Repost: System freezes during theme change

January 26, 2005 11:19:25 PM

XP folks,

Any help out there for this problem?

Windows XP, with SP2.
I always used the classic theme, but recently decided to try
the Windows XP theme. The theme is present among the
available choices. The theme service is running. During the
change I get a popup window that says "Please wait." Then the
system freezes so bad that ALT+F4 doesn't work,
CTRL+ALT+DELETE doesn't bring up the task manager, and the
power switch on the PC doesn't work either! My only recourse
is to unplug the PC from the wall.

I checked KB 823768, but all the files indicated are where
they should be. I have run the system file checker (SFC
/scannow) also, but still no joy.

Thanks for listening.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 11:19:26 PM

Have you checked for the latest XP Compatible drivers at your graphics card
manufacturer's website?

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User