Sign in with
Your question

Thoughts on the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti in a newly built system?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 9, 2012 3:12:53 AM

I just built my first computer as discussed here.

It has Corsair Obsidian 650D case, an MSI 768A-GD55 (G3) motherboard, a Pentium G620, Corsair Vengence 8GB RAM, a SAMSUNG 830 Series 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) and a Corsair TX750 PSU.

It seems that I won't be able to make the integrated graphics work as well as I'd hoped because Intel hasn't released drivers for Windows 8. So I'm thinking about going forward and getting a graphics card now, so I can actually use HDMI and proper drivers.

I'm thinking about getting the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1 GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 DVI-I x 2 / Mini-HDMI SLI Ready Graphics Card, GV-N560OC-1GI. I'm trying to find out if this is a good value and compatible with my setup. I'm also wondering if I'll be able to get another card and use SLI if I want to upgrade in the future. This might seem like a bit much given my processor, but I'm planning to upgrade to a much better processor when Ivy Bridge comes out. I'm also assuming this is much better than the integrated graphics I'm using now. I find it a little weird that video card at this price point only comes with a mini-HDMI rather than regular, but maybe that might be considered a feature?

Alternatively, if you happen to know how to make my current setup work with HDMI given the driver issue, that'd be great too.
a c 187 U Graphics card
April 9, 2012 3:29:55 AM

intel wont write a driver for windows 8 till it goes rtm. you should be able with windows 8 to install the latest windows 7 drivers.
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=...

the other video card that has the same spec and it a little less money is ati 6870. due to ati and nvidia having issues with the new 22 die's there both having issuse getting new product to market. it wont be intill may that nvidia going to come out with 670 gpu..there just 680 that failed qa. for mayself building a new rig i would wait for the nvidia 110 keplar or look into the 7000x.
becuase your getting good frame rate with a cooler and less power hungry chips.
April 9, 2012 3:44:09 AM

Unfortunately Intel's drivers block installation on an operating system different than intended. And trying to modify them to force them to install causes them to become unsigned, and the consumer preview blocks unsigned drivers.

I'd really prefer to get this fixed sooner rather than later, so if that means getting a video card, I'll probably go with something that's available now.
Related resources
a c 175 U Graphics card
April 9, 2012 5:34:36 AM

I think that card will be nice for your system, 560 ti is considered as a very good card with excellent value and many people call it the 'sweet spot' of cards. I don't think there is anything limited on your system. The CPU is fine, the G620 even sometimes in par with AMD FX-4100 in gaming paired with 7970.
a c 109 U Graphics card
April 9, 2012 6:22:06 AM

Still works!! :D 
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2012 5:18:05 PM

If you're going to spend $230 on that Gigabyte card I would seriously consider one of the following for only a bit more....

MSI GTX 560 Ti Hawk $249

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

EVGA GTX 570 OC

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The MSI GTX 560 Ti because it's built with heavy duty components and extra power phase circuits that allow insane overclocks of 1100+MHz (stock 822MHz) and runs nearly as quickly as a stock GTX 570, and the EVGA GTX 570 because it's an insanely good deal at $289.

If those are too expensive then the one you've posted is still a great board and will work without any issues.
April 9, 2012 5:27:41 PM

I dont understand, you wanted intel HD from G620, and you are trying to change to a 560 Ti? whit the posibility for SLI in the future? :S Thats weird...

You should get a 550Ti, its like 400% better than Intel hd, even the HD3000.
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2012 5:36:19 PM

einterlan said:
I dont understand, you wanted intel HD from G620, and you are trying to change to a 560 Ti? whit the posibility for SLI in the future? :S Thats weird...

You should get a 550Ti, its like 400% better than Intel hd, even the HD3000.

I second this, it doesn't seem to add up. What exactly are you using the system for? other than just wanting to use Windows 8?....and from the looks of the other parts, doesn't seem like you were gunning for a gaming rig, so I really doubt you need a $200 gpu.

I'd say just get this AMD Radeon HD 6670 ( regular size HDMI ) : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

* If I'm misinterpreting then yes, I think the 560ti you mentioned is a fine choice...rounds out to $210 after rebate, best Price/Performance of any card right now ( other than 7870 ) ....to me 7850 is a bit expensive @$250+ ....
April 9, 2012 5:40:20 PM

It's a system that I needed to just have up and running now but want to be able to use for gaming in the near future by upgrading specific parts. I just didn't have the money to do a gaming rig immediately.
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2012 5:43:46 PM

talleymj said:
It's a system that I needed to just have up and running now but want to be able to use for gaming in the near future by upgrading specific parts. I just didn't have the money to do a gaming rig immediately.

I get you now, well then yeah, that 560ti is a really good card, and the one I bought from MSI actually came with a mini hdmi to hdmi adapter, maybe that one does also, if not you can get one, or buy a cable with those 2 heads.
April 9, 2012 6:07:27 PM

Get a 570 for $20 dollars more, well worth it. There is no reason not too, you would be shooting yourself in the foot by buying the 560. If money is NOT an issue get a 680 faster than two 570s in SLI and cheaper than two.
April 9, 2012 6:21:12 PM

Money is definitely an issue. I can go up some, but I don't see myself spending more than $300 on this.

Is there a specific 570 that's only $20 more? I'm not sure I saw one.
April 9, 2012 6:57:49 PM

I'm having trouble understanding the basic differences here. Is there a good article to read on making these comparisons?

I'm just not sure how to judge the many cards in the $200-$300 price range.
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2012 8:03:15 PM

"System Usage from Most to Least Important: Streaming video to TV connected via HDMI, using virtualization to run multiple OSs simultaneously, web browsing, light gaming, VOIP/video chatting. "

560 ti /570 for light gaming is a bit much.

What games and at what quality display?
April 9, 2012 8:37:34 PM

The performance on the 560 Ti 448 seems really good, but I can't find much on the EVGA model. I'm really surprised there's only one fan on it, considering the Gigabyte model has 3.

I'm also not sure what to make about the fact that the 448 version seems to be a limited release, which could prevent me for doing SLI if I don't do it soon.

I'm probably focusing on little things that don't really matter much, but I'm still trying to figure fairly basic things out.

As for what games, I can't say for sure. I haven't really been able to try them because I haven't had a computer that's capable. So I'm trying to make sure I'll be able to play the major games and find ones that I like. I won't need them to be at top resolutions regardless.
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2012 9:06:11 PM

In your previous post you mentioned purchasing a monitor that has a max resolution of 1920x1080, so if you figure your gaming will be on that or an HD TV (also 1920x1080) then realistically a GTX 560 Ti will play nearly anything out there at that resolution on high/ultra. If you can get a 560 Ti with 448 core for the same price then that would also be a great option. The only reason to SLI at this point is "future proofing" as much as I hate that phrase.
a b U Graphics card
April 10, 2012 12:28:39 AM

The model ending with AR (link one) has a lifetime warranty, the model ending in KR (link two), has a three year warranty. The actual cards are physically identical.

The third one isn't the reference design, but it's darn close. The first two cards carry an OC of 900MHz and feature a non-reference design cooling solution, while the last card is just a reference design clocked at 850MHz (stock is 822MHz).

If you care about silence then the first two are better as the added fans facillitate lower speeds and less noise to keep the card cool. This will also enable you to overclock the card higher if you decided to do so. That said, for $40-50 less I'd probably go with the refence card in your card in your case.

If you google the EVGA model number you can bring up a spec sheet from EVGA that will allow you to compare the riduculous multitude of models they sell.

April 10, 2012 1:41:43 AM

Thanks. I was actually staring at the spec sheets for some time and it just never occurred to me that the warranty would be the difference.

I'm not familiar with the "reference" term you used. Is a reference card where they just manufacture the nVidia specs without modification?
a c 109 U Graphics card
April 10, 2012 4:58:32 AM

I'm afraid there is always a possibility of bottlenecking. Though the best option would be the msi 560ti 448 cores, it costs the same price with the rebate.
April 10, 2012 5:47:47 AM

for 280 the 570 is a good deal, I like them better than the 560ti-448s. 560ti-448s are a limited card, making it harder to get in the future for SLI. 560ti-448 is just a little slower than a 570 though. So if you want to SLI in the future spend just a little more, if not a 560ti-448 is good.
a b U Graphics card
April 10, 2012 11:44:00 AM

talleymj said:
I'm not familiar with the "reference" term you used. Is a reference card where they just manufacture the nVidia specs without modification?

Yes, that's exactly what it is.
April 10, 2012 1:49:23 PM

Thanks everyone for help with this.

I was able, however, to get my integrated card to work by doing a fresh install of Windows and preventing it from downloading drivers. So I'm probably going to wait until May, as I originally planned, to buy a graphics card. This will all probably still be helpful, but I'm going to do more research and might come back then with more questions.

Thanks again!
!