Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Converting 8-pin ATX 12V on PSU to 4-pin on CPU?

Last response: in Components
October 5, 2012 12:00:35 AM

With this being the first time I've ever replaced a PSU, I stupidly purchased a PSU with an 8-pin ATX 12V, while the CPU port on my MB only has a 4-pin. Would it be safe to use a converter that converts the ATX 12V to a 4-pin (or a converter that converts the 4-pin CPU port to an 8-pin, whichever is best)? Does a converter of this nature even exist? If so, what's the best for my situation (tried doing a Google search but wanted to hear it from the experts first).

Thanks in advance guys.
a b ) Power supply
a c 109 à CPUs
October 5, 2012 12:02:02 AM

What PSU did you purchase? Most PSU's nowadays have a 4+4 pin (meaning 4 of the 8 pins break away like the 20+4 on the motherboard connector).

If you purchased something from the Corsair CX-XXX line, look carefully and you should see a line that splits the 4 pins in half.
Related resources

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
a c 109 à CPUs
October 5, 2012 12:09:54 AM

Look at your 8-pin CPU connector again, you should see a line going down the middle (I can see it in the picture of the connectors, though very slight).

If you can't find the split-point, you could always plug one half of the connector and let the other half stick out :)  The holes are keyed so they can only go in one way!
October 5, 2012 12:14:07 AM

Excellent, I had no idea you could do that. Thanks a ton!
October 5, 2012 12:14:09 AM

Best answer selected by darthdusty.
a b ) Power supply
a c 109 à CPUs
October 5, 2012 12:16:03 AM

You're very welcome! :) 
!