New Build - No Picture - A8

skokiegeorge

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
Hello everyone -

First, I want to say I checked out the wonderful troubleshooting thread for new computer builds/issues. I did not find mine here.

Just built a new rig. It is my third rig I've built, I'm not super PC smart, but I've built gaming computers before.

This rig is an HTPC for a friend.

I have -

An AMD A8 3850 CPU
8GB corsair DDR3 Ram
500 Cooler Master PS
MSI ATX FM1 Motherboard (compatible, I checked website prior to order)
Standard DVD/CD burner
500GB WD HD 7200 RPM
Zalman ATX Mid Case

The computer boots up. All the fans are running. There is no beeping. But I am not getting a picture to get into BIOS and install Windows.

I am using a DVI to HDMI for picture, also tried straight HDMI. Nothing. CD tray opens up, I hear the HD working, too.

What is wrong here? Does it have something to do with the A8? I am relaying on that to be my GPU.

Please help. Thank you.

Solution
the mb need bios 1.3 to post with that cpu. check for a bios lable on the mb or box if it older then 1.1 you need to find an older cpu that on the 1.1 bios list and post the mb once and flash it. the other issues is make sure you uses the mb standoffs and not shorting the mb out.

skokiegeorge

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012

How can I do that with no picture? Do I download the updated BIOS on a flashdrive, plug in new rig and hit power?

Thanks for the comments thus far.

NoUserBar

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
Do you have non digital analog to try? Maybe you have to 'turn on' HDMI for it to use it. (like with my monitor I can put the monitor to HDMI mode, and the screen goes blank :/ bios or not since no connection is there ..lol)

not hdmi to analog but plain old dvi to dvi and the like

skokiegeorge

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012

That's what I was thinking this whole time ... I just don't have that old RGB cable, Id have to buy one. I'll give it a shot, my gut tells me you are right, though.

It just surprises me because nobody on the Internet has mentioned anything about this, so a part of me doesnt thing that is the problem, too.

To walmart ...

skokiegeorge

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
Does NOT work. Just tried VGA. $24.99 at best buy lol ... ill be returning that crap!

My motherboard is A75A-G35 MSI

Who is the master genius that can give me a picture so I can install software! Please help! :pt1cable:

NoUserBar

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
Well what, I was thinking along the lines of my monitor, when I first used it the screen was blank, it was because the HDMI/DVI button was pressed and was on HDMI instead of dvi (the cord I was useing was dvi). So I guessed that something could happen to switch those things back in forth within soft-ware or other hardware means as well.

You could also have some other sort of incompatibility going on..

btw $24 for a dvi cable? Isn't that a little expensive.. I would return it too if I was you. I"m sure you can get a much cheaper one bought online if really wanted one..

gah it seems I misunderstood myself?

skokiegeorge

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012

Yea, already said I was gonna return it, soley bought it to test :D

I checked settings, it was on HDMI, DVI and VGA during all tests. The monitor I tested is the one I use for my main rig and I am using it right now. No problems with monitor it words perfect (ASUS LED 24")

I'm not sure there is incompatibility. I checked to make sure my CPU worked with MB and you can check yourself (i doubt you want to) but the two work. The Computer boots fine. The HD is working. The CD is working (opening) there is zero beeping ... At this point I think I got a bad board, which is a shame because I buy MSI MB and GPUs all the time because they are great, IMO.

If someone has a solution, please offer. Thanks.

spankmon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Just some possibilities:
Maybe the dvi -> hdmi adapter cable is the problem. I would try just a straight hdmi -> hdmi or dvi -> dvi (whichever your monitor accepts).
Maybe the BIOS splash screen isn't showing, or it's flashing by too quickly. Try hitting the Delete key repeatedly, immediately after turning the power on.
Have you tried booting with the installation cd already in the tray?

When you boot up, does the monitor give you the "No Signal" message?

skokiegeorge

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012

I've tried booting with CD in, nothing.
I've tried 2 different HDMI cables, nothing
I've tried hooking up to my TV via HDMI, nothing
I've tried messing with the jumpers (for this board you have to mess with jumpers to choose between HDMI or DVI) nothing
I've tried hitting delete, F5, etc, nothing.

At this point, I have a bad board. I cannot find anyone else with this problem and I don't know what else it could be. It just kills me becuasue the computer boots fine, doesn't beep and everything else is working. I'm just really worried I may have to take out CPU, Ive never done that before and I'm scared I;ll bend pin. Got it from NewEgg.

spankmon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
One more possibility; maybe check that the "Clear CMOS" jumper is in the correct position. I remember reading a post last month where the mobo came out of the box with the jumper on the wrong ("clear") pins. You may even want to try clearing the CMOS and then moving the jumper back to it's correct position, and rebooting.

the mb need bios 1.3 to post with that cpu. check for a bios lable on the mb or box if it older then 1.1 you need to find an older cpu that on the 1.1 bios list and post the mb once and flash it. the other issues is make sure you uses the mb standoffs and not shorting the mb out.

Solution

skokiegeorge

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012

So, I called MSI today and you are indeed right. I need bios 1.3 to post, the latest bios is 1.6 (I had 1.0)

I had NO way of knowing this when ordering as NewEgg doesn't even know what version they ship; someone else who ordered same product could get newer version.

Anyway, they returned it and were real cool about it. Got CPU out no problem. Another lesson learned in computer building. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Best,

George

TRENDING THREADS