens have an internal very fast motor for AF. The normal 50mm have
not, so it uses the motor that is in the camera and for that reason it
focuses slower (but not slow). Anyway, cause of his big aperture, it focuses
very accurately. I like this lens. If you use it for portraits you can use
it wide open. Otherwise it is very sharp from F4 to F11 (at least)

> problems with dust on the D70 while changing lenses? I'm paranoid about
> dust after reading about dust problems with the D70.

I was also when I had only one lens. Now I have 4 and I may change the lens
tenths of times every day. I only take care not to change lens in dusty
surround and be fast and when I can, I prefer to keep the D70 openning face
down. I had many times dust in the sensor, but till now, it was very easy
cleaned by air only.
--
Dimitris M
July 21, 2005 8:36:29 PM

xtx99@aol.com wrote:

> Thanks for the reponse. I assume then that the aperature with this lens can
> not be set on the D70 but instead only on the lens itself. Have you had any
> problems with dust on the D70 while changing lenses? I'm paranoid about
> dust after reading about dust problems with the D70. Thanks again for your
> reponse.

Other way around - you set the aperture on any "D" type lens via the
aperture ring to minimum (highest f-stop). Then you set the aperture
with the camera dial as normal. It will come up with the FEE message if
the aperture is not on the highest stop.
I change lenses frequently. Dust is not a huge problem. Point the
camera down when changing lenses. Cleaning the sensor yourself is not
that difficult. Don't get too paranoid about the odd spot visible in a
test shot taken at f22. Unless the dust spots are big, they will most
likely have no effect on your images taken at normal f-stops. I have
cleaned my sensor filter twice using this method:
http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning
July 22, 2005 4:46:09 AM

<xtx99@aol.com> wrote in message
news:D 96f6$42df1e93$d1cc7c70$16319@snip.allthenewsgroups.com...
> Thanks for the reponse. I assume then that the aperature with this lens
> can not be set on the D70 but instead only on the lens itself. Have you
> had any problems with dust on the D70 while changing lenses? I'm paranoid
> about dust after reading about dust problems with the D70. Thanks again
> for your reponse.

No, the camera controls the aperture just as it does with any G series lens.
You just set the lens to its minimum aperture (largest number) and lock it
there. The reason for this is because when you set the minimum aperture you
set the RANGE of apertures that the camera can choose and set...remember
that it has "auto" aperture which means you view and focus at full, maximum
aperture and the camera stops the lens down just as it is taking the
photo...if you had the aperture dial on the lens set to, say, f/8.0 the
camera would only have the range from f/1.8-f/8.0 available and it "knows"
(via the chip in the lens) that it should have more available to it so the
camera displays an error.

George
July 22, 2005 6:43:20 AM

In article <d96f6$42df1e93$d1cc7c70$16319@snip.allthenewsgroups.com>, xtx99
@aol.com says...

>Thanks for the reponse. I assume then that the aperature with this lens can
>not be set on the D70 but instead only on the lens itself. Have you had any
>problems with dust on the D70 while changing lenses? I'm paranoid about
>dust after reading about dust problems with the D70. Thanks again for your
>reponse.
>
>"george" <nowhere@newsonly.com> wrote in message
>>I have the 50mm f/1.8D and a D70, and no, I cannot think of any feature
>>that does not work with that lens (it is a nice portrait lens). As for the
>>aperture ring, you do what you've always done on any of their AF cameras
>>(film or digital) and set it to its minimum (highest number) aperture and
>>lock it there.
[SNIP]

Yes, there are always dust, floater problems, especially with digital. I had
to retouch out a tiny, irregular dust speck from 80+ images (damned!), but it
is a fact of life. Be careful, and use compressed air carefully, very
carefully.

Don't know the 50 F/1.8, but most AF lenses have an aperture ring that will
lock at the minimum aperture. Set that, as others have said, then use the
aperture wheel on the D70, when set to M, S, or A (front wheel- I don't have
the camera at hand, and it's not yet embedded in my memory, as are my F4's).

Hunt
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 8:12:10 AM

<xtx99@aol.com> wrote in message
news:D 96f6$42df1e93$d1cc7c70$16319@snip.allthenewsgroups.com...

> Thanks for the reponse. I assume then that the aperature with this lens
> can not be set on the D70 but instead only on the lens itself.

No, it's the other way around. You should leave the aperture locked at
minimum all the time and then you can set it from the camera.
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 10:27:44 PM

xtx99@aol.com wrote:

>I have a Nikon D70 with the "kit" lens and am considering buying a Nikon AF
>Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D lens.

>Any thoughts on the
>D70 with this lens is appreciated. Thanks. xtx99@aol.com

The f1.8 makes it good for low light, but the D70 has trouble
focussing it in low light (I find). I think it's a bit better
when using the centre focus point than other ones, but it does
hunt a lot. I don't know whether the f1.4 is better, but for
the price it's not a major bugbear.

--
Ken Tough
Anonymous

> The f1.8 makes it good for low light, but the D70 has trouble
> focussing it in low light (I find).

My D70 with the kit lens and the focus aid light can focus well and fast as
expected, even in total dark, if a subject with contrast found in the first
4-5 meters. With the 50/1,8 it can focus even better cause of the brighter
lens, just a little slower.

If I have the SB600 flash on D70, it can focus perfectly, even in a white
wall in 10m.

So, if you have problem with this 50/1.8 lens, it may be a problem with your
lens or your camera.
--
Dimitris M
Anonymous

Dimitris M <nospam@ath.forthnet.gr> wrote:

>> The f1.8 makes it good for low light, but the D70 has trouble
>> focussing it in low light (I find).
>
>My D70 with the kit lens and the focus aid light can focus well and fast as
>expected, even in total dark, if a subject with contrast found in the first
>4-5 meters. With the 50/1,8 it can focus even better cause of the brighter
>lens, just a little slower.
>
>If I have the SB600 flash on D70, it can focus perfectly, even in a white
>wall in 10m.
>
>So, if you have problem with this 50/1.8 lens, it may be a problem with your
>lens or your camera.

I often tend to shoot on one of the focus areas away from the centre,
in which case the AF assist light doesn't come on. With the light,
indeed it does focus much better.

--
Ken Tough
Anonymous

> I often tend to shoot on one of the focus areas away from the centre,
> in which case the AF assist light doesn't come on. With the light,
> indeed it does focus much better.

I have lock my AF spot in the middle, so that explains this difference. I
prefer the middle, cause I use to prerfocus in selected objects.
--
Dimitris M dioltt@ath.forthnet.gr
(áöáéñÝóôå ôï äéðëü ôÜö áðï ôçí äéåýèõíóç)